Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another reason to wear natural fibers - formaldehyde!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I regard that as of interest mostly to those who are sensitive to formaldehyde. As the author notes, it's present in stuff throughout the house, and laundering reduces the issue even in no-wrinkle shirts.

I'm among those who like a starched cotton shirt, but the no-wrinkle blends have a place in my closet as well. IMO not something for most of us to be concerned about. OTOH, those who are sensitive to formaldehyde would indeed be interested to read this.

Pompidou

One Too Many
If I didn't have to iron my "no iron" dress shirt, anyway, I wouldn't care about formaldehyde, but, when ironing is still a common denominator, and the only choice is between formaldehyde or no formaldehyde, the choice is clear.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, actually dissectors are subjected to amounts about 600 millions higher than those found in furniture, shirts, the works. Still, they don't have cancer significantly more often than other people and they do get old.

Foofoogal

Banned
Well, I saw this on TV and about fainted. I do wash new clothes but who washes new kitchen towels first or things like sweaters?

With a new grandson I am having fits trying to find Christmas presents that I don't think have lead or some of this nasty who knows what in it. Going to more handmade items that I know who produced them. It is hard though.
I don't want him to be glowing in a few years. Pitiful IMHO.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/233417/should_you_wash_new_clothes_they_could.html

no regulation whatsoever on this stuff.

Last edited:

JimWagner

Practically Family
Various odd things have stuck with me over the years, like (from Navy boot camp) "Until it's been washed, it's dirty."

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, actually dissectors are subjected to amounts about 600 millions higher than those found in furniture, shirts, the works. Still, they don't have cancer significantly more often than other people and they do get old.

Some of this may be due to the fact that they know the safe handling procedures for the chemicals and wear protective clothing (gloves) etc. At least when I did dissection in college (this was 10 years ago) we were made to wear gloves and lab coats, both of which were disposed of or left in the lab and laundered between uses. We also had to wash up after removing these. I would imagine that any one who treated these animals (prepared them) had some of the same procedures, just out of practicality- formaldehyde is hard/ drying on your hands.

Another bonus for natural materials: if you are in a plane crash (or major fire of any type) they say natural materials are less likely to "melt" into your skin than synthetics. Although burns at that point may be the least of your worries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21