Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anorak : Like Pitt wears in "TIBET"

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Edward said:
I was definitely impressed with them myself. If I was donig a lot of hillwalking these days..... I was also tempted by the jacket they have in that looks a lot like a B-10-inspired item, less the furry collar..... had it not had a zip-out hood in the back of the collar and had it been a little cheaper, I might have been very tempted by that one....

AFAIK, we get the same stuff in the Gap here in the UK as you do over there - difference is, they charge double the amount in good-ole Rip-Off Britain!
Ouch!

They don't seem to have that one online here, though. Oh, well, I didn't need to spend any more money anyway! lol

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
The ultimate smock jacket

Maybe we need an 'ultimate anorak' thread...

For me, this would be it. They made these for the MOD when I worked for Belstaff (BIL on the label = Belstaff International Limited) and I have been looking for one for over thirty years. They were made for the Royal Navy Search and Rescue, who I remember paid in the 1960s what would now be the equivalent of around 1000 GBP for each one!

These babies provided just the best combination or durability, practicality and weather protection I have ever seen in a smock. They had a double layer Ventile cotton (outperforms Gore-Tex) construction with an inter-layer and more press-studs on every flap than enough. The only downside in walking or climbing applications is the weight.
RNVentile2.jpg

RNVentile3.jpg

RNVentile5.jpg

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Yes, Fjall Raven kit is excellent and that suit would give really good service. As the seller adds in a correction, it is clearly not Ventile (R) as you can see from the sheen.

Alan

nobodyspecial said:
That's a great looking anorak. You are correct that the only downside is weight, and perhaps bulk, if you are having to carry the anorak in your rucksack. This just sold on ebay, very nice, not vintage, but very nice indeed. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200177071386&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Prior to gore tex taking over the market for rainwear, at least in the US, quite a few companies made ventile jackets. The best was generally believed to be the version made by Synergy Works from Oakland, CA. I have a gore tex jacket by Synergy Works, as well as one of their packs, but have yet to get my hands on a ventile jacket.

I do have a ventile jacket make by Snow Lion, but it is in tough shape and in need to rehab. The Snow Lion jacket has mesh in the shoulder and chest area sandwiched between the shell and lining. Synergy Works did the same thing. I believe this was to keep the jacket from wetting through.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi, skygod- welcome.

Are the first two photos Lomax Militaria, Germany?(you have "Lomax" in the file name)
I have on of his Gebirgsj?¶ger Anoraks and that looks like it.
The last photo is interesting- different from the "normal" German Anorak.

Lomax-
http://stores.ebay.de/Lomax-Militaria

No anoraks there today.

What's the story with the 3rd photo? What can you tell us?
I'm intrigued...

Your goal is "becoming an Anorak"?:p

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
number6 said:

Brett Harris Ltd (which owns West-Winds) also owns Snugpak (I swear by their gear). Their ventile (r) stuff is fantastic. Interestingly the BH company was started by Briony Harris, Brett's wife, who had an idea for outdoor clothing and made her own. She taught Brett to sew and they built up the business while still in 'day jobs'. They then set up G&H, which became Crag Hoppers, which they sold off. This is according to Mike Parsons (gear historian and founder of Karrimor).

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Yes, I find the last photo interesting, too. The lower pocket flaps are like the BW parka flaps. I like the chest pocket pleats, too. Different and very practical. Do tell us...

Alan

QUOTE=BellyTank]Hi, skygod- welcome.

Are the first two photos Lomax Militaria, Germany?(you have "Lomax" in the file name)
I have on of his Gebirgsj?¶ger Anoraks and that looks like it.
The last photo is interesting- different from the "normal" German Anorak.

Lomax-
http://stores.ebay.de/Lomax-Militaria

No anoraks there today.

What's the story with the 3rd photo? What can you tell us?
I'm intrigued...

Your goal is "becoming an Anorak"?:p

B
T[/QUOTE]

ukali1066

Practically Family
Well I'm no Brad Pitt, but here's my anorak, it's civillian, I got it on ebay some years ago, it was very very faded, almost beige, but inside the pockets etc it was still olive green, so I redyed it, the material is lovely, like gaberdine.

The two zips are AERO

Anyone know anything about the maker "JEMCOPRUFE" ?

smockfull.jpg

smock.jpg

smockzip.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BT will confirm that apart from the buttons and zip on the chest pocket, this is very like the British Army Smock Cadets Windproof. The Belstaff Dalesman is also similar but in grey with a yellow lining. The care instructions are very similar to those on a Dalesman. a I haven't heard of this brand before - its interesting to an anorak anorak!

We have counselled on the pitfalls of dating by zips and buttons, but those Aeros have 'C' clip stopper. Usually a sign of 'early' (he said, avoiding committing himself to a date).

There is a Grenfell anorak very like this (possibly what they were all copying). If you see one - buy it! They are very collectable.

Alan

BellyTank said:
Nice one Ukali- I have a few Anoraks...

B
T

tonyper

Familiar Face
Anorak

I have one from Bean, nice, comfy. Modern materials though. Check maybe Sierra Trading Post, Cabelas, or Bean for that matter, might not be vintage materials but they are great to have.

Regards Tony

JG

New in Town
Anorak Sourcing

Hi all,

A couple of sources of anoraks I've come across. First is a modern cotton poly blend but the olive drab ones might look all right if they were weathered a bit:

http://www.armynavysales.com/Mercha...Code=01&Product_Code=CJ107&Category_Code=TSH7

Second are Swedish military snow anoraks in an off-white colour. There are a couple of sources but this is the cheapest I've come across and it's in the US. The others I've found are all in Europe.

http://www.rddusa.com/Swedish-Wind-...Surplus-Army-Parka-G-I-Military-Clothing.html

I've bought two. I'm going to try to dye one a sage green or dark khaki colour and maybe try to rearrange the pockets to resemble more the german mountain troop versions posted on this string.

Here's a string of outdoor enthusiasts who swear by them and have modified them in some interesting ways.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?t=26925&sid=07ddd97bceff20038c902263c374b5be

Cheers,

Jim

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Alan Eardley said:

Alan,
This anorak is one that was used by the Royal Navy in the 50's, 60's and 70's by deck radiomen. There's also overtrousers with braces / suspenders. The funny little press stid flaps were to assist in the routing of the cables. There was also a hole inside one of the lower pockets and pockets in the hood at the ears that allowed the earphones / receivers to sit correctly. They are lined in cotton drill.
I've had several of these. They are very heavy and hot to wear. Great if you are standing about but not if you're walking / climbing.
Cheers,
Dave

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Anoraks.

As an avid (read;SAD) anorak collector of many years standing, I've been reading this fairly old thread with interest.
I've had WW2 US Army reversible anoraks, post war L.L.Bean non reversible, British Antarctic Survey pre WW2 and post WW2 anoraks in cotton and ventile and Fjallraven Expedition anoraks and overtrousers as well as a whole load of other over-the-head anoraks.

I recently bought an olive green BAS anorak through www.sofmilitary.co.uk and then had a heavier weight one made by the same maker (Westwinds) in orange that has turned out to be fantastic.

I'll try to dig out old photos and take some new ones to post on here over the next few days.

Cheers
DDR

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Me too, I'd like to view those photos, D.

I've asked Weswinds about custom versions and they were open to the idea. But there were limits on replacing velcro, etc. Did you eschew velcro and go for old-style fastenings? I assume you went for double, or self-lined, ventile...

BAS...see earlier in Dudley's post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24