Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

another haircut inquiry

wowandflutter

New in Town
hi ladies !

i'm getting really tired of my current hairdo, which is a
chin-length bob that i wave regularly. i want to try out
a perm because i've never done anything interesting to
my hair & have always coveted curls (my mom has
amazing curly hair that i didn't receive the genes for!).

i dont want a perm to come out really awful with super
tight small 80s curl ugliness. i have read that it's better
to bring in a photo so the stylist has an idea of what
sort of curls you're after...

i only have one photo:

1217112755_b385bdfab8_o.jpg

& i'm looking for some more with this type of style. does
anyone have any links or tips for more photos like this ?
i would be incredibly grateful.

BillieMae

New in Town
I use this site all the time for makeup and hair ideas. I recently cut my hair to match one of the pictures I found on this site. I just printed the picture out for my Aunt (she cuts my hair) and she used it as a reference. It might take some digging to find the right style for you, but it is worth it in the long run! Plus, the women on this site are beautiful and serve as great style inspiration anytime.:)

http://www.silentladies.com/Ladies.html

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Perm rods are standard. Each color means a certain size. If you want waves, tell her you want the orange rods. If you want a loose curl, tell her you want purple rods.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi Flutter~
Like Kami said, perm rods only come in certain sizes and will only make certain kinds of curls and patterns.

If you were to bring me that photo, I would probably perm your hair with peach and orange rods, alternating them.. and mostly peach on top. I'd use an acid wave such as Biolage.
I always ask my clients who I've never permed before if they would rather their hair turn out more curly or less curly than they anticipate. If you're really scared, go all orange. If you don't mind it being a tad more curly at first and you want it to last, add in the peach.
When I did perms in the 80's and 90's we used white and grey rods usually.. very small!

All this depends on how many layers you have, and your hair type, and weather or not you have color or any other chemicals in the hair. If you have the right hair type, I could perm your hair to look spot on for the pic you posted. Keep in mind too, that dark hair just looks different curled than gold and blond.. it just does. I doubt it will look so "airy", know what I mean?

She's layered in the pic, thus her curls are more fluffed on top and loose, and where her hair is a tad longer at the sides it's a bit more curly.

In my experience, the top never takes as curly as the rest. This is normaly true for natural curl as well.
Best wishes!
Nikki

wowandflutter

New in Town
thanks billiemae & texasgirl for those links to SO many great pictures....

& kamikat & ohairas, thank you so much for the info about perming rods. i had no idea it was standardized like that. i am going to investigate further & really look for someone who would specialize in perms.

i am also thinking that it might be good to try pin-curling & styling my hair first to get some idea of what it will look like. i'll get back to you ladies after i do some experimenting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24