Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Old Take on Modern

LeScooter

New in Town
Hi Anybody,

So, first up, a bit of background, I am not really “hard core”, so I do like to mix it up a bit – as such, i am rather enamored with Old takes on Modern… I am not too sure if this has been posted about; BUT, for those of us that are “into”, or at least open to, alternatives, you might just have a look at these:

\http://www.postmodernjukebox.com/

Scott & Co a very "Busted Arse Amateur" but i think that adds a heap of cool to their videos; even the way that there is no sound engineer mixing to perfection.

I really like the websites tag line: The Alternate History of Pop; i personally love their version of "Thrift Shop", but that is largely because my Kids really love it... (I do like the Dixieland Version of Sweet Child of Mine though)

For those of you into Crooners with a similar idea (AND a heap of Style), check out Frank Bennett on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7JiMJUNWwg

His take on Opportunities (Originally by the Pet Shop Boys) reminds me of so much of Oz!

Usually, cover versions are new takes on oldies; but when they involve some really clever reworks to fit the Jazz spectrum, i think it is not just "another" cover

I, s'pose, I like the way that these types of cover artists are trying to bring back "golden Era music" more popular to the wider audience, rather than just trying be the latest winner of "(insert Country here)" Pop Singer Competition Show; they may not be Genuine Golden Era Performers, but then, my I am not Genuine Golden Era either (hey, the fact that we are using an online forum suggests that none of us are 100% golden era either!)
I also realise that there are plenty Fedora Friends who would never have heard the originals of Scott's & Frank's songs; but that is cool to!

The other way i look at it is that they are also a sneaky way to introduce friends (& kids) to Not So Modern Music...

I dunno if there are others trying to bring back a bit of true style/originality to modern music, but I like these two, Are there any other examples of Old Takes on Modern that you like?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner