Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anorak : Like Pitt wears in "TIBET"

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
The Gebirgsjäger Anoraks are really nice but I'm not to keen on the reversible to white and the fact that the white side shows. I used to have one of those, which was made by Lost Batallions- the HK one looks perhaps better and the vendor is very helpful.

B
T

BT,

The highest quality and most functional Gebirgsjäger jacket I have ever seen is made by (not Hong Kong) Keith at Extreme Outdoor Clothing in Sutton Coldfield. He knows his outdoor stuff well (being an ex-RM mountain soldier) and is a great guy. He does mainly 'high-tech' modern stuff but has a soft spot for WW2 alpine kit. His Gebirgsjäger anorak is quite an accurate replica, is made from real Ventile cloth and is - probably more functional than the original. As each is made to order, he will do a 'non-reversible' version if you ask him nicely. The only thing is - it's very expensive, but then Ventile cloth is.

Alan

Edward

Bartender
I happened across this in The Gap on Saturday afternoon, and was reminded of this thread:

GapTibet.jpg

Looks pretty close in general style to Pitt's to me.... felt like reasonable quality too. Didn't catch the price, though.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I have one from J Peterman that's about 15 years old. It's a 10th Mountain replica ski anorak.....tan on one side, white on the other, with coyote (I think) collar. I googled "10th mountain" but didn't see any leads to replica clothing....but I'll bet someone still makes them.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
anoraks...

There is an interesting pre-war LL Bean Ski Parka / Anorak on EBAY right now ( Ebay # 270183783279 ) (wasn't sure about if we were allowed to post ebay links here).

Jerry Lee at WPG did a reproduction of the US Mountain Parka (with fur collar) a couple of years ago. Since it was sort of an obscure item it didn't sell to well and he ended up putting them on clearance. I don't think he has any left.

Cheers,

---Scott

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The "Tibet" one looks a little more ancient than the wartime and post war examples- it really needs the lace-up chest and a simple, single pocket.

That GAP job looks similar to US and French military parka/Anoraks.

I have had designs on modifying one for this look. I have several of the "Swedish" Parka/Smock/Anoraks, which have plenty of room to modify, very capacious, plenty of spare cloth and are very basic in design. Altering one should be easy. Pockets can be removed and remade to suit, lace-up neck shouldn't be a problem.
They can be obtained cheaply and are available in a cream colour, tan and olive green. I have the Gebirgsjæger anorak , which is very complicated.

The Swedish ones are either button-through or pullover- it's obviously the pullover required. There is one on OFAS.UK- # 250165198407

Of course, it all depends on how much money you want to part with and how accurate you want it to be.

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BT

Why not put a lace in the neck of that windproof smock I gave you and take off the two lower pockets? It's be green rather than grey but the chest pocket and waist etc are at least similar to the one in the film.

I'v just picked up another one in unissued condition, BTW.

Alan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
All in good time..., all in good time... oh great benevolent, wise one of the Midlands.
Your memory is better than mine.

Yes- the Cadet smock would be a good starting point, I'm guessing the movie one also has Raglan sleeves too,
as most do. Very close now that I compare te two. The Cadet Smock has nice elasticated, inner storm cuffs too.

Remove skirt pockets, shorten and lower the chest pocket, remove velcro, add eyelets, leave the neck gussett in place.
From handling it, it seems to be all cotton, so I could bleach it to lighten it, age it,
even-out/hide the discolouration, fade/dark contrast from existing wear, removed pockets and other
alterations. It would be easy enough, given the window of opportunity and the inclination.

A very in-depth approach, eh..?
I bought some bleach today...
Brass eyelets tomorrow... maybe I already have some...;)

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
If I remember correctly, the "Telemark" Anorak is a little more of a '60s style though. I'm sure we've visited this movie and Rat Mears on the FL before...

B
T

Indeed we have, and noted the similarity to the British windproof smock. But the style is much older than the 60s. Here's a photo of Hillary and Tenzing Norgay after returning from the summit of Everest (as we call it) in 1953. Note the similarity (except the windflap) to the garments we are discussing, and that (according to modern theories) they should have been totally inadequate for such conditions.
hillary_tenzing.jpg

They were blue, by the way, made of poly-cotton in two layers and have zips.

<Added later> I've just recalled that they were called Wyncol suits.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Bump and a clearer picture added.

<Added later> I've just recalled (creaking memory) that they were called Wyncol suits.

<Added even later still> I amaze myself! The fabric was indeed called Wyncol D711 and was developed by Aquascutum (who also developed Antartex for the 1958 South Pole expedition). So, between them Burberry (Shackleton and Mallory) etc. and Aquascum (Hillary/Tenzing and Fuchs) produced real world-beating adventurers' gear - and now its all posh 'macs' and handbags... progress, eh?

Wyncol was a fine, tight weave of long-staple cotton in the weft and nylon (called Bri-nylon) in the warp. Tests carried out by the Ministry of Supply showed this to be more effective than Grenfell cloth, even though Haythornthwaites (makers of Grenfell cloth) had virtually been promised the contract. Shades of old war-time scores being settled, perhaps!

Er...should this be moved to the Adventurers' Gear thread?

Alan

hillary_tenzing2.jpg

Alan Eardley said:
Here's a photo of Hillary and Tenzing Norgay after returning from the summit of Everest (as we call it) in 1953.

hillary_tenzing.jpg

They were blue, by the way, made of poly-cotton in two layers and have zips.

Alan

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic photos Alan.

A few years ago Auckland Museum had a wonderful exhibition of the 1953 Everest expedition with a huge amount of the clothing used set up on mannequins. Really was interesting and they had absolute tons of equipment, clothing and all sorts of miscellaneous bits and bobs on display.

I'm sure many posters here in this thread would've loved it.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Smithy

Yes, I heard about the Auckland Museum exhibition and was sad that I couldn't see it myself - probably the best collection of gear from 'Everest 1953' ever collected in one place. Apart from George Band's jacket I have never actually been close to any of the clothing. I would love to have seen that exhibition. NZ has, of course, a unique place in the story of the 1953 Everest (as we call it...) expedition.

Alan

Smithy said:
Fantastic photos Alan.

A few years ago Auckland Museum had a wonderful exhibition of the 1953 Everest expedition with a huge amount of the clothing used set up on mannequins. Really was interesting and they had absolute tons of equipment, clothing and all sorts of miscellaneous bits and bobs on display.

I'm sure many posters here in this thread would've loved it.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
hmmm you know i think my dad actually has an anorak that is dead on for the one used by pitt in the movie. i remember finding it when i was younger and i was mad because it was to small for me. very cool piece of gear. next time i'm at his place i'll have to see if i can find it and take some pics

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Edward said:
I happened across this in The Gap on Saturday afternoon, and was reminded of this thread:

GapTibet.jpg

Looks pretty close in general style to Pitt's to me.... felt like reasonable quality too. Didn't catch the price, though.
Edward, that's even better looking than the one I have from the Gap! Despite coming from there, mine has proved to be tough and versatile. It had zippers I had to remove, but that has been it's only flaw so far. It's getting a bit ragged now, so I hope they are selling this version in the States! Thanks for the heads up!

Edward

Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Edward, that's even better looking than the one I have from the Gap! Despite coming from there, mine has proved to be tough and versatile. It had zippers I had to remove, but that has been it's only flaw so far. It's getting a bit ragged now, so I hope they are selling this version in the States! Thanks for the heads up!

I was definitely impressed with them myself. If I was donig a lot of hillwalking these days..... I was also tempted by the jacket they have in that looks a lot like a B-10-inspired item, less the furry collar..... had it not had a zip-out hood in the back of the collar and had it been a little cheaper, I might have been very tempted by that one....

AFAIK, we get the same stuff in the Gap here in the UK as you do over there - difference is, they charge double the amount in good-ole Rip-Off Britain!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24