Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another neat movie jacket

Bammerman

New in Town
This weekend I watched A Place in the Sun, a great movie (murder or accidental drowning? based on Dreiser's An American Tragedy) from 1951 with Montgomery Clift, Elizabeth Taylor, Shelley Winters, Raymond Burr (!) et al. Clift's character, George Eastman, is wearing a terrific leather jacket in much of the movie - at first I thought A2, but then it looked more like a motorcycle jacket (side vents, and short in the body) but it has some kind of circle design on the left breast that might have been a squadron patch of some kind (it's really hard to see). Anyway, I recommend the movie, and if you do watch it, let me know about that jacket. Looks good on Clift!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Montgomery Clift's Mystery Jacket...

Looks like a motorcycle jacket with no belt. Seems to be a little longer in the back. The imprint on the front left chest area looks like its got two holes to accept a round badge of some sort. Taken all together, it looks like an old Motorcycle Police Jacket.
Tried to get a screen grab but couldn't get a real clear one.

green papaya

One Too Many
yes, it may have been a motorcycle cop's jacket? the movie came out in 1951 so it would have been an early style

raymondburr12.jpg

here's a rear view of the jacket, it looks more like a motorcycle jacket than an aviator's?

nightandthecity

Practically Family
It's years since I saw that film. I seem to remember it looked like a civilian A-2 copy, but your picture has altered that idea. One thing I do remember is that in the opening sequence he stands in the jacket under a billboard which proudly proclaims "IT'S AN EASTMAN" !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt