Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to this 36oz peacoat?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
An original WWII issue one is always a good option, depending on your size.
Interesting that that's a repro of something that never existed- blending the cut of the WWII model with the buttons of the WWI model

Speakeasy

Familiar Face
I've found long, heavy overcoats in Toronto vintage stores for $50.

Funny how shorter coats cost more these days...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I got mine on evil bay, it's an 8 button USN peacoat from 1964, it was issued as it has a stenciled name but it is pretty much brand new.
I did a bit of research and according to the codes inside it used to belong to a radio operator, probably the reason why it is in such great condition, he most likely spent his time indoors without needing a coat.

Before buying it i looked at many peacoats and came to the conclusion that they just don't make them like they used to.
The wool in the old ones is far more windproof and far warmer, they also have a nice trim cut, whereas modern ones tend to be baggier in the stomach area.

I paid $234 including shipping to the UK a couple years ago, this is the seller i bought mine from, they were very helpful and the coat was just as described.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vtg-WWII-...N-NAVY-10-Button-STENCILED-Coat-/311472122091

Last edited:

Speakeasy

Familiar Face
Which vintage stores in Toronto do you recommend I visit?

Lots of great ones in Kensington Market, Flashback and King of Kensington in particular. I haven't had much luck with suits, but they're teeming with sweaters, outerwear, jackets, and accessories. Even some peacoats I've seen.

Peacoat

Bartender
Go vintage US Navy peacoat. See my dating guide in the thread by Dinerman at the very top of the Outerwear first page: "Start Here: Links to Important Threads."

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
The current peacoat I have is 24oz, this one here is 36oz: http://www.selfedge.com/jackets-vests?product_id=361

But is costs $600, several times more than my current peacoat. Is there an alternative that is cheaper?

I want to get a thicker coat for the cold winters here in Canada, but is it really worth $600USD for a 36oz peacoat?

What is your size? If it's a common size (38-42) there are many US Navy peacoats on ebay. These are the best peacoats out there - that is dark blue, Kersey wool, and made pre-mid '70s as these coats switched to the lesser quality black Melton wool after this. Look for an excellent condition coat from WWII through the '60s. I wouldn't even think of buying a Buzz Rickson, especially at that price. The old US Navy coats are better quality and cost way, way less. Caution though - once you buy one you will want more!! They are addicting!!

ertu

New in Town
my current peacoat is 20.5" pit2pit, so 41 chest. It is too small for me. I am looking get a bigger coat, but how much bigger should I get if the wool is 36oz instead of 24oz.

For listings, I asked some peacoat eBay sellers what is the weight in oz of the wool and they don't know, so how can I be certain what they are selling is listed accurately?

Peacoat

Bartender
Actually, that peacoat, with a p2p of 20.5 is a size 38 peacoat.

You really need to read my guide at the top of the page in the "Start Here" thread by Dinerman. I suggested this in an earlier post, but I don't think you have read it yet. It focuses on vintage US Navy Kersey peacoats from WWII to 1979, and will answer a lot of your questions. Plus, there is a section on fit toward the end of the guide. It tells how to measure your own chest and how to measure the p2p of the peacoat to get a good fit.

If you decide to get a vintage issue peacoat, there will be no need to try and determine the weight of the wool shell. No one is going to know that anyway. Read the guide, and then I, or one of the other knowledgeable posters here, will be glad to answer any questions you have.

mihai

A-List Customer
The USN pea coats 40s-60s are quite plentiful in sz 38 and in quite good shape. I guess it must have been a common size at that time. Beyond size 38, these pea coats get scarcer.
There is also the long overcoat option, from same period they are plenty in size 38, an example that looks to be in great shape - somebody snatch it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WWI...673962?hash=item4af434b1aa:g:bV8AAOSw9N1V132V

I am not sure on which occasion you need this coat - more formal or just smth practical. For smth more informal/practical:
- bekesha tulup russian coat (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ekesha+tulup.TRS0&_nkw=bekesha+tulup&_sacat=0)
- M1909 coat (https://www.google.lu/search?q=matt...RDa4Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=m1909+sheepskin+coat)

The later 2 have a more rugged/utility design. The bekesha is really conic on the lower side, you look like Russian troops :). But I love it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff