Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An interesting observation

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I was watching "The big Store" with the Marx bros and was looking at the styles of clothing. The Women in the Movie were wearing dresses that I thought were what only old ladies would wear. Then it dawned on me that is what the older ladies were wearing when they were young ! Styles will come and go to some people (except us) and some are stuck in a time warp. Now I understand why the wife (and co-workers) always made fun of me tucking in my shirts. I guess I'm stuck in a 70's time warp time to get rid of the "Cords".

Ugarte

A-List Customer
DutchIndo said:
I was watching "The big Store" with the Marx bros and was looking at the styles of clothing. The Women in the Movie were wearing dresses that I thought were what only old ladies would wear. Then it dawned on me that is what the older ladies were wearing when they were young ! Styles will come and go to some people (except us) and some are stuck in a time warp. Now I understand why the wife (and co-workers) always made fun of me tucking in my shirts. I guess I'm stuck in a 70's time warp time to get rid of the "Cords".

I realize it's post-Thalberg and not the Marx's best work to be sure, but I like this movie.

Here are some low-quality caps:

vlcsnap-3377007.png
vlcsnap-3377128.png

vlcsnap-3378854.png
vlcsnap-3367272.png

vlcsnap-3378216.png
vlcsnap-3363469.png

vlcsnap-3373308.png
vlcsnap-3374896.png

vlcsnap-3368899.png
vlcsnap-3374205.png

Mark

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Old ladies' clothes

Likewise, the old ladies in 30's and 40's flicks wear the kind of clothes they wore as young women in the 1900's and 1910's. That's why they always have the high lace collars, and high button shoes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sears even went so far as to offer a whole line of clothes called "Gracious Lady," which were for the most part extremely conservative dresses in dark colors -- and nearly all of them were ornamented with ornate lace collars, dickeys, jabots, and other such festoonery. These were sold as just the thing for older women, and all the models displaying them in the catalog had the same grim expression on their faces later associated with Miss Grundy in the Archie comics. The stereotype had its basis in reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR