Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Almost Time to Get Your Knees Brown!

Baggers

Practically Family
I know that Spring has only just started, and that in some parts of the northern hemisphere snow is still on the ground. But in anticipation of warmer weather, my thoughts have turned to tropical uniforms and have started dusting off some things in my collection as well as making a couple of new acqusitions. To start the ball rolling, here's my take on what the typical British soldier would have worn at the beginning of WW2 (1939, for those of you who think it started with Pearl Harbor!) if he were stationed in Egypt, Bombay, or Singapore. This is a bit of a "fantasy outfit," in that it is a mixed bag of items that were used in widely different locations at different times but still conveys the overall concept of tropical clothing as used by the British:

KhakiDrill01.jpg

From top to bottom:
The helmet, or topee, is something I picked up 20 years ago at Banana Republic (everyone repeat after me, "back when it was a cool store"), and is modeled on the khaki solar pith hat worn in India at the beginning of the war. It was really never seen outside of India or Asia, as the the main helmet worn by British troops in other locations such as Egypt and Palestine was the Universal Foreign Service Khaki Helmet, or "Wolseley" pattern cork helmet. I've got a repro of one of those as well, but just happened to have the topee easily to hand.

The khaki aertex desert shirt is from What Price Glory. Made from a breezy open cellular weave cotton fabric called Aertex, it's a pullover style shirt with a four button placket, two pleated front pockets with pointed flaps fastened by buttons, removeable epaulettes, and a five inch wide box pleat on the back. It also has a four and half inch long venitlation slit in the underside of each sleeve at the armpit. You can see a couple of closer shots Here.

The 1941 pattern khaki drill shorts are also from What Price Glory. Made in a sturdy cotton twill (or drill) fabric, they have long baggy legs, a fly front fastened with a combination of brass buttons and two straps and buckles at the waist, a first field dressing pocket on the right front leg, two on seam side pockets, and three belt loops that also fasten with brass buttons.

The khaki full hose are a new item at What Price Glory and are primarily "officers only." They are simply wool knee socks that have a turn down at the top. Officers, when in the field, along with Other Ranks and NCOs usually wore something called hose tops, which were basically the same as full hose, just made in a courser darker khaki color wool with no foot portion -- they stopped at the ankle -- and which were worn with either web anklets or short puttees.

Finally, suede ankle boots, or "brothel creepers." I picked these up from Orvis a couple of years back, but they still offer them in their catalogue. This was a very unoffical officers only item affected by "Ruperts" serving with the Eighth Army in the Western Desert of North Africa. Uniform regulations were rather lax due to the nature of the theatre, and many items of non-regulation clothing were widely seen, such as brightly colored scarves, long sheepskin coats, corduroy trousers, and suede boots, much of which could be purchased in the Sooks of Cairo, along with other items like "violently" colored horsehair fly wisks.

Other tropical items included different patterns of helmets and other headgear, bush jackets, long trousers, and other items, but I'll save those for later posts. Don't want to "shoot the whole wad," as it were, doncha know? ;) Besides, if this thread doesn't take off, I can always post them elsewhere in the Lounge.

So there you have it. I know most of it comes from just one vendor, but Jerry has really cornered this part of the market and for affordable replica sources, there really just isn't much else out there.

Well, I now open the floor to comments, criticisms, and your own offerings in wartime desert apparel. Post 'em if ya got 'em! :)

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
That's a very 'cool' ensemble Baggers. If you have the book; 'Khaki Drill and Jungle Green' and have seen many a period/theatre photo- you'll know that many clothing items were intermingled and seen all ove the tropics and Middle-East- mixtures of locally tailored or procured items and combinations of Army, Navy and RAF clothing.

What do you think to the quality of the WPG/Replicaters KD and Aertex?
How does the Aertex cloth compare to the original?

My collection, or ensemble, as it is intended to be worn, as yours is- is somewhat eclectic and to date, remains incomplete. It mixes German, Italian
and British tropical clothing- both vintage and repro.
I'm in no great hurry- too many other collections under way...

But I have been looking at a lot of Pith Helmets recently- there are some really nice repros and commercially sold examples available for reasonable cost.

You oughta put some sunscreen on those patell?¶!

B
T

Baggers

Practically Family
BT,
Oh yes, I have Brayley & Ingram's book and find it's a great reference. In fact I used it to provide some of the notes in my post, along with Brian L. Davis' "British Army Uniforms & Insignia of of World War Two." Something I didn't touch on was the selection of jungle green uniforms and equipment that were developed during the course of the war to replace the khaki kit that was found to be woefully inadequate in the deep jungle environment of the Far East.

As for the quality of the clothing being sold by WPG that comes from Replicators is that the shirt and shorts pictured are an improvement over his earlier offerings. Construction quality is excellent, and the aertex fabric stands up very well next to the only original sample I have, a 1950s pattern bush jacket. The weight and color are only slightly different, the original being just slightly heavier in weight and greener in shade than the Replicator's material. For all intents and purposes, it's an almost perfect match.

The full hose have only one issue: the turn down at the top is a separate piece from the rest of the sock and is sewn in place with what evidently turned out to be a rather delicate stitch. I've already popped one or two while getting into one of them. It's repairable, but if you get a pair, pull them on gently.

On reflection, I think my misgivings expressed in another thread are only the result of some people's inability to provide exact details or an actual sample for Sanjay to work from. Jerry has been dealing with him long enough to have established good lines of communication. That's not the say that he still has the occasional miss. His version of the U.S. khaki "suntan" shirt and trousers being an example. The cut of the trousers and the sizing of the shirts still leave something to be desired. Also, the construction is not as good. The set I have from him showing a lot of broken fibers in the fabric along most of the seams as if his machinery can't handle the heavier twill fabric used for them, while the British gear shows none of this.

I agree with you about the eclectic nature of our gear. Style and function seem to be paramount with me, and unless I have a reason to do otherwise I'll mix it up. Significantly, the majority of the research materials that are guiding me these days are the writings and images to which I have access that illustrate the pre war desert explorers like Bagnold, Shaw, Harding-Newman, and Co. and they are primarily British sourced. As an aside, if it's any indication as to just how big an influence they have on me, I've been thinking of naming that retreat in our Southwestern U.S. that I dream about owning eventually Zerzura. :)

As for pith helmets, yes you're right. If you dig deep enough, you can find some very nice modern interpretations. My only quibble, is that most of them use vinyl "one size fits all" sweatbands and are lacking in some minor contruction details. WPG's Wolesley helmet is quite nice, though. It has a sized sweatband and tries to replicate the interior lining seen in some originals.

And as for my patell?¶, they're not the problem. It's my thinly follicled cranium! Twenty minutes under the full onslaught of the sun and it glows like a night light. Damn my Northern European ancestry! lol

Cheers!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Pip pip!! Great looking stuff, I also just got the 41 pattern shorts and I was thinking about the shirt. Looks good. Pith looks great as well, I'm currently looking for another, I have the US military version and recently sold and old Abercrombie one, it was made just way to big for my mellon. It looked like I had a basket on my head. Keep u pthe great posts, can't wait to see the rest. I'll post I pic tomorrow, I'm thinking 41's, green safari shirt and wide brim hat, it's been getting warm around here.

Baggers

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Brigadier 'Baggers' Bagley- cooling his heels at the Red Fort, Delhi, 1940.

B
T

Oh my Gawd, that's great! lol lol lol

"I say, waiting for that damned wallah to come back with my curry!"

You sir, are a genius! I think I may have found a new avatar! lol lol lol

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Back to your previous post Baggers...

Yes, eclectic is the way to go-

Regarding Sanjay- the way he markets himself, he definitely has his work cut out for him. But that can-do-anything is typical Indian style and true. What lets him down, as you have mentioned, is his lack of original resource material. If one has the time and resources to work with him, like the US based LARA; Luftwaffe reenactors have been doing(well... some of them), then, anything is possible.

When dealing with Indian businessmen, you don't often run into the "sorry, no..." brick wall- anything's possible in India and at a reasonable cost. As you may or may not know, Sanjay is a very affable and articulate individual, who is 'at your service', as it were and intent on pleasing. I think he's realising now, the super high standards required of collectors/reenactors(and the fact that many of these individuals have more original items than he.). He does get very mixed reviews but I think that's partly due to him being Indian(unfortunately) and being labelled as an amateur by those with little understanding or patience. But then, many of the other vendors get very mixed reviews. I can't help thinking there's a certain amount of xenophobia involved...
Good luck to him-

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Nick Charles said:
Thanks BT, I'm part of the shirt thread. I like the TAG pith, thanks for the link. How about some pictures of your stuff?:eusa_clap

Hi Nick- Yeh, I like the Tag one too.

I have no camera at present. This ensemble is something I'm working on... Resourceful as I am- financial resources are short at this time and I'm in Europe, which leaves a few items out of reach for the moment.

Most of what I need/want doesn't exist in the form I actually want it.
I have plans for a Bush/Safari hat but that's $100+ away. Bush jackets- I've had a few, in a previous collecting life but now I have returned from a different angle and find myself regretting parting with a good few pieces of KD and Aertex.

I have a nice pair of baggy, vintage French Army KDs, my DAK shirts and cap and that's about it for the moment... I think, in this vein at least.
A variation on the Sahariana jacket and more trousers lie somewhere in my nearest future.

But I have a few hundred vintage Safari and Afrika/Crete images, and a few books as reference with which to base my ensemble on.

The search continues- you and Baggers as role-models...

B
T

Nick Charles

Practically Family
OK here is a low res picture, 41 pattern shorts and LL Bean safari shirt. Working on getting the aretex shirt and I've got a vintage safari hat on the way.

my.php

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick and Baggers, you guys both pull of those KD shorts really well! I think I need to have mine taken in a bit. They look more like Bombay Bloomers. I'd post pictures, but my wife has the camera with her.

BT, those pics of Baggers are great!

Baggers

Practically Family
No you don't, Mojave. They need to be big and baggy. Just think of the cooling breezes that can waft up the legs to your nether regions! :p Seriously, I think the only rule of thumb was that they should be long enough to hit just above the knee, Also, in theatre you wouldn't have cared how they looked. That, and tailoring the King's property was generally frowned upon. If you wanted a tailored set, you would have gotten one in officer's gabardine while on leave in Cairo from some local tailor's shop on the sharia.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
No you don't, Mojave. They need to be big and baggy. Just think of the cooling breezes that can waft up the legs to your nether regions! :p Seriously, I think the only rule of thumb was that they should be long enough to hit just above the knee, Also, in theatre you wouldn't have cared how they looked. That, and tailoring the King's property was generally frowned upon. If you wanted a tailored set, you would have gotten one in officer's gabardine while on leave in Cairo from some local tailor's shop on the sharia.

Cheers!
Oh, but these are really baggy! I think that may be why I got a good deal on them from Jerry. Baggy I can handle, but these look more like culottes. Even my wife, who is pretty tolerant of my eccentric ways, just laughs when I put them on. I'll try and borrow a digital camera and take a shot or two.

In the meantime, I need to pick up a set of those full hose and a set of anklets. Any idea how the sizing on the anklets works? How do you measure for the right size?

Baggers

Practically Family
I sometimes get that reaction from my wife when wearing mine, but she has gotten used to most of my foibles, and usually just lets it pass unless it's something new and more "interesting." ;)

As for anklets, you may not need them if you're just going with full hose. Full hose was more of a semi dress item for around headquarters and "walking out," and not intended to be used in the field. They were usually just worn with low quarters or desert boots without any kind of ankle covering. Anklets (or short puttees in place of anklets) were more commonly seen with hose tops and ammo boots (or the officers version in brown). Hose tops being the darker colored footless version, and Jerry has those as well. Anklet sizing went by numbers, 1 through 4 -- small to extra large. You probably could get by with a size 3, as I wear a size 12 boot and that's what I use. Also, you'll not need the extra circumference of the larger size since you won't be tucking long thick wool battledress trousers into them. My advice? Unless you're going for a full blown combat soldier impression, they're really not necessary.

Cheers!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those shorts bring a photo of my father to mind

I have a great photo of my Dad taken in Sydney in 1942, and those shorts - and socks - of yours Baggers are spot-on.

Whenever the photo would come out, Dad would say how much he hated those baggy shorts. He was 17 at the time, (and was soon kicked out of the Army, they discovered his real age) and no doubt preferred to be seen as a grown man rather than someone wearing 'knee pants', to use the old term.

You've got a very authentic look there!

RAAF

New in Town
WPG Uniforms not from Replicators

Guys,
Minor point here but the uniforms produced/sold by What Price Glory are made in Pakistan by a large tailoring company. They are not made by Replicators, which is in India.

RAAF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran