Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another new peacoat. I think I have a problem.

jwedgeworth

New in Town
Found another deal on a WW2 peacoat that I just couldn't pass up. I'm starting to amass a small "collection" of these things. I'm afraid my wife is going to set up an intervention soon. Well, here it is. I hope I did the pictures right.
001_zpsbei8rupa.jpg

002_zpsiaoq5rdx.jpg

003_zpssixjxtub.jpg

004_zpssppjp5t9.jpg

005_zpshszrjff0.jpg

006_zpszvnbyosj.jpg

007_zpshv87or8n.jpg

008_zpsgtmwjag9.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Another nice one. Don't worry about a problem until you have maybe ten of them. I am down to 15, after my wife said no more. That was about eight years ago, so I started on high end leather jackets. Now our closet space is more than maxed out.

Worry not you have a ways to go yet.

And, welcome to the Lounge.

Last edited:

jwedgeworth

New in Town
Another nice one. Don't worry about a problem until you have maybe ten of them. I am down to 15, after my wife said no more. That was about eight years ago, so I started on high end leather jackets. Now our closet space is more than maxed out.

Thanks, Peacoat. I'm only up to 5 so far, but I can't seem to resist the urge to buy when I see a nice one. I think I'm going to have to limit myself and stop buying the six button coats since they're still pretty common in decent shape. I'm going to start saving up for a nice WW1 example. I know they're expensive, but I need one in my collection. By the way, thanks for taking the time to do the thread on peacoat dating. I've learned a lot from it since it's really the only source of information I've found on vintage peacoats.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Don't become obsessed with these things... get a really good example of each 'period' and stop there. Don't waste money on having a huge collection of identical coats, unless of course you have lots of money to spend (in which case there are a lot of charities that need $$$). I have examples of USAF nomex flyers jackets of each type and period; they're cheap so I could keep buying them, but what would be the point of collecting more since they'd just be duplicates of what I already have? If you must keep collecting, then collect a different type of jacket such as deck jackets and bridge coats, which would keep the USN theme going.

leafandarrow

New in Town
Thanks, Peacoat. I'm only up to 5 so far, but I can't seem to resist the urge to buy when I see a nice one. I think I'm going to have to limit myself and stop buying the six button coats since they're still pretty common in decent shape. I'm going to start saving up for a nice WW1 example. I know they're expensive, but I need one in my collection. By the way, thanks for taking the time to do the thread on peacoat dating. I've learned a lot from it since it's really the only source of information I've found on vintage peacoats.

Nice! it never hurts to have a good selection for strong rotation. I have 3, all from the early 60s, 2 officer, 1 normal, that I wear over work clothing for the long Vermont winters. If I didn't rotate 3, I'd have already worn through 1 and ruined it with daily use.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

I was about to write "if you think you have a problem, remember that peacoat probably has many more than you do!"

And i agree with Dr Damage, no point having many copies of the same coat, just get a nice 10 button one, a nice 8 button one and you are good to go.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with DD and Carlos above, but it is always nice to have a spare for each of your coats. They have a tendency to grow legs and walk away when you take them off in public places.

jwedgeworth

New in Town
The only coat I'm really interested in now is a WW1 example. I already have three of the eight button coats, a '49, a '62 and one from sometime after '62, which is plenty of the eight button models. I have two of the ten button models in case something happens to one, I have a backup ready and waiting. I'm not saying if I find another ten button in good shape for a deal I won't buy it, but I'm really trying to hold out for one with the flap pockets.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars

I got a little carried away with the peacoats. I now have 2 black Meltons, and 8 dark blue Kerseys. One reason was that my size is a bit rare - 46 or 46L(Long). I have my "wool" closet all filled up so there is no more room for woolens. I have one WWII and the rest are from '51-'69. " I fought off the urge with a few beers and have since recovered". I love those rascals though. I think my favorite years are '49 (of which I have none) and '58. I'm not too crazy about the WWIs though with the two sets of front pockets. WWIs are VERY rare.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I have found one in good condition, and in my size. I just have to convince my wife to let me buy it. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. They are asking around $1500 for it.

"SPEW" Man you DO got it bad! Good luck with that! Getting it in the house I mean! And with you living in the deep, DEEP South... when you gonna wear the darn things? Or are they just for lookin'?

Worf

jwedgeworth

New in Town
"SPEW" Man you DO got it bad! Good luck with that! Getting it in the house I mean! And with you living in the deep, DEEP South... when you gonna wear the darn things? Or are they just for lookin'?

Worf

It gets cold enough for them from about December - mid February. If I manage to get the WW1 there's no way I would wear it. That one will just be to look at. The rest, I wear.

Peacoat

Bartender
Worf: Mississippi is a long state, from north to south. The northern part is frequently below freezing, and sometimes a lot more. The southern part, not so much. So, it all depends on where in the state he is located.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the information gents... seriously I didn't know. Good luck with the Pea coat. I can sympathize.... I've bass guitars that are too rare to play... '68 Fender Jazz and '68 Gibson Recording Bass.

Worf

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the information gents... seriously I didn't know. Good luck with the Pea coat. I can sympathize.... I've bass guitars that are too rare to play... '68 Fender Jazz and '68 Gibson Recording Bass.

Worf

I have a '65 P bass, a '77 Music Man Stingray bass, and a '59 Fender Jazzmaster guitar, and a small collection of pea coats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80