Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Didnt clean up too well, but I like the hat and how he's wearing it. Looks sort of like the one my grandfather is wearing in post 186.

petrina_knute_clarence_bostrack_crop_200.jpg

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
A rare shot of my Pop in a hat. He usually never wore a hat in his youth, other than when he was in the army in the 50's. This hat isn't even his but belonged to his best friend at the time Bob Seaford. The only other hats my Pop would wear doing yard work were those cotton crusher hats or a Greek Fisherman's cap. So this is a rare image indeed. He was about 15 here so it puts it about 1944.
img040.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

rgraham

A-List Customer
I've been looking for this shot of my grandfather for some time to add to the list. It's one of my favorites. No, he wasn't a gardener, he was retired by this time, and spent most of his days doing work around the property. The photo shows him doing some pruning on one of the pear trees. This was taken by a professional photographer who was a family friend, hence the pose. He always wore one of his old hats when the sun was out, and they all looked pretty nice, even for yard work. I can't tell what brand of hat this is, but I do know he was fond of Dobbs.

RBH

Bartender
I've been looking for this shot of my grandfather for some time to add to the list. It's one of my favorites. No, he wasn't a gardener, he was retired by this time, and spent most of his days doing work around the property. The photo shows him doing some pruning on one of the pear trees. This was taken by a professional photographer who was a family friend, hence the pose. He always wore one of his old hats when the sun was out, and they all looked pretty nice, even for yard work. I can't tell what brand of hat this is, but I do know he was fond of Dobbs.

Now that is one fantastic photo!!!
A big thanks for sharing it with us!!!

frussell

One Too Many
Found this photo of my great uncle on the web. His name was Charles M. Bogert, and he was a well-respected herpetologist with a few species of geckos and gopher snakes named after him. This cool picture is of him and his governor-appointed soldier guide (with toothbrush mustache) in Nayarit, Mexico in 1939, going into the field for more reptile/amphibian research. He made a few recordings of different frog calls that can still be bought from the Smithsonian store, and wrote a hard to find book called "Gila Monsters and Allies."
hiresCMBogertinNayaritwithpoliceguide.jpg

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I rather like this thread so here’s my meager contribution, a rather poor scan of a photo of my great-grandfather Frank Cordes wearing a jaunty cap. There was bound to be someone in the family that wore a hat. Late 30’s or very early 40’s depending on which of the little girls is grandma. The lilac bush was still on the property the last time I drove by.

FrankandEdnaCordesFamily.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
My Great-Grandfather in Chicago in the early 1920's.
ZadiePhillip1920s.jpg

My Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother in the early 1960's
IMG_0007.jpg

My Great Grandfather (far middle left in the glasses) when he worked at Turner Brothers mens clothing store in Chicago in the early 60's. Cesar Romero was a customer of theirs and one day some of the staff wanted to get a photo taken.
IMG.jpg

There are a couple more of my Great-Grandfather wearing a fedora in the 20’s and 30’s, but I havemt scanned them in yet.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
My Great-Grandfather in Chicago in the early 1920's.

Wow! I can actually see a strong resemblance, long straight nose, thin lips, prominent chin and strong jaw line, etc. It will be interesting to see him in a fedora as well.

Fantastic photos Josh! Romero was a fixture in the promotions for Petrocelli suits. As Zetwal points out, the resemblance across three generations is striking.

This is a great thread.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Wow! I can actually see a strong resemblance, long straight nose, thin lips, prominent chin and strong jaw line, etc. It will be interesting to see him in a fedora as well.

Fantastic photos Josh! Romero was a fixture in the promotions for Petrocelli suits. As Zetwal points out, the resemblance across three generations is striking.
This is a great thread.

Nice bit of history in your family, Josh. I can see where you get your style from!

Thanks everyone for the compliments!!! My grandmother (the pictures were of her father Phillip) has told me for a long time that I not only dress like him, but have the same kind of funny quirks. She used to tell me that he was so particular about his shirts being ironed, that when he would get them back from the dry cleaner he always felt that they were never done right. So he used to take the shirts and re-iron them himself. He used to work on his car when he was younger and used to spend hours just detailing and cleaning the engine bay and so on. He was very particular about his appearance and always had to have everything in a particular order. Not in a bad or mean way, just his way. He always helped everyone when they needed help and would give you the shirt of his back if you needed it. I do the same kind of stuff and look to his example as a way to live my life. He died about 6 years before I was born, but I've always felt a very strong connection to him. My grandmother said that he always had to have a hat on and was one of the nicest people that she has ever known. My grandmother is in her mid 80's now and when I go to her house all dressed up in a suit and a hat, she always smiles and tells me that I remind her quite a bit of her father. That of course always makes me smile. My middle name is Phillip and I was of course named after my great-grandfather. These people are all from my fathers side of the family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112