Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

Bluesman61

Familiar Face
Here is one I just found of my great-grandfather Jay Little. I don't know any details but this was probably taken in the late 30's, early 40's in Forrest Home, Alabama. I'm going to ask my great aunt if she can tell me more about the hat he was wearing. Perhaps this will serve as a template for my next VS custom!

sc00046f52.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
A portrait of my paternal grandfather, early 40s, at the time of his serving in the Navy:

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

He served with the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War, for the whole conflict, and when this ended, he was conscripted for two or three years in the Navy, in Cadiz. At that time, one day he ceded his seat to a priest in a train, and had some nice conversation with him; later on, he, in his sailor uniform, met the same priest in Cadiz, and it happened he was a Navy padre! Obviously he had taken a liking to that good-mannered young man, because he took him as his chauffeur, which was a privileged assignment; this was a civilian dress service, smart appearance required.

The above portrait belongs to this time, as is the group pic, showing him with some comrades.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Torpedo said:
A portrait of my paternal grandfather, early 40s, at the time of his serving in the Navy:

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

He served with the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War, for the whole conflict, and when this ended, he was conscripted for two or three years in the Navy, in Cadiz. At that time, one day he ceded his seat to a priest in a train, and had some nice conversation with him; later on, he, in his sailor uniform, met the same priest in Cadiz, and it happened he was a Navy padre! Obviously he had taken a liking to that good-mannered young man, because he took him as his chauffeur, which was a privileged assignment; this was a civilian dress service, smart appearance required.

The above portrait belongs to this time, as is the group pic, showing him with some comrades.
Talk about a resemblance! Scrolling upward on the screen, I was going to guess that was your ancestor even before I saw the name tag at the top.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Fer the love of...

Oddly enough, I have photos of family and extended family that goes back to the mid 1800s. I have tintypes, CDVs, Cabinet cards, Kodak snaps and Polaroids.

And guess what?

Almost NEVER a hat to be seen (except VFW garrison caps and military hats and police hats-- some of my family were Cincinnati cops)

I have a photo of my grandmother's father when he was about about 17 in the late 1800s with a hat on... but it is pushed so far back on his head that it is utterly indistinguishable as to style.

My mom has a pic of my grandfather with a nice fedora on from around the 1930s. He's in front of Packard.

Then I have various military and cop hats and that is about it.

It appears that my family were not much for hats at least not in photos. And come to think of it, as a kid I don't ever remember any of my older family members wearing hats much, either.

Yet I love hats.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone. I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. Regarding my ancestors, they all seemed to have worn hats, either fedoras or homburgs. My parents are from Italy, and they tell me that every man and woman wore hats until well into the 1980s. A good number of the pictures I have seen feature hats, very classy suits and well dressed women with furs and hats.

I can clearly see where my love of hats comes from.

frussell

One Too Many
Getting to be holiday time, and as I miss my grandfather, I've scanned more of his old photos this week. First, as a young stable hand, perhaps during the time when he drove a string of horses from L.A. to Palm Springs to rent to dudes, paying his UCLA tuition:
fmbcarryingsaddleyoung1.jpg
[/IMG]
His 99-year old hands looking at a scrapbook photo of him and Ike (in a cap):
fmbeisenhower1.jpg
[/IMG]
Sorry, no hat, but with a famous hat wearer and his wife:
fmbladybirdlbj1.jpg
[/IMG]
Obviously having a laugh at Nixon's expense:
fmbnixon1.jpg
[/IMG]
With a favorite horse, followed by my favorite, which shows how much fun he was:
frankblazeface1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0002-1.jpg
[/IMG]
Happy Holidays to all you grandfathers and grandsons out there. Frank

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The only pic I have of an ancestor with his head covered. My Father's father up in Montreal in 1898 when he was 9 yo working on a milk wagon . He's the one without the pipe :)

hudonmilkwagon.jpg

CitizenGenet

Familiar Face
Here are two photos of my great-great uncle. Probably taken in or around Atchison, Kansas. There's a good chance he's wearing a Stevens hat as the factory was just across the river and it was the hat of choice of my other relatives from Atchison.

CC.jpg

TinaandCC.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
A cousin of mine up in Quebec sent me about 100 or so prints and negatives that were found in my father's mother's house when she died last year. She was married to the young man in the photo in 1918 and outlived him by over 50 years. Gonna spend this next year going thru 'em all and getting them into digital files !! Might find some more "hat pics" :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Found another from 1951

This is a picture of my mothers sister and her parents when she graduated from college in 1951 (I was going on 3 yo) and her father is in his linen suit and has his teardrop crown Panama in his hand.

MarjorieIEvans021.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
My mom and her brother with my great grandfather and great grandmother. Would love that hat!

karel_petrina_elmer_knute_bostrack.jpg

My mom's grandparents and her uncle (with the tilt).

petrina_knute_clarence_bostrack.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran