Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any experience with Orvis leather jackets?

BobJ

Practically Family
I have tried on several Orvis jackets and was unable to keep any of them - they are cut to fit the obese. They get their jackets from a variety of different makers and quality varies. If you really like the looks of that bison one, order it, try it on, and inspect the quality. It's only the cost of postage. Good luck!

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I know the jacket you mean. Like other Orvis leathers it's essentially a high end mall-jacket (I don't mean disrespect) in a pre-aged hide with not especially well borrowed styling from the mid 20th century. Unless it's discounted I'd say perhaps not and get something by a more recognised leather crafts house. This site tends to celebrate more artisan produced leathers.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I've got the Bandera Jacket from about 2.5 years back (not the current version, which is now more than twice the price of mine here in the UK) and it's great for what I wanted it for - a slightly more formal sport jacket style to wear for work. Not the best leather ever, but not bad, and it's very robust, and does the job.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd have to agree with bobj and Seb. The couple of things, including a leather jacket, that I got from them have been disappointments. I wear a 38-39, but their jacket (the smallest they offer) was huge on me and the lambskin was crap. Their market is overweight old guys with more money than taste.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
1. Yes, their sizes are very generous. I mail ordered some stuff in Medium and I'd say it fitted me extra-large (or more).

2. Because of #1, Orvis sends me catalogs so I see their jackets. My opinion: a lot of money for what you're getting. Too bad you're on the East Coast; but even if you are, I recommend my terribly good friends at Johnson Leathers. End of story.

Last edited:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
A friend of mine bought a leather A-2 from them a few years ago. After he got and we looked at it, we both agreed it was crap, he sent it back. Echoing what others have already said-too much money for what you get. I like some of their other stuff though, just not their leather jackets.

fedoralover

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Yeah, Orvis sizing is a bit weird. Problem is I'm a "50L"... their XXL has a 54-56 chest in some jackets, a 50-52 in some... and the sleeves are 3/4 :mad:
As to their pricing, I go to Orvis.com the price is $479 and Orvis.co.uk and its something like £459 [huh] I'm looking at their stuff pre-owned as I'm not that convinced of if its worth it always, I'd probably get something tailored by Magnoli with the same price Orvis is asking...

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, Orvis sizing is a bit weird. Problem is I'm a "50L"... their XXL has a 54-56 chest in some jackets, a 50-52 in some... and the sleeves are 3/4 :mad:
As to their pricing, I go to Orvis.com the price is $479 and Orvis.co.uk and its something like £459 [huh] I'm looking at their stuff pre-owned as I'm not that convinced of if its worth it always, I'd probably get something tailored by Magnoli with the same price Orvis is asking...

That's rip-off Britain for you! Back when the pound was stronger against the dollar, I used to order things from the US rather than the UK because they were still markedly cheaper - sometimes by as much as 50% - even after shipping and being gouged for taxes. This did suggest to me that, while I'd expect something made in the US to cost a bit more in the UK than in the US, there was a serious markup hidden in the UK retail pricing... FWIW, this also happens with the likes of the GAP (typically, UK pricies will be the same number is on the US labels, but it's in pounds sterling instead of USD...).... for products made in Malaysia, China, India.... where there isn't the excuse that of course things can be sold more cheaply local to where they are manufactured....

trapp

Practically Family
Generally speaking, and there may be exceptions, the jackets they carry tend to be poorly cut. You can expect an Orvis leather jacket to fit like a tent. Many have low arm-holes with lots of extra underarm leather that, on the few occasions I've tried one on at my local Orvis, made me feel like a flying squirrel.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have purchased 8 Orvis jackets on Ebay ... as follows :

Nubuck Field Jacket (made in China mid 2000's) ... really nice well made jacket ( Marked Medium fitted like a UK L-XL)

Suede Chore Jacket ( Made in Vietnam mid 2000's) ... again well made unlined jacket but HUGE marked Medium fitted XL

2 x "Presidents" Suede Blazer ( made in China) ... awful quality the reason I bought 2 is I believed the first one was a ringer .. .wrong marked 42 ... fitted like a 46S

Leather M65 jacket ( early 2000's) ( made in China) .... utter crap, split lambskin of really poor quality HUGE fit marked large and 52" chest !!!

2 x Banderra jackets ( mid 2000's) ( made in Indonesia) ... these were reasonable quality strange squarish fit and really broad shoulders a bit 80's

1 x nubuck waistcoat ( made in China) ... no idea of age but really nice steer nubuck and great quality ... marked M but fitted like a UK 42S.

overall :

HUGE cut ( and for me to say this then they must be genuinely huge)
Hit and miss quality wise
Massive proce but equally massive depreciation ( I have never paid over £100 fr a second hand Orvis leather jacket)
The fact I don't have any in my collection is an indication of my view of them ....

There are much better makers out there in this price range... playing on the brand and overpriced new ... quality on a par with Wilsons IMHO. It's about 30-40% away from Aero, Eastman and 20% above Alexanders, BK, Johnsons etc ...... these offer much better value IMHO.

Sorry if this is a bit negative ... just being honest.

LouisBailie

Banned
On occasion Orvis has Vanson lablel jackets for them. Last time it was the Ike Model (2006-2007) in horsehide that goes for 2Xs what they sold for when new.

Watch and see when Orvis orders from Vanson again, then get a great jacket in heavy weight leather, sized for riders, made like a tank, and that will last a lifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy