Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

texashatman

Familiar Face
Boy, I loved everybodies old pics. My family comes more from the western side of the hat thing so I thought I'd post some up.

I never had a choice about being a hat guy. This is my granpa about 1919 3rd from the right
jap.jpg
[/IMG]

and this is my dad about 1966
daddy66.jpg
[/IMG]

Michaelshane

One Too Many
texashatman said:
Boy, I loved everybodies old pics. My family comes more from the western side of the hat thing so I thought I'd post some up.

I never had a choice about being a hat guy. This is my granpa about 1919 3rd from the right
jap.jpg
[/IMG]

daddy66.jpg
[/IMG]
Looks like a mod.92 Winchester.You have the rifle?

Inusuit

A-List Customer
texashatman said:

jap.jpg
[/IMG]

daddy66.jpg
[/IMG]

The child in red appears appropriately apprehensive about looking down the muzzle of that rifle.

Which looks to me more like a model 94. I believe the 92's had a shorter loading port. His revolver appears to be a single action with stag grips. Colt, maybe?

texashatman

Familiar Face
Michaelshane said:
See how long the forearm goes past the barrel band,and curved butt.92.
I'm not sure what kinda rifle that was. My dad died when I was young and our house was broken into and all my dads and both of my grandpas guns were stolen! Truly a great loss. I have 1 pistol left over from all 3 collections.

Michaelshane all those pictures were taken in "The Land of Enchantment". The first one was in between Fort Sumner and Roswell on my families old ranch and the one of my dad was taken on a ranch he managed adjacent to the Mescalero Reservation. I think the ranch's name at the time was White Oaks ranch but I'm not sure.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I tried to post a link to a GunsAmerica listing that showed a 94 Saddle Ring Carbine with a curved buttplate and long forend, but alas....

Off topic anyway.

Maguire

Practically Family
Very few of my old photos have anyone wearing a hat however it appears my grandfather wore a short brim fedora almost always, and can be seen in photos up til his death in 1972 wearing a fedora. This was taken in the 1960s i believe. Ireland was never big on fedoras- most of the folks wore flat caps unfortunately.

joe_josephine_jackhanleycirca1960sl.jpg

texashatman

Familiar Face
Inusuit said:
I tried to post a link to a GunsAmerica listing that showed a 94 Saddle Ring Carbine with a curved buttplate and long forend, but alas....

Off topic anyway.
although it's off topic I appreciate the info. I'm a gun nut but I've never thought of recreating my dads collection. I might just do that!

texashatman

Familiar Face
here's another one...This one from Lorenzo Tx about 1917 or 1918. Many different hats here. That's my grandpa Jap Harrell in the black 3rd from the left along with his "city" cousins.
granpajap.jpg
[/IMG]

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Doublegun said:
This is my dad, black hat, coat and gloves, in April 1972 walking on the Boardwalk in Athantic City. The hat is a Dobbs.

A lot of hats for 1972. I was 20 then, and lived in New Jersey too. I don't remember that many hats, but I was a hippie type in those days. My dad was military and never wore a hat unless he had to.

Doublegun

Practically Family
kaosharper1 said:
A lot of hats for 1972. I was 20 then, and lived in New Jersey too. I don't remember that many hats, but I was a hippie type in those days. My dad was military and never wore a hat unless he had to.

I thought the same thing, myself. My dad (and the two fellows on his right side) were visiting AC for a National School Boards Convention. They were all three from Indiana - which makes the hat thing even more remarkable.

This is actually one of my favorite photos of my dad.

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
It's a '94. I had a 25-35 saddle ring carbine that had more wood in front of the barrel band like the one in the picture as well as the curved butt plate. Also, look at the trigger guard. The '92 is very different than the '94. The trigger guard on a '94 is more circular in that it doesn't reverse curve into the lever like a '92. The '94's did that so that the guard would engage the safety on the bottom of the frame. The frame is longer on the '94 to accommodate the longer cartridges such as the ubiquitous 30-30. I need to post some pics of my Dad's side of the family here. Lots of great pics guys!!

Doublegun

Practically Family
Inusuit said:

Off topic anyway.

The gun appears to be a standard pre-64 M94. 1964 is the critical year for collectors of Winchesters with pre-64 guns attracting a premium. The curved buttplate and the extended wood indicate pre-64 manufacturing.

frussell

One Too Many
Great Grandfather

When he was a buffalo hunter, circa 1888:
HKBogertBuffaloHunter1888-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Shorter hair, horseback:
HKBhorserightsideup.jpg
[/IMG] In uniform:
hkbuniform.jpg
[/IMG]

Later in life, cool hat and boots!
HKBhatboots.jpg
[/IMG]

This guy lived to be 94, and then fell off his roof fixing his TV antenna and died of complications in the hospital. Frank

frussell

One Too Many
Grandfather with Admiral Ragsdale, Charles Lindbergh

The younger man lurking in the background of the group is my grandfather during his Navy days. He wasn't an admiral, but had a talent for getting in pictures of famous folks. Lindbergh was visiting the Espiritu Santo Islands, I believe in May of 1944. From an old clipping in my grandfather's scrapbook.
IMG_0005.jpg
[/IMG]

Frank

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Now that i have found the right thread...

Here is my great great grandfather. Somewhere near Manchester - no ide of the context.
Diagram002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic