Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds "Empire"

BAK

New in Town
Empire

Yes, GWD, you're correct. Sorry - somehow that original post didn't come across as I'd intended it. I'm the Northeast (New England, NY & NJ geography) territory manager for AE. The Empire caught our attention. Amazing how that last remains relevant. As best as we can determine it is the same as our current 5 last, although it was obviously "carved" a bit differently back in the day. Our IT guy Dave, and his co-worker Ryan, recently posted the old catalogues online via Issuu, so I hope that's helpful (as well as a huge time suck for the AE fans). Enjoy.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BAK said:
I think the Empire shoe is vintage 1956 to 1958.
But the "Osteo-Path-Ik" name was phased out in the late 20's.[huh]

Company history from the A-E website:

"In the late 1920s Spiegel left the company, bought out by William Edmonds,who owned a Milwaukee company called Edmonds Foot Fitters. Edmond's trade name soon replaced the "Osteo-Path-Ik" moniker, and the company's expanding range of shoes now became known as Allen-Edmonds Footfitters"

web.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
The oldest catalog posted on the site (Thanks by the way, what a great resource) is 1956. It doesn't mean the shoe wasn't around way before then, does it?

There are a few models in that catalog that are around today, it stands to reason the Empire could have been around 20-30 years prior to the catalog. [huh]

davestlouis

Practically Family
Those are beautiful...I wonder if AE could/would put a spade sole on a modern shoe as part of the recrafting process? As long as the shoe was built on a last where a spade sole looked appropriate, I don't see a functional issue with it.

BAK

New in Town
osteopathik

Tomasso said:
But the "Osteo-Path-Ik" name was phased out in the late 20's.[huh]

web.jpg

hmmm... you're correct Tomasso. That would definitely date it to late 1920s or somewhere there abouts. It certainly wouldn't be the first time we revived a relevant pattern from the archives. That shoe is even more impressive now because of it's age. A miraculous survival.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick