Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha "Replica" L-2A/L-2B Sizing/Quality Advice

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Strongly considering picking up one of the Alpha Industries "Replica" L-2A or L-2B's. Anyone have any experience with these and can drop some sizing and quality knowledge on me? I really appreciate it. I am going between a medium/38 or the large/40...

Cheers

Edward

Bartender
Can't offer help myself, but interested also. Have you found a source for these? I have the Alpha Replica Series B15C, would love an L2A to match. I recently picked up a second hand Buzz Rickson B15-C Mod - fwiw, while I can see the differences (the nylon outer is a slightly different type, presumably more accurate, on the Buzz; the Buzz has, under the nylon liner, the original wool lining, as opposed to the polyester innards of the Alpha; the zip on the Buzz is markedly more accurate), I don't see them being worth the price difference. I bought my Alpha for GBP40 equivalent, NOS; the Buzz cost me GBP150 used - new they're in the region of GBP400. Even crazier, a new Buzz L2A is GBP400, for a light nylon jacket! Crazy! Anyhoo, I'm rambling, but my point was I'm well impressed with the Alpha and there'd have to be a lot less of a price difference before I'd opt for the Buzz new.

Best thing to do if you can is to get an accurate pit to pit measurement for the L2s in the sizes you're looking. I can't imagine you'd be wanting to buy one you could fit a heavy sweater under - they're just not that type of jacket. For a shirt only under one, I personally would be looking somewhere between 46 and 48" chest on the jacket itself (actual measurement, not suggested size of wearer / labelled size) based on various other jackets I own (e.g. a good harrington on my size laid flat will usually be arouned 47-48" round the chest - that's a jacket I would say you'd want in a similar fit to an L2). If you do see anyone selling a Replica series L2A (the blue one) in a 42ish, do let me know!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Thx, man! I'm pretty sure there's a couple suppliers to be had. I'm on an iPhone right now, but later today I'll do some browsing and pm you a few links.

Totally with you on the Buzz vs Alpha debate for a L2. I had a used BR L-2A that was too bi for me so I ended up flipping it, but while I'm sure it was the bees knees in terms of authenticity, I thought it was jus too damn rediculous of a price for a nylon jacket- tho I kinda got a fetish for Crown zips so that's a tough one to get over in the Alphas;) I pretty much swore after that to not pick up a BR L-2 for anything over $250... (any sellers?;) )

I have a BR Patter Recognition in a 38L that fits just on the snug size, but I understand these Alphas were made for the American market and may be a better cut length and arm hole wise, but I'm just not sure enough yet to make the purchase- thus hence this tread...

I want about a 25" length and sleeves, and 22" pit-to-pit. Worried that the medium/38 will be the right chest but the wrong length and arms... Gonna stop this typing now-LOL!!

Edward

Bartender
Oh, now.... I'm not sure if we've been talking at cross-purposes here. The Alpha jackets currently on sale as replicas I don't have any direct experience of. My Replica Series is from the early nineties (bought new old stock a year or so ago). Back then, Alpha had three lines - the regular jackets (a sort of modern "inspired by" take on the original designs), the Vintage Series (a reasonable stab at the original, with USAF decals and other details, still badged as an Alpha, with "vintage series" labels), and the Replica Series - the top of the line, which is what I have. These were, as I said above, not quite as good as the Buzz - think comparing a reasonably good, if generic, repro of an A2 by Bill Kelso against a GoodWear repro of a specific contract - but great jackets and a real bargain at the price they still sometimes show up for. I don't have any direct experience of this particular L2A that's in the range now. Haven't yet found photos of one with enough o a close up of the label to tell whether it's a repro of the original labels that went into the jackets as issued (as per the Replica series) or an Alpha label.

Anyhow, here's a link to a thread from a while back where we discussed these various permutations of the Alpha. This particular page has photos of my Replcia Series B15-C - might be something n that thread you find useful.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?40467-Vintage-Alpha-Industries-MA-1/page2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou