Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allie-Maillard Conformateur

ianto

New in Town
Hi, I'm from the uk and have become curious by this Allie Maillard hat conformateur. I have a clothing store which used to be very formal and traditional (now modern and for the younger guy). I seam to have inherited one of the Conformateurs. mine has mother of pearl washers and looking online is probably around 1890 a little bit of damage here and there but for it's age not too bad. Also i didn't realise untill my investigation i also have the Formillion with the original plot board and brass key. Have tried to post some images however it doesn't want to let me.
http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfish...sc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfishuk/

Last edited:

ianto

New in Town
COBRAND_NAME=snapfishuk
http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishuk/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=15029764010/a=820587010_820587010/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfishuk/

Absolutely fantastic. From the condition of the cork, the conformateur appears to have never been used. Both appear to be in superb condition.

ianto

New in Town
Yes although i notice one of the sticks is broken and there is a string unattached and some rust on the rivets. However trying to find interest in the uk is hard work! I was thinking of putting them on ebay but but somehow maybe it's not the place so will have to think of something else.

I haven't made much progress to date on my restoration project, but I did find and win a second formillion this week. This one was much less expensive than the first and in better condition. It should help me in working on the first, which I suspect has some of the keys in the wrong position (or not original), causing them to bind when sliding in and out. I had assumed the round head bolt at the front of the formillion was a replacement, but now looking at ianto's photos, I am thinking perhaps not. The hand work that went in to making these tools is something else.

newform2.jpg

newform1.jpg

newform3.jpg

newform4.jpg

newform5.jpg

newform6.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Such a beautiful marriage of form and function.

Kind of a shame to steal from one to complete the other, but there's little choice, I guess, unless creating the missing pieces by hand is a possibility. You mentioned once that you have woodworking experience, Alan. So do I, but not in that realm. Could be fun, though! Any missing metal components?

Hi Randall,

I won't take from the rich to renovate the poor! But seeing one in good working condition will help me to understand the parts and any repairs that I have to do in the first one. The first is missing one of the brass thumbscrews and that threaded post is broken. One of the other threaded posts is stripped and needs to be replaced. This one has some metal oxidation and wear from use, but it is in really good condition with no missing parts.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
This formillion is cool , i have a card at this hat shop in S F you put it in & place that in the hat then that bag on the steam flange machine thing & a perfect fit for my XLO pretty cool...

That's a good question Steve. I have no documentation, but the examples we see and advertising sheets for the conformateur and formillion seem to date from the era where stiff hats were the norm. Perhaps the hatters continued to use them, even as hats became more flexible and self conforming, because they already had the tool.

It would be interesting what tools might have emerged had the industry continued into the modern era... lasers, computer modeling with 3d graphics...

I think we were lucky that the hat industry didn't adopt the fluoroscope to image heads as was done by the footwear industry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy