Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

Flicka

One Too Many
Ancestors in hats galore!

2569c220-1.jpg

The year is 1909. From the left (not counting grand-uncle Sven in the pram): my great grandmother Judit (not even 18 in this pic, she got preggers at 15 with my great grandfather who was her piano teacher and twice her age), my great-great grandfather, my great grandfather Sigfried (the aforementioned piano teacher) with eldest daughter Greta in his arms. The prim old lady at the table is my great-great grandmother and the young lady behind her is her daughter (whose name I can't remember) and the young man is my great grand uncle Gunnar (who is wearing a 'studentmössa'; a hat that signifies that he has a school degree and is ready for university). The lady seated in front of him is Judit's mother, so she's also my great-great grandmother.

My mother adored my great grandmother Judit. She had both warmth, humour and a backbone of steel. She and her husband had 14 children, and if he hadn't died of a heart attack, they'd probably have had more. She raised them alone, put them all through school and most through college or university (God knows how, but somehow she managed). She never really got over the loss of her husband, though - she missed him to the last day she lived. "That Sigfried – what a man!" she would say and sigh. According to my mother she still did when she was well over 90! :) Mum wanted to name me after her but my father absolutely refused because he thought 'Judit' was ghastly.

Flicka

One Too Many
Your mother's outfit is gorgeous (not that your father is badly turned out, I'm just all about the skirts :) )!

johnp

New in Town
i've gotten too the point in my life were i dress up with a coat and vest, pocket watch, and of course a fedora, felt hardee hat, or if i feel like it a homburg, i'm 63 and do not care what people think. i've seen people were pajamas in walmart. people do not care or threy have have no respect for were they are.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^You have nothing to apologize for, to anybody. As you said, if others can wear pajamas in public, you can certainly dress up in style. If you can accept the fact that some will ultimately view you as anachronistic (depending on how far back you go with your articles of clothing), do not hesitate to express yourself in a stylish way. If Greco-Roman fashion can make a comeback during the Napoleonic-Empire period, then there is still hope for our style-challenged society.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Ancestors in hats galore!

2569c220-1.jpg

The year is 1909. From the left (not counting grand-uncle Sven in the pram): my great grandmother Judit (not even 18 in this pic, she got preggers at 15 with my great grandfather who was her piano teacher and twice her age), my great-great grandfather, my great grandfather Sigfried (the aforementioned piano teacher) with eldest daughter Greta in his arms. The prim old lady at the table is my great-great grandmother and the young lady behind her is her daughter (whose name I can't remember) and the young man is my great grand uncle Gunnar (who is wearing a 'studentmössa'; a hat that signifies that he has a school degree and is ready for university). The lady seated in front of him is Judit's mother, so she's also my great-great grandmother.

My mother adored my great grandmother Judit. She had both warmth, humour and a backbone of steel. She and her husband had 14 children, and if he hadn't died of a heart attack, they'd probably have had more. She raised them alone, put them all through school and most through college or university (God knows how, but somehow she managed). She never really got over the loss of her husband, though - she missed him to the last day she lived. "That Sigfried – what a man!" she would say and sigh. According to my mother she still did when she was well over 90! :) Mum wanted to name me after her but my father absolutely refused because he thought 'Judit' was ghastly.

Flicka, that's a great photo and cool story.

Would great grandmother Judit have been considered to be rather scandalous in Swedish society of that time? She was obviously a tough lady to bring up all those kids alone.

Nice hats too!

Flicka

One Too Many
Flicka, that's a great photo and cool story.

Would great grandmother Judit have been considered to be rather scandalous in Swedish society of that time? She was obviously a tough lady to bring up all those kids alone.

Nice hats too!

They lived in a small town and while they got married very quickly and discreetly, I'm sure the story of 'why' entertained the gossipers for years. I've heard the constant stream of children didn't help in that regard... :) With that said, I think she was well-respected for her manners and her abilities. Her husband taught at a very prestigious boarding school and I think they must have had a pretty sterling reputation for that. Her children were all extremely well-mannered and studious and that probably counted in her favour. But she was tough as nails; when Sven was born, they had planned a birthday party for Greta that same day and so she immediately got out of bed and prepared it. However, these are among the most respectable of my ancestors (as opposed to French vaudeville singers and eloped husbands on my fathers side).

Randomly, my sister offered me what I think is the coffee pot in the picture the other day. Score!

Is Charles your ancestor, Alan? (Nothing would surprise me any more on this forum.)

No relation, but I know a lot more about my ancestors thanks to his work... was hunting for a spot to post these and liked this thread title better than "the non-shorpy web all stars." :) I also love this thread and wanted to give it a bump.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flicka, I am from Minnesota and of course have predominantly Swedish ancestry, but I never knew Swedes in the old country in the old days had style. You have disabused me of my misconception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24