Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Almost Time to Get Your Knees Brown!

Cobden

Practically Family
That was Beltring this year (i.e. two days ago!); had a lot of fun, and had a fantastic time.

The slouch hat is a 1980's Australian thing that was lent to me (and I was allowed to batter). Luckily, there was a "monsoon" so I went outside in it, took the pugree off and just kept shaping the top into a more fedora shape, and it held!

It's nice when, with most uniforms you have to keep them tidy, you can purposefully beat the living daylights out of something!

desertweasel

New in Town
KD's

Hot day in the Med. Theatre... Where's my Kittyhawk?

med.jpg

...and on cool days in Europe...

rcaf2.jpg

Nice duds everyone :)

desertweasel

New in Town
Kit

MTO pic shows khaki aertex bush shirt (and KD trews not visible), 1932 pattern Mae West (not really authentic as rest of kit is more mid/late war), type D cotton drill tropical flying helmet with type G Oxy mask and Mk VIII goggles.

The Mk VIII goggles also star in the ETO kit pic which also includes late pattern type C leather flying helmet, same type G mask, type D flying gauntlets, 1943 pattern (Escape) flying boots, and RCAF battledress with RCAF wings and Sgt pilot rank. RCAF BD differs from the RAF version as it has army-style pointed pocket flaps vs. the scalloped ones RAF BD has. See MDFrench's post for a pic of a repro RAF BD. Oh, and a Tootal brand dotted burgundy scarf, and ditching whistle to top it off. Still looking for a 1941 pattern Mae West for the ETO get up.

Some of the rest of my collection can be seen in these pics:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5925

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
I definitely like the khaki, "colonial" look, and I'm considering buying a "sahariana" jacket (italian pride plus family memories :) ) , obviosuly I'm going for a repro cause originals seem somehow expensive on eBay.

Ciao!!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Italian-wiseguy said:
I definitely like the khaki, "colonial" look, and I'm considering buying a "sahariana" jacket (italian pride plus family memories :) ) , obviosuly I'm going for a repro cause originals seem somehow expensive on eBay.

Ciao!!

Not always true- a realistic repro will cost you as much, or more than $300, whereas there have been originals from the '30s/'40s on eBay, selling for around $100 recently.

Happy hunting,

B
T(Sahariana Club)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well- I have had dealings with him and he is a great guy but he does make jackets which look fine but when you get them... cannot really be worn as a jacket- fit is all wrong. I would hazard a guess at saggy armholes and sleeves, wide chest and ill sitting collar(on the collared version). I have one of his DAK tropical tunics and it will never see any use...:(

Personally- I would not.
I have some of his stuff, which is great value for money but the jackets are probably best avoided-
-in my opinion.

Any effort spent adjusting and correcting such a garment would probably be a total loss.

The "Italian made" repro is good quality but the vendor says things like "...after Christmas", when it's January and you're looking to buy one.

B
T

Cobden

Practically Family
I've been putting together a few prewar Indian Army/British Army in India uniforms (I even ended up starting a small living history group sort of by accident). Here are a couple:

Prewar Bushshirt with short sleeves and spinal pad (!), with reproduction prewar style officers cap. Royal Sussex Regiment in Indian, circa 1930
PIC_0084.jpg

Same regiment, but a bit smarter (and the uniform creeps into WWII)
PIC_0076.jpg

Bit of an odd pose, but the only one of me in puttees (contrary to common belief, this was supposed to be worn by subalterns when in drill order. Trousers were bloused to resemble to fashion for plus fours and plus sixes)
DSC00005.JPG

And, a WWII one. JG's. In a hole.
P9160066.jpg

I also have OR's KDSD and an original Cawnpore topee, but don't have a decent photo of me in it

Cobden

Practically Family
Supposedly in what was called "drill order", which was the most informal uniform one would wear on parade. Apparently, it was also worn as service dress when not walking out, but I haven't seen this confirmed. . This was abolished with WWII, and never introduced. For walking out, trousers were often worn normally, but many young officers continued to wear the trousers with puttees as a fashion statement!

interwarqueens_d.jpg

An illustration I found on Google

Cobden

Practically Family
Wow! Where the blazes did you find that? You see some British units wearing quilted topees around the turn of the century - never seen one that had survived before! The Cawnpore style one I have are rear enough (it was a tradition to throw them over the side of the ship whilst returning to Britain). Superb find!

That looks great Cobden.

Who dug the fighting position?

Me and a few others in the group ;)

P9160052.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner