Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Asian Repro Co

zebedee

One Too Many
This could simply be 'Konglish'. From the label, 'Master Film', it seems unlikely that this company is trying to pass itself off as 'Good Wear'.

'Konglish' is a beautiful thing- like 'Chinglish'. Many are the papers I've graded without the slightest threat of grammatical accuracy.

Homogenization
Yuck!
Call me Un-American, but I miss only getting strawberries in the Summer, and friends coming back from far away places with "exotic" goods :)
That's my gripe in general as the world gets smaller. Love going somewhere and finding new foods, languages, clothing, music. etc etc. No point in vacationing if everything is the same. Even just in the USA, taking road trips is not as fun as the small towns get swallowed up. I suppose it's inevitable that this happens, I just don't like it ;)

Reactions: A-1

bentusian

One of the Regulars
As some members already pointed out, I doubt Master Film's attempt, if any, to band-wagon JC's good brand name would succeed because a customer who already knows about JC's GW, will not be confused between them.

Now, after 4 pages of shoulda woulda and musta, it seems to me that no one has yet tried to contact the Korean company and raised this issue of grave concern against him. So I will contact him, even try to call him up and ask him about the intention behind the title and, if possible, politely suggest him to change the catch phrase.

If he still refuses to do so, let's start bashing this little, mediocre, unheard-of, possibly thievish Asian company again.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
their complete phrase is
Manufacturers Of Classic Good Wear Leather Jacket Company

I think it is safe to assume they just messed up their english, same way they put "S" on manufacturer and capital O for "of"

zebedee

One Too Many
Poor bloke's probably dousing himself in soju right now, flicking the wheel of an Itaewon zippo...
I may be back out there for work quite soon.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I find that hard to swallow. GW make jackets for films. GW makes mil repop jackets of the era. they make mil repops for films.

Those people would have to do some research on said jackets and for GW not to come up this day and age would shock me.
The line on the site says "Good Wear Leather Jacket Company" - not good wearing leather jackets or anything remotely believable.

Me believing that there is an unlikely chance this will effect GW in a tangible manner has nothing to do with how much I hate this ***t. Many industries have been gutted by the blatant copying/theft of American (and others, but I live here) products. Film, music, tech to name but a few. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth and it makes me angry, as is obvious.
There seems to be a misunderstanding. What I mean is not if the owner of Master Film knows about GW, it is whether GW is known to Koreans enough that it has a reputation etc to protect over there. Hence the issue I was talking is whether GW has certain reputation outside our circle and is known to more than a handful of people even over there.
Anyway, it seems if what really matters is that the owner (not Koreans in general) has copied the name and ridden on GW's coat tail then it that gets me thinking if (i.e. riding someone's coat tail) then shouldn't it be a general concern about copying names from even defunct labels as well. For example, most people may not know that the current Buco has nothing to do with the old ones and isn't that riding on Buco's coat tail as well.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
personally, morally I think it is still wrong to copy names and patterns even from a defunct company...
without stating somewhere on the product it is "a replica of" and giving proper credit to the original design owner right there on the product or on a piece of paper coming with the product.
just my personal view...

personally, morally I think it is still wrong to copy names and patterns even from a defunct company...
without stating somewhere on the product it is "a replica of" and giving proper credit to the original design owner right there on the product or on a piece of paper coming with the product.
just my personal view...
Just like every example on the GW site, to show but a few here:

This jacket is a reproduction of a Rough Wear (history), of their 42-1401-P contract. Jackets of this contract are often made with russet brown aniline horsehide, though a minute number of seal examples have been seen. This was Rough Wear's third A-2 contract, made just after their W535-ac-18091 contract.

This jacket is a reproduction of a Werber Sportswear 42-1402-P contract A-2. This was their last A-2 contract of five, with the earliest being in 1933, then 1936, 1938, 1939 and finally this contract in 1941.

California Sportwear was a leather jacket producer from the 1930s to the 1980s. They made many different styles of jackets and other garments, and examples can be found that are quite beautiful. This jacket is a copy of a California Sportwear Cafe Racer, which was first made popular by the Joseph F. Buegeleisen Company just after WWII. The design is simple and slender. Our pattern is comfortable in the shoulders and upper chest, and has a slender lower torso and sleeve ends.

California Sportwear was a leather jacket producer from the 1930s to the 1980s. They made many different styles of jackets and other garments, and examples can be found that are quite beautiful. We are making a jacket that we call the Ventura. This jacket will be available in either seal or russet brown, in horsehide or goatskin.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
would be perfect if those article is printed on a tag somewhere sewn on pocket lining, or at least come printed on a piece of small card packed together with the jacket, I don't know if it has been done by leather jacket makers doing repros (sorry if so) but I think it would be elegant and proper to do that.

If you're ordering one, you know it because it's on the website...Only other place is used, and then it's not going to have any cards or paper.

bentusian

One of the Regulars
Just spoke with the guy from Master Film over the phone.

He sounded surprised to find out about this issue, and he promised that the title in question will be removed in a couple of weeks time, as he's renewing the whole website anyway which is rather a temporary one. He definitely was more surprised that his works have caught overseas attention and he thanked for it.

So we'll see..

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
just my personal view...
That is a legitimate concern but what I was thinking is if someone copied a label/trademark of another product, the purchaser buying directly from the repro co would likely know but subsequent buyers and/or bystanders will only notice the label and may therefore presume it is an original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails