Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Diamond Dave J-100

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Any idea how the patterns differ?

Yes, it will be very interesting to see what the tweek is. But I have looked at quite a few of the original J-100 pictures from some Japanese magazines, the pattern of J-100 can vary a lot. Some of the original jackets were a lot shorter while some had more tubular and straight bodies, a bit like the RM J-100s. But then again, the cutting can probably be altered by the varying sizes and hides used.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Yes, it will be very interesting to see what the tweek is. But I have looked at quite a few of the original J-100 pictures from some Japanese magazines, the pattern of J-100 can vary a lot. Some of the original jackets were a lot shorter while some had more tubular and straight bodies, a bit like the RM J-100s. But then again, the cutting can probably be altered by the varying sizes and hides used.

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure there is just one design, and that it was an evolution. For my taste, I prefer the shorter fit, so this and @technovox 's jacket are more my style.

I've somehow missed this! DD did incredible work on this one it appears, and I quite love this leather. I wonder in what awesome way will the Essex leather develop!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
nice steer hide, nice fit too, but why does it wrinkle on top of your shoulder, I see from some pics RMC pattern seems to have a flatter shoulder while DD is more sloping down, maybe once broken in it will look unique

pawineguy

One Too Many
nice steer hide, nice fit too, but why does it wrinkle on top of your shoulder, I see from some pics RMC pattern seems to have a flatter shoulder while DD is more sloping down, maybe once broken in it will look unique

Yes, my shoulders are very flat and there is a bit of angle to this pattern. The Aero Board Racer pattern is also very flat... I think once I beat it up a bit and it breaks in and wrinkles it won't be an issue, but we'll see...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mine is the same pattern as this (with the angled shoulders) and it already flattened significantly after only a few months of not a lot of wear due to weather.

technovox

One Too Many

Chris, after comparing your jacket with mine- yours seems to have a straighter (tubular) body cut, and mine looks like it has a slight flare at the bottom. Especially noticeable in the pictures of the backs of the jackets. I'm wondering if Dave's new pattern is a straighter cut...Definitely both are a shorter body style like the Buco 1959 version.

pawineguy

One Too Many
The top coat was a little shiny for my taste, so I hit it with some isopropyl alcohol to remove some of it. In person it looks much more matte than it did before. I used it at 70% like you buy it from the store and put it on with a makeup remover pad. A little bit of black showed on the pad but I got the desired result. Not sure how well it shows in the pictures below. Original is on the left, in very similar lighting.

IMG_0493 2.jpg IMG_0834.JPG

pawineguy

One Too Many
Looks good PWG.

I've been told that isopropyl alcohol works on some leathers, but not others.

I took the plunge because I knew that it had a top coat over the black dye, so I was confident enough to risk it. Wouldn't ever give the advise to someone else to try it, I do think it's a gamble to some extent.

Looks fantastic, great fit and the price point on these seems really attractive. I've all but given up on a slim fit racer jacket but recent posts here have made me want to give it another go. I need to quit this place or resign myself to die in my office while hard at work trying to finance another ******** jacket. Well done man. Looks awesome!

technovox

One Too Many
The top coat was a little shiny for my taste, so I hit it with some isopropyl alcohol to remove some of it. In person it looks much more matte than it did before. I used it at 70% like you buy it from the store and put it on with a makeup remover pad. A little bit of black showed on the pad but I got the desired result. Not sure how well it shows in the pictures below. Original is on the left, in very similar lighting.
Interesting idea. I've been meaning to wear my DD J-100 down to the ocean and roll around on the sand , sit on it, use it for a beach blanket. Might speed up some of that natural wear.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Interesting idea. I've been meaning to wear my DD J-100 down to the ocean and roll around on the sand , sit on it, use it for a beach blanket. Might speed up some of that natural wear.

Well, I wouldn't want to mix leather with salt...

I don't have any photos here, but my DD J-100 with the original Horween hide looks way more matt than the current Shinki hide. So far so good though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21