Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Cigar Afficionados Out There?

Sergei

Gone Home
Yeah, the tupperware trick is really good. I still have two big tubs - somewhere. But I have a smaller size that is rectangular - about 2" deep by 10 inches long. I use that for traveling and camping. The cedar strips are the way to go. Also make sure to supply some moisture like a damp sponge in a baggie.

Next on the scale before really splurging on big wooden humidors, was that I used coolers. I would throw my boxes in the cooler, and made sure there was a propylene glycol soaked sponge in a baggie to ensure proper humidification. BTW, propylene glycol is easily acquired from a pharmacy.

Later I have bought some huge humidors. A proper humidor made out of Spanish Cedar - not American(too aromatic) or South American cedar (sappy). Long term storage in Spanish Cedar really enhances the flavor.

Fuente

Familiar Face
Hemingways

The Cameroon wrapper makes this and the Fuente Don Carlos amongst my favorites.

The Hemingway Maduros usaully released for the Holidays each year are great smokes as well.

Sizes available include the Short Story, Best Seller, Work of Art, Between the Lines (double wrapped as a barber pole look) Signature, Classic and Untold Story.

Think I'll smoke one this evening and I'm sure the lovely Mrs Fuente will join me for a Hemingway while we walk the puppy this evening.

The puppy is Maximux of Diamond Crown (another fine cigar rolled by the Fuente's in the DR) Max is just over a year old and stands 35 inches at the shoulder and weighs in at about 110lbs.

Rich

Psykik

New in Town
Ahhh...

three large humidors full!

Unfortunately, my time is not my own since the birth of my two year old, so smoke time is not what it used to be. I don't smoke indoors and generally enjoyed a smoke on the deck after work when the NY weather allowed.

I don't/can't smoke at work, won't smoke indoors, won't abandon my daughter in the house while I sit outside for a smoke, and my commute to work is seven miles.

I'll get to my aging cigars, just not as soon as I would like.

I'm not complaining though, since my daughter is quite a blessing!

Be well,
Rob

Havana

One of the Regulars
Smoking cigars is my passion. I love the flavor, the smoke, the feeling. I like large ring, handmade, dark cigars. I smoke at least one a day. There's no brand I won't try as long as it's 100% tobacco and of good quality. I try to be considerate of others and don't smoke indoors or in public unless it's in a park or open space. I've been smoking cigars for 14 years now. I started just before the 90's cigar boom and am glad to see that the many lemmings and posers of the boom years moved on to other fads. For me, smoking a cigar is just a pure and classic expression of being a man. I can't see it as a vice. A lovely lady once told me that smoke is my mileu. Whatever that means.

Sergei

Gone Home
Amen brother. I always strive to be considerate of others. No matter how hard I try, once in awhile there is someone that comes out of no where and starts to complain. I don't even argue and wonder off, shaking my head.

Same sentiments as well as the cigar boom being over. I've been smoking since the mid-70's. So I'm glad that supply and prices are back to near normal levels. But living in California, I was sad to see a lot of the Mom&Pop cigar shops close due to the high taxes imposed by the great Rob Reiner. So that just means JR gets most of my business now.

-S

Havana said:
Smoking cigars is my passion. I love the flavor, the smoke, the feeling. I like large ring, handmade, dark cigars. I smoke at least one a day. There's no brand I won't try as long as it's 100% tobacco and of good quality. I try to be considerate of others and don't smoke indoors or in public unless it's in a park or open space. I've been smoking cigars for 14 years now. I started just before the 90's cigar boom and am glad to see that the many lemmings and posers of the boom years moved on to other fads. For me, smoking a cigar is just a pure and classic expression of being a man. I can't see it as a vice. A lovely lady once told me that smoke is my mileu. Whatever that means.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I picked up a few of the "Pelican" style hard cases with the o-ring seal for free. They were tossing them out at work!

Add some foam rubber for seperation and you have a great method of storing and transporting your cigars. Non-transparent and airtight. I got a large one with a manual air release valve to replace my Tupperware container and a smaller version for travel. It even has dual lock ears for padlocks. Just need to find where I put that pre-grooved foam rubber.....

Fuente

Familiar Face
Humidity advice

Those of you that use a pelican and or tupperdor. Open them on a regular basis to allow some circulation of fresh air. The easiest way to maintain 70% humidity in one of these sealed units is with a Humidipack. They are used to maintain humidity in every box of Fuente cigars that are shipped. They are 2 way control adding or removing moisture as needed. They may be purchased seperately in a sealed bag at most tobacconists. The company is soon releasing humidipacks made expressly for humidors. You can see them at www.bovedadirect.com

Rich :cool2:

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
I was curious, as I have gathered from hanging around, that several others here are cigar smokers. I was curious what you fancy. I myself prefer the Ashton VSG, and CAO made a killer, nice, full bodied smoke for the Sporanos which was a limited edition that I would love to find again. Anyway, I thought it would be cool to know what cigars you favor, and how you like them. Example:

Cigar Favorites: Ashton VSG, CAO Sopranos.

Taste level(light, medium, full): Full bodied.

Ring gauge(this is the width- lets make it easy, sm, med, l, xl): I prefer a larger cigar, but not one so big you cant get a few words out while smoking.

Length(simple, without going into maduro, churchill, etc. lets use small medium and soforth): I like a good length, stopping just short of being an xl.

Just covering the simple bases. wanted to see if anyone would share. Thanks fellas.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Easy

I like a Padron 2000 (5X50)
La Gloria Cubana Wavell (5X50)
El Rico Habano Corona Suprema (6X50)

(all English Market or Natural wrappers)

I have some Cuban Montecristo #2 and a couple of Davidoff's aging in the humidor for a special occasion.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Excellent topic, Mr. Maltby!

I prefer a mild to medium smoke, in a medium size (46 to 50 ring gauge) and length (6-7"). While Macanudos are one of my favorites, I have been opting for a less expensive Macanudo style cigar - 5 Vegas and 5 Vegas Gold, which is every bit as tasty. Once in a blue moon, I will buy a box of Romeo y Juliettas just to change it up a bit.

ortega76

Practically Family
CAO Moontrance and Eileen's Dream Petite Coronas. Short, sweet, flavorful smoke that's nice after lunch.

CAO Gondolla (from the Italia line). I have a few left in my humidor that I love to break out after a big, full dinner with a great bottle of wine.

Cigar.com Cuban Label Torpedo. My "day-to-day" cigar. At $50 a box and a taste that's a bit spicy it's not too bad.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
My usual smoke is the Jose Piedra conservas, which are decent cigars for the price, medium bordering on full flavour but with real varience in quality from pack to pack.

At the beginning of the summer I usually buy a box of Rome y Julieta Cazadores. These are full flavoured, quite strong to my girly palette, they smoke s l o w.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I still have cuban cigars in my humidor from my trip to Cuba last christmas!
Cohiba (robusto) and Monte Christo (pyramid):) :) :) :)
Besides that I enjoy Avo (Dom.rep.) now and again.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
I'm also a A. Fuente smoker. However, the best smoke I ever had was an H. Uppmann Millenium, which I enjoyed in Los Angeles about 5-6 years ago. Give me a good cigar, a fine single-malt Scotch, and some good jazz on the stereo, and I'm a happy man.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I prefer a milder smoke, so I tend to stick with Macanudos (Portofinos, Crystals and Gold Labels when I can find them) and Ashton 8-9-8s. I recently tried a Diamond Crown which I found quite agreeable and have just stocked up on a few AVOs and Griffins. I hope to try a couple of these over the long weekend! ;)

(BTW...Welcome GeniusInTheLamp! Always nice to see another Illinoisian in the Lounge!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails