Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All things Sewing Machines!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
PA Dancer said:
I was a little unsure where to put this question.
I did a search and saw on the threads on sewing machines.

Lessons and FAQ'a
My First Machine
New vs Vintage
And so on.

None really related to someone looking for a new machine who knows how to sew....and I dare not start a dup thread. lol

Sometimes its just a matter of picking the closest.....

buying a new machine...is closest to 'buying a first machine'....in terms of things like 'features, cost, etc.'

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Kishtu said:
Ann, this is going to be absolutely NO use to you whatsoever but wot the heck.

When me and Himself started the business we went through electric sewing machines like a thing not right. Seriously, we were taking them back within the week, they just couldn't handle sewing anything more heavy duty than cotton.

So..... *drum roll*

He found me a very, very vintage Singer, so old it's not even a treadle (we're guessing late 30s/early 40s - next model up from the one with the built in table!) I would recommend an old hand-cranked machine over electric every time.
1) You can "feel" the tension on the hand wheel, so if your needle is struggling to go through gathers or heavy fabric you can stop and readjust your work. Forcing it will either bust your needle or eventually mess your tracking up.
2) If you live in a flat or with other people, you can start sewing at 6am, or finish at 4 - it's much quieter than a motor
3) It's more environmentally friendly :p
4) They're a heck of a sight sturdier than a lot of modern models - unless you're prepared to pay serious money for an all-singing and all-dancing model.
5) You can usually fix 'em yourself, if you're mechanically minded - they're pretty simple machinery.

Singer, and vintage. EVERY time. That one cos me £20 from a charity shop. It does absolutely nothing but straight sewing, but my goodness! it's a workhorse!

I have my greandmothers old machine in the table top with the foot pedal, and love it love it love it, I sewed my first of everything on that machine. But it does need some work. When I get ambitious, I'll take it apart and grease it up.

But it doesn't have all those fancy new things all these other ones can do. I really like the idea of a button holer, and all those fancy stitches, etc.
: )

So it leads me to ask what features would you want in a new machine to make sewing life easier?

Elaina

One Too Many
I do the majority my sewing on a 1927 66 Singer. There's nothing out there I don't have the attachments for, and IMO the buttonholer attachment makes better buttonholes then a modern machine can do. (Hand cranks are pretty much of the same years treadles are, as they're both non-electrics, just one takes up a heck of a lot more room.)

I do own electrics, matter of fact I have a 1950's Universal for my ZigZag and a 201 Singer for denim and heavy fabrics, an old 1880's handcrank because it seems to sew lawn the best, and I don't care for all the decorative stitches anyway. It's often just me, but I prefer to have the construction and tailoring speak for the work, not that I'd put anyone down that does it different. So, when I bought my treadle I wanted it to have a drop in bobbin, able to go backwards and forwards (and it actually does with something that was added on to it) and was full sized that worked so I didn't have to do alot of work on it. I got all but the last, but I did fix it anyway.

And because you're likely to get opinions on everything from older then dirt to more then the price of a car, the best thing to do is seriously think of what you need/want in a machine, set a price and go test drive the machines with your own thread and material (it's important because they tend to demo with fabrics and thread you'll never use) till you find one that calls out to you.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
PA Dancer said:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a new sewing machine. I haven't had a new one in over ten years, and I know there is a lot more the machine can do now.

With everyone who sews here on this forum I thought I would get some opinions on some of the features before I buy.

Which features do you wish you had on your machine to make sewing life easier?

Which machines are you absolutely in love with?

Thanks,
Ann
I LOVE Pfaffs. I have both a computerized embroidery Pfaff and a plain ole' mechanized Pfaff. Both are good, solid workhorses. I also have a 2 year old Babylock computerized machine, that while is fantastic for embroidery, is not a good garment making machine. My original plan was to sell my older, computerized Pfaff after buying the Babylock. Now, I use the Babylock only for embroidery and the Pfaff only for sewing. Prior to the Pfaff, I had a great Janome that had been dropped by movers a couple times and still ran like a dream. The only reason I sold it was to get money to buy the computerized Pfaff. I also own a Janome serger that is 10 years old and still runs like a dream. I love the one-step buttonholer. All modern computerized machine come with them. You enter the size of your button, then press a button and it does the hole thing. I also love that it sews the buttons on, again all in one step. If you're interested in embroidery, I can go into more detail that I discovered when I researched them last year before buying my Babylock. You can get a computerized machine that isn't an embroidery machine, if you want the one step buttonholer and a bunch of other stitches. An overlock stitch is great if you don't own a serger. I think one of the most important factors in your search is the dealer. When you get a new machine, the dealer should offer you classes. These are very important if you get a computerized machine!

olive bleu

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Hi girls~ I have a 1956 Kenmore sewing machine. I don't sew much, and don't know much about machines. I am more afraid of them than computers! I have a brand new machine I got TWO Christmas' ago that is still in the box because I'm petrified of it.

But now my old one is acting up. I try to run something thru and it just stays in the same place with a whirling sound as if the belt is loose. It's not the belt, and I changed it just to be sure. I oiled it. I checked the tension. There aren't any tangled threads. I can't figure it out, any ideas? It was fine last time I used it! I do love this machine and will take it somewhere if need be.

Nikki

How old is the needle in the machine?I have a fairly old Kenmore that I inherited from my Mother-in-law.I was going mad because it was acting up so much.I assumed it just wasn't a great machine,and it was something I would have to live with.Actually, although I have been sewing for about 15 years,I have always had hand-me -down machines and always encountered the same problem.One day i was sewing when a friend dropped by (who sews for a living) and told me that she puts in a new needle for every project.I did this for the last 2 projects I did, as well as for the dress I am working on now and it's like I have a brand new Machine!Who knew?:eek:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
PA Dancer,

I intern at a sewing lounge, and Ive worked on (as in made full projects) about 10 different current models of machine ranging from $200 to $2500+
Pfaft, Bernina, Jenome, Brother,Singer (which I own) Elna, and a couple of rather unheard of names that escape me :)

Truth be told, I always tell this to those I teach, get a middle range machine for a first. If you KNOW what you are doing, and have the money to splurge, I would SO buy a high end Bernina.

Bluntly, its one of the most fantastic machines I have ever worked on. I have never been on a computerized machine that didnt interfere with the process of making something, except this one. They have a whole lot of crap you will prolly never use, but they are the quietest machines I have ever used, and they make the most fantastic, amazing, crisp button holes I have ever witnessed on this planet.

No kidding.

Seriously.

Amazing lol

It has TONS of cons; all its parts are propritary (except needles) which I hate, AND because its computerized, it completes the full cycle of a stitch, so the olny way to have the needle stay in the fabric is to walk the stitch, which I HATE! :rage: But after using it for months now, and knowing its habbits, Im sold. *sigh*

But thats if you have tons of money. For the most part, I like the Phaft and Elna workhorses.

Singers are iffy now a days, cause there are so many companies making them. I still dont think you can go wrong with a Brother machine either.

ALright, Ill stop now.

LD

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Everyone,

Thank you so much for your help and opinions.

I would have never thought of bringing my own material and thread to try out machines. That's a great tip!

I've been pretty lucky with the ones I've owned so far.

I know I want a tough machine...when I am sewing right along I expect it to handle any thickness of material that I am trying to shove through it. But I also want one that can handle lace without shredding it.

I would like something that does button holes..I think that would be a nice feature and I never had a machine that does them for you.

And of course the standards of forward and reverse, a zig zag stitch and so on.

Thank you again everyone!
-Ann

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
...I would SO buy a high end Bernina.

Bluntly, its one of the most fantastic machines I have ever worked on. I have never been on a computerized machine that didnt interfere with the process of making something, except this one. They have a whole lot of crap you will prolly never use, but they are the quietest machines I have ever used, and they make the most fantastic, amazing, crisp button holes I have ever witnessed on this planet.
...LD

That machine sounds awesome!
I wonder if would make me eggs in the morning? lol

I like the idea of quiet. My grandmothers old singer shook the house when I used it!

The singer that I was using and regretful sold for 10 bucks at a yard sale was a fast machine and real easy yo use.

I called Singer the other day about their machines and they told me that the majority of them are made in China. So disappointing. A woman that I know who works in the craft department in WalMart said that she gets a lot of returns on the Singers now, but has been doing well with Brother.

The only thing I don't like about Brother is their customer service. When you call you talk to a machine, then you get hung up on when you think you are reaching a real live person.

Elaina

One Too Many
Singer, like most cheap sewing machines, are made mostly of plastic and aren't holding up well at all. My mom had one that at the 2 year mark (and she didn't sew on it often) died.

I was told that depending on what you want, what brand to get. Singer, IMO, makes the best vintage machines, but I'd have to go with a Bernia or an Elna if I was going to ever go modern.

But I'm not. I'm going to stick to my old treadle, Mike. *pats the treadle* I'm a people powered snob.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Ohairas,

Just take the new machine out of the box. You don't have to use the scary stitches right away. What kind of machine is it? Even if it is a fancy computerized one, they still do the straight stitch.

Just read the instructions enough that you can wind a bobbin and thread it. Then you can use the straight stitch or zig zag.

You can worry about the advanced features later.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
When I decided I needed to learn to use a sewing machine (hand sewing is such a chore) I of course looked for vintage. My bf had his gradmother's Singer from the 20s but me knowing nothing about sewing couldn't figure it out. I bought a cheap new singer that works fine and was a sinch to learn on. Then I was given an almost new Husquevarna machine which is heavenly. I haven't tried the ones lady day mentioned but I have to recommend the Husquevarna, very quiet, super easy to use and is also a workhorse.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I sew on 2 old machines. A '56 Singer Featherweight 221 and and old heavy metal White that used to be my aunts but I forget how old it is. From the late 70s or early 80s? I prefer them way better than the $150 Singer I picked up at Walmart.

I suggest that unless you have the big bucks right now to go searching for a solid used one. They are more reliable than most new cheaper plastic models. If you look on Craigslist there are usually people practically giving away good old machines because they don't understand that with just a little tune up and a polish they'd have a gem!

So if you're in a hurry to get a new one, find a used one and save up for something fabulous later on. Well that's my two cents.. :) Happy Sewing!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
If you looking for non-computerized machines, I'd recommend Pfaff or Janome. I have sewn with both brands for 15 years, through various models and have been completely happy with each brand. If you are thinking about getting into computerized machines, the key is having a local dealer who will give you free classes with purchase. If you want to go that route, let me know, I have a ton of research from when I bought my most recent machine.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Thank you....I was thinking of going the Craiglist way. I would rather have an older heavier one than one of the plastic ones.

I do have a singer from the 60-70's I got for free but it needs $125 worth of work done to it. I think I'm going to keep my eye out for them on Craigslist before I sink money into that one.

Nashoba

One Too Many
My mother has an old kenmore that she's been sewing on since she was at the fashion institute in the early 70s. She's only ever had that machine. It's built into it's own desk and my great grandmother bought it for her when she left for college in New York. The danged thing just won't quit.
I've gone through 4 machines. My first two were brother machines and they quit after 4 years. I sew for a living so I do it every day. My last machine quit on me in 2005 and I bought a Janome memorycraft. It's a fantastic machine the only thing I've had to replace is the pedal and that's cause I'm a moron and sliced through the power cord with my rotary cutter (long story). I'd like to eventually get a fancy computer interfacing embroidery machine but for every day sewing, I second Janome and Pfaff. Great Machines.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
hotrod_elf said:
What are your opinions on this machine?
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/art/539728460.html

I don't know anything about the Janome machines.

From the pics, it looks like a good machine, although it's hard to tell just from pics. The description says "only used twice". If that is the truth, then you'd be getting a bargain. I'd take that machine. I have loved all the Janomes that have come through my workroom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy