Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Bobajobbob

New in Town
How long did it take to make if you don't mind me asking and did you just take a stab at the measurements or carefully log evey dimension before ordering?

Stand By

One Too Many
Very interesting thread. I'm looking for an Invin type jacket and until i started digging I had no idea how hard it would be to find a good one. I'm not too concerned with absolute authenticity but I am concerned with the right aesthetics (for me) which means chesnut coloured leather rather than the darker sealskin option. Fleece colour also needs to be more golden rather than white or ginger. Having looked at the myriad of options available I'm also leanigt towards he pre war designs with single panels of leather. Both the aero and Aces High jackets look fabulous whereas the Aviation Leathercraft jackets seem to be much too dark with fluffy ginger wool which just isn't a great look (or the photos are bad). The downside of the Aero and Aces High jackets is that they are made to internet order and quite expensive which makes me a little uncomfortable as I won't be able to try on any jacket before spending the money.

Can anyone in England recomend a retailer where I can actually walk in and try on some jackets to get an idea of the size and shape of these jackets? I normally where a 42 regular suit but have learnt from experience that when buying leather jackets this has very little bearing.

thks

One option would be to wait until July 13th and 14th and head up to RAF Duxford for a day at the air show - it's just up the road from you (so to speak) in Cambridgeshire. There you'd be able to see the Eastman Leather Clothing tent, which stocks the entire range of their website, including the Irvins - and the racks are full of all the jackets in all sizes to try on.
And then you could wander over to the gift shop (near the static indoor museum area), and in there you'd be able to try on the Irvins by Aviation Leathercraft (you said that you're not too concerned with absolute authenticity) - and that would be good for you to compare the two tiers of quality vs price. You may really like the Aviation Leathercraft - it's a lot of bang for the buck, so to speak (certainly in terms of warmth) and may well appeal .... but then again, when you see what IS available in terms of the ELC, you may decide that it's better to save a bit extra and aim higher - and if you do, I would suggest that you also look at Aero, Alexander Leathers and Aces High too ...
There is no true right and wrong as it's all personal choices at the end of the day - and what the wallet can withstand too and finding out for yourself just how much authenticity you're prepared to pay for and how much it matters to you. But if you're in no hurry, heading up to the air show for a recce would make sense.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
How long did it take to make if you don't mind me asking and did you just take a stab at the measurements or carefully log evey dimension before ordering?

It took about four months from order to get mine . I live not that far from Gala, so I dropped by the place just before it was going to be made. Ken threw me a 38 in the new pattern, then called Bertie in, who makes all the shearling jackets, to have a look. Both agreed that a standard 38 would do the job - which is what you can see there.
Basically, I would recommend emailing Holly about the dimensions, but to me the thing about the Irvin is that it shouldn't fit like a tailored leather jacket.
Just look at 'Killy' Kilmartin's - at least two sizes too big, he needs to roll his cuffs to smoke, but very, very cool!
Kilmartin.jpg

Bobajobbob

New in Town
One option would be to wait until July 13th and 14th and head up to RAF Duxford for a day at the air show - it's just up the road from you (so to speak) in Cambridgeshire. There you'd be able to see the Eastman Leather Clothing tent, which stocks the entire range of their website, including the Irvins - and the racks are full of all the jackets in all sizes to try on.
And then you could wander over to the gift shop (near the static indoor museum area), and in there you'd be able to try on the Irvins by Aviation Leathercraft (you said that you're not too concerned with absolute authenticity) - and that would be good for you to compare the two tiers of quality vs price. You may really like the Aviation Leathercraft - it's a lot of bang for the buck, so to speak (certainly in terms of warmth) and may well appeal .... but then again, when you see what IS available in terms of the ELC, you may decide that it's better to save a bit extra and aim higher - and if you do, I would suggest that you also look at Aero, Alexander Leathers and Aces High too ...
There is no true right and wrong as it's all personal choices at the end of the day - and what the wallet can withstand too and finding out for yourself just how much authenticity you're prepared to pay for and how much it matters to you. But if you're in no hurry, heading up to the air show for a recce would make sense.

Thanks for the info. Does Eastman have a presence in the UK. I always assumed that they were a US company so ordering over the internet might be a pain in the event of a size issue. If they are shipping from the UK then much easier to manage sizing problems. I'll take a look at their site. Given the weather I was hoping to pick up a jacket for this winter not next so that may exclude an Aero if its going to take 4 months to deliver.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You might want to have a look at American Classics in Covent Garden, they stock off the peg Eastman jackets - dunno if they have Irvins at the mo', but they definitely have G-1s, which would be a warm substitute.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks for the info. Does Eastman have a presence in the UK. I always assumed that they were a US company so ordering over the internet might be a pain in the event of a size issue. If they are shipping from the UK then much easier to manage sizing problems. I'll take a look at their site. Given the weather I was hoping to pick up a jacket for this winter not next so that may exclude an Aero if its going to take 4 months to deliver.

With all due respect, I would kindly advise against letting something like a delivery date be the determining factor when investing in a top-end product like an Irvin - something that will last you many years/decades to come, so make it an enlightened choice. I suspect that one maker will appeal to you more than another - for whatever reason that may be (fit/ colour/ appearance or materials) - so if you do drop by the store in Covent Garden as Sloan suggests (and that's a good call, Sloan) and like what you see, then I'd suggest holding off on any impulse buy as you may well like Irvins by Aero and Alexander Leathers - both in the UK too. And do look at the Aviation Leathercraft type (I'd say it's more Championship League than Premier League, but having had one, I know it has its own appeal - and I loved mine for 18 yrs - until I upgraded. My brother still loves his and won't upgrade as he's just not bothered about the difference - it doesn't mean enough to him, and that's his choice and it's okay). They're all Irvins, yes - but they're different in their own subtle ways (like Pepsi/Coke) and one will "speak" to you more than another - to the extent that one you won't feel like dropping some savings for - and another you will without hesitation ... and you may just gravitate to one company more than another with their customer service too.
I'm just saying that the hunt is a very enjoyable one - and the more you know as you go, the more there is to appreciate with these things - and the reward can then come in the Autumn when you have your jacket of choice and you wear it with a t-shirt and layers after that. By then you'll feel much better in that you made the right and enlightened choice first time ....
So if you like the ELC jackets (and I'm sure you will as they are very fine, IMO - I have their Irvin) - just do yourself a favour and make the effort to look up Aero and AL too. You never know .... Good hunting!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All sound advice, if you like the look of the Eastman's, if you can it's worth a trip down to see them in Devon to try the jackets on & get their expert advice. Bit of a drive but very much worth it. I made the journey & came back with a BOB Irvin which has served me well over the last few years. In fact I then made several other trips that put a smile on my face but a dent in my bank balance. :)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you want a really accurate Irvin then Eastman and Aces High are the way to go. Second hand ELC Irvins often come up for sale on Ebay for around £400. Alternatively you can still buy wearable originals.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Don't leave out Aces High just because they comes from France. Jon is british and the most service minded chap I have come across for a long time in this business. It's a small business - almost one jacket at a time. Tailor made by himself. And he takes his time listening to you, sends you pictures and updates all the way through the whole process.
Helps you out with measures and even take back the jacket for small alterations, if you are not completely satisfied.
Besides that I do believe his jackets has the color you are looking for. Chestnut on the outside with honey to golden ginger short, tight curly fleece.
I can only recommend, that you contact him.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
If you want a really accurate Irvin then Eastman and Aces High are the way to go. Second hand ELC Irvins often come up for sale on Ebay for around £400. Alternatively you can still buy wearable originals.

Sage advice Andrew.

And good call StandBy with Duxford, that way you get vintage aircraft and the chance to visit ELC's spot there!

Saying that, with ELC I ordered over the phone and via email with Gary and he was a joy to deal with. Sent him my measurements, told him what fit I wanted and followed his advice and got a perfect fit. Gary has been doing this a very long time and really knows his onions with sizing.

Also Jon's jackets look absolutely amazing. Søren's one posted on the other page back is one of the very, very best repros I have seen and the fleece is beautiful.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Søren, looking forward to seeing yours in the flesh when we get back "North". A few whiskies and Irvins in a certain garden in Gjentofte sound just the ticket ;)

Especially considering the bloody weather down this way!

devilish

A-List Customer
All sound advice, if you like the look of the Eastman's, if you can it's worth a trip down to see them in Devon to try the jackets on & get their expert advice. Bit of a drive but very much worth it. I made the journey & came back with a BOB Irvin which has served me well over the last few years. In fact I then made several other trips that put a smile on my face but a dent in my bank balance. :)

They let you visit? Do they have a retail outlet? A couple years ago I sent them an email asking if I could go there and check it out and they replied saying that they didn't allow personal visits because it was against 'elf and safety' rules. When I go home to visit family they live about 30 mins away and it would be great to go check things out. Not too mention there are a bunch of good hiking places close by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou