Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Yes. Well remembered Tim. Some time ago I posted pictures in the other large Irvin thread of a 1941-2 DGL jacket made from a copper coloured fleece.

I saw that one and I do like it. I was wondering if mine might be even older than I thought and might be of a similar age as this one you posted here a few pages back. The label may not to fit the 2005-2007 time frame. Or does it?

P1140333_zps5b0f909c.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yes. Well remembered Tim. Some time ago I posted pictures in the other large Irvin thread of a 1941-2 DGL jacket made from a copper coloured fleece.

I thought it was one of yours Andrew ;) Good looking jacket that!

Capes, one of the problems with wartime jackets is that 99.9% of photos from the era are in black and white and don't fully convey the range of fleece colours that were used. I have a very large interest (some would say, and have done in the past here, obsession :) ) in Fighter Command in the Battles of France/Britain and have literally thousands of photos from the period. Even in b&w these show a large range in tonality of fleece colour.

However it would be nice to know the exact date of your jacket. Have you emailed Gary and asked? He should be able to narrow down the period of your jacket.

One of the really nice things with ELC jackets is how they wear. Most seem to wear very like originals. If you hang onto that and wear it, it'll develop a wonderful patina. It's one of the reasons ELCs hold onto a lot of their value.

But you want the ultimate darker fleece? How about a black fleece Irvin which was made in very small numbers - I'm still waiting for Gary to offer a version. Although Andrew is an owner of an original and might just post photos if you ask nicely enough ;)

Enjoy the Irvin and wear it heaps!

Tim

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Would he be able to pin down the date from some pictures and a label then?

Like I said I'm not looking for anything else. But I remember Irvins in the darker fleece and friend practically lived in an original with dark fur in the early seventies. He used to wear it in the summer too and looked a bit of a plonker at times to be honest.

Actually a lot earlier than that my mother cut one up to make slippers for me and my sister. That would have been around 1951/2 and that I remember well had the darker fleece. Even though I was very young I remember saying that it was a shame to destroy it. But my father said most of it was gone anyway so we might as well make use of what's left...

I think Andrew did post some pictures of that black one. I still like the dark brown fleece though. Maybe it's the memory of that Irvin my mother cut up that clings to me like an old song. Most of our desires and most of what we will become are formed around that age.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
That's got a very nice colour to it.

Andrew do you think it's possible that my jacket might be as old as the early Eastman of your's which I copied at the top of the page? I have no idea how long it was stored.

Bobajobbob

New in Town
Don't leave out Aces High just because they comes from France. Jon is british and the most service minded chap I have come across for a long time in this business. It's a small business - almost one jacket at a time. Tailor made by himself. And he takes his time listening to you, sends you pictures and updates all the way through the whole process.
Helps you out with measures and even take back the jacket for small alterations, if you are not completely satisfied.
Besides that I do believe his jackets has the color you are looking for. Chestnut on the outside with honey to golden ginger short, tight curly fleece.
I can only recommend, that you contact him.

Thanks to everyone for the advice above. I'm not adverse to buying clothes on the internet but call me old fashioned to I do prefer to try something on first. I think the doubt has grown in my mind recently having bought this A2 http://www.thekingofcool.com/clothing/the-great-escape-captain-hilts-a2-leather-jacket.html. I originally went for 42, sent it back for 44 and 44 still didn't fit properly. As I normally take a 42 regular this dented my confidence somewhat in jacket sizes. Owning a few Belstaff jackets only compounds this as their dimensions vary enormously. At least with the a2 above I could send it back but I doubt this is possible if you go the Aero or Aces high route and could you imagine the disappointment having waiting months for the thing to arrive!

Of course if you measure twice and cut once the jackets should fit perfectly but that element of doubt sticks in my mind.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
You can certainly send a badly fitting jacket back to Aero and they'll make it again. It could take a long time though. AL the same. I don't know Eastman's policy there but I think any maker will exchange if it doesn't fit. Assuming no major mods.

Aces High sounds more like a bespoke artisan service so he would get it right. Part of what you pay the extra for.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I can only recommend that you contact Jon. (Aces High) He makes the jackets himself and with great passion. He got my measures and he knew exactly what size to make. When I got it, it had a perfect fit. Or should I say: A original fit. They are large and bulky and should be like that.
I only had one small problem. I felt that the collar was a bit too generous. I told Jon about it and right away he told me to send it back and he did the alteration and even fitted new and more original Lightning (repro) zips. No charge! I only payed the postage one way. Jon pay the other way.
That's what I call "bespoken artisan service"

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's got a very nice colour to it.

Andrew do you think it's possible that my jacket might be as old as the early Eastman of your's which I copied at the top of the page? I have no idea how long it was stored.

I suspect it is of a similar date judging by the skin which looks identical.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Thanks Andrew. I know you and others have said that the early ones were the best copies, so if this is one that's a result. One last thing then I'll leave it. Is the label on yours the same as this?

Because this label is on the 1942 patterns on the later ones.

$_58.JPG

hippomaintenance

New in Town
Hi Capesofrath,

I won an Eastman that finished just before yours. I'm a 38" and so thought that a 44" would very much over do the John ignatious Kilmartin look but I though it was a stunning jacket. It's the same as mine and the one that Andrew has before Gary did the broken grain jackets. If you do wear the hell out of it I would like to know how the fleece on the inside of the cuffs wears. It is general opinion that the sleeves should be unzipped up to 3 or 4" causing less wear. The broken grain ones seem to wear quicker but I must say that after a bit of Pecards to stop the feeling that your wearing a cardboard box and a little wear they look exactly like the early IAC jackets. I must admit that I'm a bit of a wuss and treat them with love and tenderness. I still prefer the jackets like you have got to the broken grain ones. Great buy you have there.

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ok guys, here's some pics of my 2007 ELC BoB Pattern. Sorry they were taken just now at night but I will endeavour to take some in natural light when I get a chance. They are a combination of flash and non-flash. The flash brings out the reddish tones of the outside hide far more and in truth the true colour is closer to the non-flash pics. Anyway hope they might be of interest. Haven't posted any photos of this jacket since it was fairly new and being lugged around in loads of snow in Norway, very surreal considering it's 12:33am here and 28.1 degrees Celsius - I got hot just looking at it!

DSCF1394.jpg DSCF1393.jpg DSCF1380.jpg DSCF1382.jpg DSCF1384.jpg

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Nicely broken in jacket. It'll take me a while to get near that I should think with the bloody rain we're having here constantly. I've got a B3 which I've had for twenty years and that hasn't been worn all winter. Forecast is for colder weather at the end of the week...

Thanks hippo. Do you have a broken grain one and the one you just bought? I had a quick look but I couldn't see one which went through just before mine.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Ok guys, here's some pics of my 2007 ELC BoB Pattern. Sorry they were taken just now at night but I will endeavour to take some in natural light when I get a chance. They are a combination of flash and non-flash. The flash brings out the reddish tones of the outside hide far more and in truth the true colour is closer to the non-flash pics. Anyway hope they might be of interest. Haven't posted any photos of this jacket since it was fairly new and being lugged around in loads of snow in Norway, very surreal considering it's 12:33am here and 28.1 degrees Celsius - I got hot just looking at it!

View attachment 8869 View attachment 8870 View attachment 8871 View attachment 8872 View attachment 8873

Great patina and a stellar example on what heavy use and mistreatment can do to a shiny new jacket. Great work, mate!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Dear Smithy
some time ago, inspiration to buy my ELC Irvin were your photos!!! txs txs txs

Wow thanks Kowalski, the fact that my photos inspired you to get an Irvin is the nicest compliment I could possibly receive :)

Great patina and a stellar example on what heavy use and mistreatment can do to a shiny new jacket. Great work, mate!

Thanks old boy! TBH mine has been treated very "rigorously". As I mentioned it's been slept in, had pints of beer spilt on it, worn whilst tobogganing (and the inevitable crashes), used as a blanket, fallen onto ice, worn during rain, hail and snow, and even been stuffed in a ball at the bottom of a packing case and stored like that for 6 months when we shifted country. Short of being shot at it's seen most of everything and it's all the better for it! And the best thing is it's developing a nice patina similar to wartime jackets. I can understand people being cautious of these repros considering the price they invest in them but they are more than up to the challenge of being worn hard, and IMHO look all the better for it!

hippomaintenance

New in Town
Hi Capes,

I have the early BOB from Ebay, a 38" broken grain well worn and a 40" broken grain that is in mint condition. I really must try to get the posting pics thing sorted as I have a few of the Jackets plus pics of my original 36 flying boots and a couple of pairs of Lewis Leathers boots from new to post on a different section. And Smithy, I still think these are the best looking jackets of all the Repros.

Cheers,
Dave.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Hi Capes,

I have the early BOB from Ebay, a 38" broken grain well worn and a 40" broken grain that is in mint condition. I really must try to get the posting pics thing sorted as I have a few of the Jackets plus pics of my original 36 flying boots and a couple of pairs of Lewis Leathers boots from new to post on a different section. And Smithy, I still think these are the best looking jackets of all the Repros.

Cheers,
Dave.

So you've got three Eastmans? How old is the early BoB? I didn't see it going through eBay.

Since the vBulletin upgrade it's easy to post pictures. Just hover on the icons on the toolbar above the reply box and the blue/green square icon will come up with insert image. Then click it and choose from computor in the pop up box, and browse your HD for the image. Open it and upload it.

That's how it works with me. There may be minor differences with the OS.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou