Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allie-Maillard Conformateur

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Still customers love the look of it and the history and the experience of trying it and that is worth something in itself.

Please don't misunderstand me ... I would love to own an Allie & Maillard conformateur! It's a wonderful historical artifact, and it's gorgeous to look at :)

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you, I am very pleased. You should come and have a little weekend break in West Wales and have a go in my hat shop. You would be very welcome :)

I may take you up on your offer at some point. I went to University in Aberystwyth and then lived in Llanafan for a while so there's a big bit of my heart in Wales.

bloc

One of the Regulars
I may take you up on your offer at some point. I went to University in Aberystwyth and then lived in Llanafan for a while so there's a big bit of my heart in Wales.

Ah, you'll be right at home, the shop is in Llandeilo. Lovely places to stay, great walking, gorgeous local food and a conformateur to play with. Who could ask for more?

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

I read about this town when I was in elementary school and have wanted to visit since. Missed my chance on my only passage through Wales which was to board a mail boat to Dublin. That was 1972. It is time to revisit.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm ... just a thought ... Bloc, do you have many suppliers of pencils and printer-ink in Wales? I get the feeling, that a prosperous dream will amuse me the coming night :D

bloc

One of the Regulars
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

I read about this town when I was in elementary school and have wanted to visit since. Missed my chance on my only passage through Wales which was to board a mail boat to Dublin. That was 1972. It is time to revisit.

Yes, come and visit! The Llanfairpwyll... name was my Mum's party piece, she could say the whole thing. Not me, must practise.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Unfortunately not just now. Just thought that with such a generous use of letters, you must use fantazillions of pencils and ink-cartridges. May be worth some consideration ;)

Tonio

A-List Customer
Been a while since this post was updated.

I've always been fascinated with old tools. Thought I'd share pictures of a nice example of a formillion I'm waiting on.

Any history available on the Allie Maillard company?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Been a while since this post was updated.

I've always been fascinated with old tools. Thought I'd share pictures of a nice example of a formillion I'm waiting on.

Any history available on the Allie Maillard company?

View attachment 128156 View attachment 128157
That's a great looking one, Tonio. Are these rods metal or is that just the lighting? I haven't been able to find much on the company. The invention of the conformateur for hats is variously credited to a man named H. Maillard in 1843, to the firm of Allié Aine the following year and then to that of Allié-Maillard in 1852, all based in Paris. That's about it. From the looks of it yours could be a very early one as the names are still separate.

Tonio

A-List Customer
That's a great looking one, Tonio. Are these rods metal or is that just the lighting? I haven't been able to find much on the company. The invention of the conformateur for hats is variously credited to a man named H. Maillard in 1843, to the firm of Allié Aine the following year and then to that of Allié-Maillard in 1852, all based in Paris. That's about it. From the looks of it yours could be a very early one as the names are still separate.

Fantastic thanks for the great info! I'll have to see if I can do some digging. The rods do appear to be a metal of sorts.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points