Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anti-hat article | The Guardian UK

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And here I didn't even know that I was transgressing! That goodness for columnists whose guidance can help me avoid fashion pitfalls. But now I'm worried to go outside in anything that I personally may have chosen, given that I could have committed such a major error as wearing fedoras. Could you get me the columnist's e-mail address, so that I can get a quick list of approved items that pass muster with him? I would feel very bad if I made another faux pas. And if he doesn't have a list, maybe he can just quickly sketch out for me the fashion principles that should guide my dress. If we didn't have guys like that, who knows what awkwardness we may blunder into in the future?

Whatever. Hadley Freeman's a cretin, with no journalistic credibility, whatever her views on hats. (just take a glance through the rest of the shite she manages to churn out for The Guardian.) I'm not quite sure what her credentials are for writing a column on fashion, but she's certainly better than Alexis Petridis who was given the role most recently (the man's a dubiously credentialled music journalist, for Christ's sake). Maybe daddy knows someone, like the vast majority of the seemingly endless stream of young female middle class interns and wannabes who are given room to spout on the Guardian website.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I can't believe she wrote: "berets fail to fulfil the most basic hat function: namely, to keep one's head warm." That is utter nonsense. Anyone who has ever worn a beret would tell you that a thick covering of felt keeps the head warm. I suppose all those continental Alpine regiments who wear berets simply wear them for fashion reasons, rather than to stay warm?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
No, I'm talking about mannered hats, fussy hats, look-at-me hats. Things like boaters and fedoras and, yes, berets; hats that basically scream: "Look at me! Look at me! I wish I lived in another centuryyyyyy! Wheeee!!" Yeah, those hats! For special occasions, fine. But on a casual daily basis? No. Seriously, have you seen Johnny Depp recently? I repeat, no.

If I wanted a "Look at Me" hat, I would've searched for one of those ones from the Edwardian era with a dead bird on top.

This crazy lady has no idea about hats.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Exactly.
I get more tired and less patient every day of "fashion bullying," but I believe I can overlook this article since the writing skills alone, regardless of content, are reminiscent of those of a seven year old.
One has a right to live aesthetically as one pleases.

RBH

Bartender
She is getting what she was after.
Many 'clicks' to her post.
Yes I was one of them.....but I really knew better.
bat.gif

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, this is really shameful on part of the Guardian. I usually trust them, and other UK outlets, over American trash. Too bad they seem to be going the way of US news with half-baked articles like this.

She is getting what she was after.
Many 'clicks' to her post.
Yes I was one of them.....but I really knew better.
bat.gif

Indeed. Rhetorical bomb-throwers throw rhetorical bombs because it gets them an audience. The more we rail against this or that blowhard the more we give said blowhard exactly what he or she is after.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
As the kids say these days "haters gonna hate."

I'm quite alright with my sense of fashion, and my sense of fashion includes fedoras. I have priorities other than appeasing a Guardian columnist.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
Wow. I never thought one persons opinion could hold so much sway. She points it out herself - she's a FASHION columnist, not a Pulitzer prize winning writer. She's paid to muck about in the world of fashion and stir up enough controversy to sell papers/magazines.

That said, I myself am not a big fan of berets and boaters (at least not for me), but that's a personal opinion and is worth the price paid for it.

I think we can be tolerant of differing opinions or at least chalk it up to who or what she is.

Cliff

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Complete trash.

Or, opinions are like bottom quarters. We all have them and they all stink. Some stink worse than others. Ms. Freeman's, being pointless, stinks even more.

Last edited:

-30-

A-List Customer
"But as one matures, like a fine wine or maybe just an old leather bag, one finds one's views being revised
through the simple experience of that crazy ol' thing called life."
QUOTE.

This "fashion columnist" was brain dead at 16 years.

BTW, The Guardian is not a "newspaper"; it is a Rag.

Regards,
-30-

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Just to add fuel to the fire there are times when one must agree with Ms.Freeman the only time I can think of would be when a gent's hat doesn't fit him ie;to large or worse yet to small.I have a brother who wears a really bad leather cowboy type hat that has got to be at least 1 and a half sizes to small for him, not a very pretty sight.I can't wait till he makes it out my way I'm going to take him to the local western shop and get him a hat that at least fits him even if it won't be top of the line.From the looks of Ms. Freemans hair maybe she should consider a nice beret....(haha)

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Oh dear ... more drivel from that paper, it is getting worse by the week.

One thing comes to mind:
Fashion can be bought. Style one must posses. - Edna Woolman Chase

I dress to please myself, not others. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner