Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An interesting thing, Nazi occupation of Denmark.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
denmark1c.jpg

This might be interesting to some-
I live in Denmark and just saw this on eBay and thought to offer it up here.
Just the eBay description is quite interesting- and a few images.
I live right across the road from the Occupation Museum here in town, so I know a bit about the German occupation of the country.
Denmark was invaded and occupied in the space of just a few hours in 1940- some Danes stood up to the invaders and made a political stand in defence of the Jewish population...

Anyway-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13980&item=6522948594&rd=1

BT.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Interesting Danish finds, and nazi breeding programs...

I wouldn't mind at some point having a peek at the museum too, in Denmark. I have an urge to explore the Scandanavian countries. Apparently there was a nazi project called something like "Liebensborne" (apologies for the spelling, all from memory!) in southern Denmark I think, where chosen military officers were brought to couple with chosen blue eyed, blonde aryan girls, so that the end product would be little blue eyed, blonde aryan kiddies. I read somewhere that now this area where the project centre was, has a high density of folk who look like that (the by-product of the program). Anyone else heard about this?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yep, 'Lebensborn', the fountain of life-
One of Himmlers pet projects- began in 1935.
Most of occupied Northern Europe was prey to that scheme but I think Norway was the 'chosen' place- the Germans treated Norwegian women as Godesses- the purest of the northern races.
The 'blonde hair- blue eyes' thing is more of a Scandinavian than German phenomenon- it was more what the Germans aspired to. They kidnapped 'suitable' children from all over Europe to be adopted and brought up in Nazi homes.

The word 'Aryan' was hilacked by the Nazis- it actually is a Sanskrit word and refers to the Indo-Iranian race- people from modern day, Afghanistan, Iran and Northern India- the taller, paler people- the Indo-European speakers.

And Himmler was also a fan of the Muslims, fascinated by them even had Moslem SS divisions...
Crazy stuff.

Scandinavia is pretty fascinating- quite a lot of variety.
Interestingly enough, where I'm situated is actually south of where you are Paddy-

You should come and have a look- Sweden Norway and Finland are quite beautiful- Denmark is quite boring geographically- very flat but interesting history. Denmark used to own all of Scandinavia and a lot of Europe once upon a time- just Greenland and the Faroes now- and it was the first European Monarchy- all of Europes Royals have Danish ancestry.

That was your history lesson for today.

BT.

Mycroft

One Too Many
'lebensborn' and Denmark in WWII...I am honored with what the Danes did for the Jews, during occupation. It took alot of guts, and also the King of Denmark at the time did too. So thank you danes. As for 'lebensborn,' I read up on it a while back after I saw a History Channel special on it. Very scary and interesting. I though it was interesting that the ss(I refuse to capitolize it and any other natzi thing) set of hospitals for aryan women, where they could have their children and then the children would be cared for by people at the hospital, in the form of hitler youth or something. Also, I heard a few of the children of 'lebensborn' were sueing the german goveremnt for information on their parents etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24