Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AN-j-3

pilot error

One of the Regulars
Look what I found! Unless I miss my guess, this is an AN-J-3 probably made by Willis & Geiger. These are the seller's pictures as I haven't received it yet. The bottom RAU snap tells me that it's either a prototype or a civilian overrun sold by Abercrombie & Fitch. I suspect the latter. I've seen that complication once before. Needless to say......I 'll be waiting for the mailman!
10d1179bcc89556b98ca200ee7c4e34d.jpg
c5744a3b9a09204b76a8b50a1e261785.jpg
930778a2978280ac674fa2cad704aa17.jpg
543ef1e54c8c9c40035918205a63e7a9.jpg
0a8c2204392d4211c0d01a1daa84e32b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technonut

Practically Family
Yep, looks like you were lucky and snagged an AN-J-3. I agree with your assessment that the jacket was part of a civilian overrun made by W&G. The condition looks absolutely killer also. :)

If you found this one on the Bay, it must have eluded me. I have had searches in for that jacket under multiple search names for a VERY long time now. How did you find it? Please don't tell me it was relatively inexpensive, and in a larger size either... ;)

Technonut

Practically Family
Hmmm.. Going back and looking at the pics, my attention was drawn to the zipper. The AN-J-3 was developed towards the end of the war in the mid 1940's, and most of the zippers I've seen on the W&G AN-J-3's were indeed mid 40's straight-puller Talons. Some with a 'V' for 'Victory' on the puller, not the M42 pictured. The Talon M42 was used on many war-time A-2 contracts, and I believe the 1st I've seen on the W&G AN-J-3.

Your thoughts on it being a true prototype may be correct due to the zipper, and is more than likely a rare-bird.. ;)

EDIT: I also have not seen one with a factory-installed snap on the jacket's zipper box.

EDIT: After you receive the jacket, there would be folks over at VLJ who do not visit here much that would be quite interested in seeing it, if you are a member over there as well... ;)

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a very nice find. IMO the ANJ-3 is the nicest design of all of the military leather jackets.

pilot error

One of the Regulars
Ok Technonut.....I won't tell you that it was relatively inexpensive, ;) but size wise according to the seller it's a medium. probably a wartime 40. At first I thought the knits were replaced, but I won't know until I examine it. I'd like to get J C's thoughts on this find, what's the best way to reach him?

Technonut

Practically Family
Ok Technonut.....I won't tell you that it was relatively inexpensive, ;) but size wise according to the seller it's a medium. probably a wartime 40. At first I thought the knits were replaced, but I won't know until I examine it. I'd like to get J C's thoughts on this find, what's the best way to reach him?

Well, at least it wouldn't have fit me... :) :p I have contacted JC through VLJ, but I'm sure that his contact addy from GW would work as well:

info@goodwearleather.com

Please keep us posted on your findings..

Deacon211

One Too Many
Great find! I agree that the ANJ seems to capture the best elements of both jackets.

Wear it in good health!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pilot error

One of the Regulars
Thanks Guys for all the kudos.......still waiting for the mailman, let's hope that it fits! I've got my fingers crossed........

Technonut

Practically Family
Damn... I must say that's one of the nicest looking period AN-J-3's I've seen pics of. Fits you like a glove as well. :) As I asked earlier, please keep us updated as you find out more about it. Does the Talon look to be original, and not a replacement?

pilot error

One of the Regulars
At first I thought the knits were replaced. They just seemed wrong, size, color, and thickness. But upon close examination I can't find any stitch marks, so I don't know. The rest of the jacket is surely original.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy