Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Akubra Federation too big

qwerty

Familiar Face
I bought a gray Akubra Federation some six months ago. But I did not wear it much since.
My head is size 60 so I ordered size 60. It turned out to big tooooo big. When I putted those foam peaces that come with the hat it made it wearable. But it still looks waaaaaay to big for my head.
People at hatsdirect told me that just an average amount of wearing it will shrink it down to size. But it means that I have to wear it for some time like this.
I do not like that idea. Is there some way that I can speed up the process. I was thinking of soaking it in watter and then leaving it on the sun. Or maybe steaming it and then leaving it on the sun.
These two seem kinda too extreme for me. Will Akubra Federation survive this kind of treatment?
Any suggestions?

MattJH

One Too Many
qwerty said:
People at hatsdirect told me that just an average amount of wearing it will shrink it down to size. But it means that I have to wear it for some time like this.
I do not like that idea. Is there some way that I can speed up the process. I was thinking of soaking it in watter and then leaving it on the sun. Or maybe steaming it and then leaving it on the sun.

Do a search for the word "lamp" or "lampshade." There's a process where you can wet the leather sweatband and leave it on a lit lamp that will speed up the shrinking process. Make sure you read the previous posts about it before you try it, though! I'm only giving you a brief snippet because I don't remember everything about it.

qwerty said:
These two seem kinda too extreme for me. Will Akubra Federation survive this kind of treatment?

No question about it. Akubras, especially the ones with stiffer felt, could survive a steamroller.

Practically. :)

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The lampshade method it tricky and if not done right can burn the hat. Although it does work. A safer method is to turn down the leather sweatband and wet the underside of the sweatband thoroughly with a sponge and then take a hair dryer and blow it dry, this will shrink it up.

fedoralover

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
fedoralover, Thanks for the tip about soaking the backside of the sweatband, then drying it with a hair dryer. It's always good to learn a new technique. I hope I don't have to use it any time soon, but I'll definitely add it to my bag of tricks.

fatwoul

Practically Family
qwerty said:
...Is there some way that I can speed up the process. I was thinking of soaking it in watter and then leaving it on the sun. Or maybe steaming it and then leaving it on the sun.
Any suggestions?

A guy told me that an alternative to the lampshade trick is to wet the back of the sweatband and then leave the hat upturned somewhere really sunny for an afternoon. Again, that can be tricky, and if you're not careful, a hat can also shrink too far and then need stretching back up. I doubt that would happen with an Akubra hat though, because they seemed to be deliberately oversized to account for shrinkage - leather can't shrink infinitely, so I suspect the oversizing allows the band to shrink down to an expected size, and stay there more reliably.

Personally, I don't like the thought of speeding the process up. It doesn't seem as controllable, and the techniques never seem to actually use the shape of your head to do the job, so even if they work, the hat still won't feel just right for some time.

I much prefer the idea of letting the hat shrink at whatever rate it needs to, so I've just been sweating mine smaller. When I first got my 58 Fed Dlx (also from hatsdirect), I too found it too big without the foam put in place, but with foam all the way around, it fit fine. Now - only a week and a half later - the hat fits almost perfectly, with only two small pieces of foam left front and back.

It really helps if you wear it constantly during the warmer weather, even indoors. Not when you go to someone else's house, of course, but when you're just lazing around your own place, wear the hat. Leave the AC off, too. Within a couple of days, you'll find yourself taking pieces of the foam out.

That's another thing, by the way - don't use the foam in one long piece. Cut it into four pieces, for front, back and each side. That way, when you start to feel the hat getting a little more snug in places, you can take just those pieces out, without disturbing the other pieces of foam.

If your hat is already bashed, I reckon it's only you that will notice it looks too big. I bet nobody else would even notice, certainly not in the time it takes to shrink it naturally.

Just wear it loads now, while the weather is warmer, and you might be surprised. If not, well you can always try a lampshade or other technique later.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I had measured my head with a centimetre tape and came out to 59.5. (My usual continental hat size is 59, and I've even been wearing stretched 58s some years ago, after my father gave me two of his.) The lady at Akubra found me a "larger 59", and up to now it's fine. I haven't been wearing it that often yet, so I can't say if you have to expect it to shrink or widen.

dzacca

New in Town
I've got almost the same problem with my Fed DL. I'm 59 but bought a 59, and it still was too big.
I'd avoid to soak the hat and leave it under the sun, instead, soak the sweatband and dry it with an hairdryer; don't dry it completely or the leather'll become hard. Repeat the operations three or four time (once a day) and than wear the hat as much as possible. My Fed fitted perfectly after about 3 weeks. In the beginning I used also a bit of foam, but now I've completely removed it.

I don't think you would still allowed to send back your hat for a smaller one, six month is too much for any store, but I'm sure that if you follow the tricks suggested in the various replies to your post you'll be able to shrink the hat to your size.

--
Diego

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Once you accept that the hat (sweatband) will shrink in the course of time, it makes sense they recommend the larger of two sizes and to use the inlays for the time being. Otherwise you'll invariably end up with a hat that's too tight after a while. Water and hairdryer will simply quicken the process.

qwerty

Familiar Face
Thanks for the suggestion of that lamp method. I tried it and it worked. It was too big even with the foam peaces and now after a couple of sessions it fits snugly. I still have those foam peaces in but they will probably be taken out as the time passes. The hat now fells like something I can wear.
And I have to say I fell in love with that hat. That was my girlfriends favorite hat of mine ever since I bought it. But I could not like it while it seemed so big to me. Now it seems like something I will wear every day when the temperature falls a bit.

Now I have another question.
What kind of clothes is acceptable to go with the gray Federation?

MattJH

One Too Many
qwerty said:

Whatever you think looks good. In the old movies, they're (generally) always accompanied by nice outfits; suits and the like. The only way that fedoras will ever truly make any sort of "comeback" is if they're worn without the nice dress. Otherwise, they'll never work with the common man / woman, and that's a demographic that most every company needs to target.

I've worn some of my best fedoras with a t-shirt and jeans, honestly.

dzacca

New in Town
qwerty said:

Gray is quite a forgiving color, you can use a gray hat almost with everything.

Here you can find a few tips for choosing the hat/dress color combination.

Enjoy your Federation, it's a very good hat! My Fed DL is currently my favorite...

Pok 9'er

New in Town
Akubra Bogart

I just received my Bogart from Hats by the Hundred. Although it's a size 59 just like my Banjo Paterson it is smaller. It has a more oval shape to it which might account for the different fit. Has anyone else noticed that difference between Akubra country and fashion style hats?

schanop

New in Town
It's winter at the moment on this part of the world where Akubra hats are made, so I have been wearing my Federations (and others) with a coat. sweater, and long sleeve shirt almost daily. But on a more casual days, something like the following seems to work for me:

As for the size, remember that there can be some variation between what are labeled as 59 due to the manufactoring tolerance and error.

oswulf

New in Town
I measure between a 58 and a 59 so I ordered the 59. No freakin' way it was going to work, came down to my nose nearly. So I sent it back for a 58 which was still big enough that I needed to put the foam tape all the way around. Well I loved the hat so I wear it pretty much everywhere and began taking pieces of foam tape out every couple days. I just took the last of it out yesterday and it fits perfectly, I really hope it's done shrinking now or I'll have to start stretching the bugger next.

I'm used to a hat drawing up a bit, but never anything like this before. I may be sorry I didn't stick with the 59 if it shrinks more. But I do love the hat, It's my favorite right now and all the other hats are plotting it's demise so they can get some head too.:rolleyes:

Oswulf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've said this before, but it bears repeating here: There's seemingly something about the Federation that just runs larger than other Akubras. My Stockman and Cattleman shrank to perfect fit after a few sweaty wearings, and I took out the foam and never looked back. But my Federation (a size 57 just like the others) still feels big on me after *four years*, and I recently put some foam tape back into it!

big kahuna

Familiar Face
I bought a Cattleman in size 65 (aka US 8)..

and it fits well. I am a long oval, and it is more round, but it is settling in pretty good after a few wearings in the heat.

I now see how their hats run big, as I usually wear a 8 1/8 to 8 1/4.

I like the quality, and although it is na "western style", it is a great rugged outdoor activity hat. I recommend tham to all fellow bucketheads!!:D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Let's see, here's what I've learned in the past year: Stetsons aren't made well, and the colors run in the rain. Akubras are made well, but they come with the wrong size tag. Have you guys found anybody who makes a decent hat, that fits and will last, for $150 or less?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80