Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Info on This Odd Knox Low Topper?

HatsEnough

Banned
Silk? It is hairy, though. Definite long hair. I can actually grab the hair and pull it away from the knap (not pulling it out of the hat, tho, lol) I assumed it was beaver. I am thoroughly unfamiliar with toppers and their construction, though.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That type of sweatband is very characteristic in Equestrian hats. I know that there has been a few examples of this type of hat posted here on the lounge, I just can't find the threads where there was some talk about them. I believe they are a form of riding hat even though they are not stiff. Possibly not so much riding but presentation? The material is silk, not beaver and I believe the hat dates to around the turn of the century. Maybe not 1890's, but certainly pre-1920.

Heres a picture of my 1930's Stetson Equestrian Derby with the same kind of fabric band with a tightening string.
DSC04772.jpg

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
Very... tho maybe someone added all the three ribbons later? Or perhaps it was a style for ladies in the general public for a short time in the early 1900s?

It is an interesting piece, anyway. Goes well with some of my more offbeat hats.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
But that's a heck of a ribbon/bow treatment on yours, HE!

Lefty, thanks for posting the link to that old thread. Sadly, the phone number I found for the store my (wife's) hat came from is not in service. I've found two addresses for it with the one phone number. I'm not sure when they went out of business. I may try sending a note to the address in hopes it gets forwarded to the former owner.

Regards,
Tom

HatsEnough

Banned
The three ribbons is what made me feel it might be a women's hat. Anyway, I think it is a really cool, interesting hat. I'll hang onto it for a while.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
These were ladies' hats, referred to in retail advertisements and industry literature as Silk Sailors. They first seemed to appear in 1892, but their most popular years, judging from the number of newspaper advertisements, were 1914 to 1921.

This ad is from 1910.

Knox Silk Sailors.jpg

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Reposted here for future searches:

These were ladies' hats, referred to in retail advertisements and industry literature as Silk Sailors. They first seemed to appear in 1892, but their most popular years, judging from the number of newspaper advertisements, were 1914 to 1921.

This ad is from 1910.

Knox Silk Sailors.jpg

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy