Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
NikonSouthAfricaDec2009578.jpg

texashatman

Familiar Face
frussell said:
My grandpa had it labeled as Civil War, but that may not be correct. I know absolutely nothing about historic uniforms. It looks like a marching band uniform to me, but I'm sure it was military. He was from the Eastern Seaboard, that's all I know. Frank.

I looked at some military uniform sites and they wore them like this for 100 years up until about 1910. This one definitely looks older and could be from VMI instead of West Point. Very cool picture either way.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Found some pictures of my great-uncle:

With friends and white summer caps:

P1090492.jpg

Celebrating his 40th jubilee as an archpriest:

P1090494.jpg

in/y

One of the Regulars
Here's 3 of my 4 grandparents

My maternal grandparents (Oma & Opa) ca. 1935
oma_opa_hats1.jpg

...and my paternal Grandfather (Grandpa) ca. 1939
grandpa-hat1.jpg

BTW, don't know What's going on with Grandpa in this one. Though Grandpa passed away 14 years before I was born, all accounts say that he was a very jovial & outgoing fellow.

Guess hats are a genetic thing.

sc00c6d3f0.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is photo of my Dad's family who settled Florida from Georgia in the early
20th century, this is currently my avatar. The somber fellow in the middle is greatgrandad Uriah (yes, that was his name). The younger fellow just behind in the hat is my grandpa. One of my great uncles is hatless, the other has a flat cap. I don't know what type of head gear the great aunt on the left is wearing. You can see what looks like a Model T in the background. Many years later, in the late 70's I remember attending a family reunion where the uncle in the flat cap was wearing an Open Road. He looked much like the great
grandad in this photo at that time.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is my paternal grandfather. He was never without his hat; always a Stetson, either straw or felt and always a dress hat except for one photo of him I have seen in a fedora creased OR. He was a bank teller in his brother's bank for nearly 40 years.

familyphoto.jpg

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
If I had to guess...

frussell said:
Charles Ludlow Bogert, in uniform:
CharlesLudlowBogert.jpg
[/IMG]

...I'd say pre-Civil War militia. It was very common for these units to have unique uniforms, and older styles still predominated. One of the Virginia militia units actually mustered for the Civil War with a uniform patterned after the Continental Army uniform of the Revolutionary War.

Any chance he was from New York City? The hat brass looks like a reversed “7”. The frame also says "Broadway". It may be that he was a member of the famed 7th New York militia regiment. A quick Google image search showed a number of pictures of the 7th and its parent units in similar uniforms.

Cracker

One of the Regulars
You're the spittin' image, Paladin. Where was the bank? Just curious, as I grew up in your neck of the woods.

Mr. Paladin said:
This is my paternal grandfather. He was never without his hat; always a Stetson, either straw or felt and always a dress hat except for one photo of him I have seen in a fedora creased OR. He was a bank teller in his brother's bank for nearly 40 years.

familyphoto.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
Mid-Fogey

Yes, he was from a New York family that came over on a vessell called "The Spotted Cow" from Amsterdam in 1663. There were many Bogerts from then on, in the Bronx, Harlem, all over New York. His son is my icon photo. Great research. I wish my grandfather was still alive to ask about this. Even at 99, he never forgot a fact. Thanks, Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran