Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An opportunity, of sorts

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sixteen and am decidedly not a fan of the slobwear culture so prevalent today. As I'm moving back to the US in a month or so, I decided to check out a local tailoring shop.

I was impressed at the completed work I saw. I looked around at the fabrics they had, no real heavyweight stuff (this is South Asia,) it was mainly Super 140s and the like. I'm not too big a fan of said fabrics (prefer 12-14 oz,) but with labor costs as they are here, it's negligible, I suppose. Also, the buttons are not particularly nice, but I can always change those later if need be.

I decided to commission a 30s style linen three-piece as a test run (it's only costing me about 70 US.) They took very thorough measurements and I specified a number of period details, which they took note of.

If it turns out well (which it seems like it will,) I think I'll follow up on that order with a few more suits and multiple shirts/trousers in the month or so before I leave for DC. This is potentially a golden opportunity for vintage styles.

As it stands, my suits are a navy blue pinstriped suit and informal evening wear

I think I'll order a few soft linen shirts with stiff detachable collars(cutaway and rounded wing collars.) Also, a few shirts with soft collars.

What do you guys think I should commission for a good, vintage-esque wardrobe?

Don't miss the opportunity for cheap bespoke!

take this photo to your tailor/shirtmaker and have him/her make up the shirts with this collar. They weren't overly common, but they are certainly iconic of the 1930s.

30sCollar.jpg

bk

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
at that price, MK is correct. However, I would do a few wearing just to see how you like it after having worn it a dozen times or so.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you guys.

BK, I was planning to have some done with that collar but did not have a good reference photo - that will come in handy. Thanks!

What do you think the 'essentials' would be that I'm missing?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
FatPack- have about thirty white linen safari shirts made up in various sizes, bring them to the states and sell them for three times what you paid.

I'd buy one.

If I were you, I'd have a gray chalkstripe suit made up, and maybe a seersucker one, if they had the fabric. But, that's just me.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
I had a few bits and pieces knocked up last time I was in Delhi.
I also took with me to Delhi, a '40s PS suit with me to have altered- $6.

These guys need close supervision.
Keep an eye on them.

Where are you?

B
T

Where in Delhi did you go? I found a few very good places, but you have to be in the right area. That sounds like a Main Bazaar price...best place to be thrifty, but yeah, you do have to watch what they're doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran