Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any idea what the hat weave is?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
This is a Borsalino Optimo. On their site it says Montecristi but according to a local salesperson this is not a Montecristi. It looks quite different too. Very fine and light and different from a Montecristi weave. They have higher priced hats in Montecristi and these are clearly different.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 187

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
This is a Borsalino Optimo. On their site it says Montecristi but according to a local salesperson this is not a Montecristi. It looks quite different too. Very fine and light and different from a Montecristi weave. They have higher priced hats in Montecristi and these are clearly different.

Another picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 161
It looks like a modern Montecristi to me. The contemporary hats when photographed with light behind emphasize the chevron crossing in the vueltas and appear more transparent than the vintage examples that I have handled. Here is one from the 1950s - not backlit.

eric_optimo2.jpg

Glad to have you weigh in here, Alan. I was wondering the same, but lacked the confidence to post my thoughts... Thanks!

What do you think, Peter?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Many thanks. I notice the above hat is also sold with a wooden box in some markets labelled `manufacturas montecristi manabi` so you must be correct, thanks.

But you will note the weave is almost too uniform for a 400 WSPI hat, and quite light. Maybe Borsalino have their own source of weavers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR