Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any of you guys cut your own hair?

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I've been cutting my own hair for over a year now. The hard part is fading and tapering the back part. Does anyone here at the lounge do the same? Any pics?

Edward

Bartender
When I went back to a buzzcut, one number all over, I bought my own clippers and did it myself. Nowadays, I just shave it completely (have done for nearly five years). I don't think I've paid for a haircut since about 2003.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Wahl buzzer user here. Got buzzed the first time in 1995. Went out and bought one for myself shortly after that. I do my whole head weekly with it with no attachments, and then the sides with my Norelco triple header down to the skin. As it grows in it resembles a fade.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Wahl buzzer user here. Got buzzed the first time in 1995. Went out and bought one for myself shortly after that. I do my whole head weekly with it with no attachments, and then the sides with my Norelco triple header down to the skin. As it grows in it resembles a fade.
Nice! I use a Wahl too. A friend of mine that was a barber told me they were the best. I think I get better all the time; at least my wife tells me so.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
From 1982 to 1997 I was getting a hair cut weekly (military thing). In 1997 my hair loss got to the point where the high and tight I was getting was just tight so I picked up a pair of clippers and starting doing a buzz cut myself - About 7 years ago I started shaving my head and will likely do so until I can't hold a razor any more.

Funny thing is my mother has asked me a number of times if I would like to try rogain and my response is why? so I can buzz it all off anyway?

ukali1066

Practically Family
I have for years, Wahl clipper with various attachment lengths is all I need....but I do have mine short and messy...so it's easy for me

No.8 on the back and sides, and No.8 ran over my fingers for the top

Saves money !

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Barbers have a tough time making my hair look presentable, as pin strait hair shows every imperfection of a cut. I shudder to think of what it would look like if I tried anything myself. Well, anything more than just buzzed short all over, but I have a funny shaped head, so that would look weird too.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Here are some pics of my own haircuts. I did this around 5 days ago. Let me know what you guys think. Did I do a decent job?
DSC03196.jpg

DSC03193.jpg

DSC03194.jpg

DSC03195.jpg

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Yes, since 1998. With a Wahl clipper and various attachment lengths. Went to a barber once since and didn't like the results.

mattfink

Practically Family
I cut my own hair occasionally and I have the same problem with the weight line in the back. It's really hard to do on your own head. The rest looks really good. You've got a slew of barbers in your area that can help you out...tough here in Detroit finding a decent one.

Here are some pics of my own haircuts. I did this around 5 days ago. Let me know what you guys think. Did I do a decent job?
DSC03196.jpg

DSC03193.jpg

DSC03194.jpg

DSC03195.jpg

andy richards

Practically Family
Since 1983, when I was enlisted in the army, I cut my own hear using an electric beard-trimmer. Best results after drinking one bottle of beer! ;)
Andy

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yes. If you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself. Hardest part is the back of course,but with 2 or 3 mirrors it's a bit easier. Start out CAREFULLY. Use the longest attachment for a given area first, then work down to shorter lengths if need be. Then I use scissors to blend it into a long top. I made the mistake of using the side taper attachments once. ONCE! I didn't know it went from an eighth of an inch,to about a quarter. Thought it should have been a bit more subtle.:eek: But it grows back.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Excellent job Johnny! Looks real good from all angles, good fade. I've been cutting my own since high school, pretty short at the sides and back, bit longer on top. Lots of crew cuts in between when you mess it up!!!! Last two years been lettin it go real long on top and a bit longer on the sides, definately harder to transition and do myself. I let my wife help...ONCE!! Trying to teach my 14 year old daughter to help out with the tough spots but sometimes you just gotta head out to the barber shop for a fix!
Here is my cut right now.
img2505z.jpg

img2506xe.jpg

img2508c.jpg

And this is what I have to start with each morning!!!!
img2573a.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm reminded me of that old line, any lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. However you guys seem to put the lie to that. The few times, many years ago, that I tried to trim my own hair, it came out awful. Nice job, gentlemen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW