Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Other Conscientious Objectors.....To New Years Eve

Pompidou

One Too Many
I have no problems with New Year's Eve, such as it is, but I do have a problem with the way that most of my peers celebrate it (or celebrate anything for that matter), that is, by getting roaring drunk and such. Nothing against alcohol, but it hardly seems worthy of the attention and place of high importance it is generally given.

Also, why in the world is it in the middle of winter (or the middle of summer for our members in the wrong hemisphere)? It seems like a very random time to have the beginning of the year. Why not April?

I googled your question and found this on wikipedia:
"According to the Christian tradition, 1 January is the day of the circumcision of Christ (on the eighth day of his birth), when the name of Jesus was given to him (Luke 2: 21). Since then, 1 January has been the first day of the year, except during the Middle Ages when several other days were the first (1 March, 25 March, Easter, 1 September, 25 December)."

Take it as you will.

Edward

Bartender
I used to be a very bitter objector to NYE, but in recent times it has been both a chance to spend a night with friends (which doesn't happen enough these days), and a chance to psychologically put the past twelve months behind me, something I've been quite keen to do the last several years. It isn't any more significant than that for me - and is unlikely ever to be moreso. I've never existed outside of the academic calendar, and so my year runs September to September. September also coinciding with my birth month means that tends to be the time of year I get maudlin and try not to think about the past, rather than December / January.

Last edited:

Adcurium

A-List Customer
We LOVED NYE and spent each one in an exciting place; fireworks over Big Ben one year, the Arc de triumph another year, the French quarter, Times Square (for 1999 into 2000, and the trip that started it all...). But now that we are parents, we spent the past few at home, and in bed early. We visited my sister this year and we put our todder-daughter to bed about 9pm, and we followed shortly thereafter. Oh dear Lord. Im old AND lame. Nah...Spending the night with my wife and kid is the greatest.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
I do not boycott celebrations, but I make sure that it's MY STYLE. I am not a drinker (not for religious or moral reasons, I just don't care for it and its effects and have to be who I am, you know?) so I head where my types go--DANCE. This time was a small, old-fashioned wood-floor venue with a live 40s/50s jump band playing 'til 2:30 and the only juice I was sporting was sweating through that red dress. Yeah, people drank, but the serious dancers brought in 2011 doing what makes us feel most at one with time--past and present.

rue

I believe that how you spend New Year's Eve sets the tone for the next year. I spent it with family and very good friends. We didn't get drunk (but we drank a few drinks and had a toast), because I don't want to be hungover on the first day of a new year, I want to relish being alive for another one :)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In fact, this has been my gripe with nearly every holiday since I transitioned from child to adult. It seems everyone needs an excuse to drink. Regarding NYE, I've never really found it all that interesting. I typically stay up and watch a movie, pause it at 11:59, watch the ball drop (repeat of New York's ball dropping) and switch the movie back on. [huh]

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I have a friend with young kids (8 or 9 years of age and down). On the 31st, before the kids wake up, she changes all the clocks to be fast by 3 hours. The kids get excited about ringing in the New Year so they start their celebration with dancing and snacks then count down to midnight and at the stroke of midnight (per their clcok) they blow horns, bang pots and pans and ring in the new year in style. Except that they just rang in 9 pm. She then puts the kids to bed and she and her husband enjoy a nice quiet evening. Sooner or later, the oldest kid will catch on and the gig will be up. But until then, they are pulling one of the greatest cons a parent ever knew. Dr. Spock meets Kaiser Sozay.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't go out on New Year's Eve because I can go out any other night of the year for one-third the price.

As for drinking to the point of illness, I just don't get it.

1961MJS

Hi

I tend to boycott NYE. I did go to a party last year (2010) and was at home with my parents (91 and 78) this year watching a Marx Brothers movie festival on Turner's classic movies. I have no problems with going out and drinking, but I refuse to do it in such a way as to guarantee a loss of license and a few days in jail. My current hometown expects and subsidizes "old town", expecting you to go there for every available holiday, spend large sums of money eating and drinking, and then get arrested for Driving under the influence. They're hunting a baited field and I tend to object. I've been once in the 15 years we've lived here.

IN MY OPINION, NYE is a holiday that can never meet the visions brought forth by TV etc.

Later

In fact, this has been my gripe with nearly every holiday since I transitioned from child to adult. It seems everyone needs an excuse to drink.
Shows what wimps they are--anybody with nerves, provided it's safe for them to do so and they can do it responsibly, when they want a drink will get one just because it's what they want and don't need no steenking excuses... operative words being "Safe" and "Responsible", which all too many aren't; IMO, if you can't pass that test you have no business even looking at the bottle.

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
The good thing is, "You either get wasted or you don't celebrate NYE" is a false dichotomy. I celebrated my NYE at a bar. I had two Guinness over the span of 6 hours. There's this line with drinking that's enjoyable to get to but lousy to cross. I like taking the edge off - getting to the point where I'm relaxed and social. Aside from that, I'm largely a foodie. When I'm at a party, I'm not worried about drinking too much. I'm worried I'm going to eat all the food and someone will go without. I ration my portions more than I ration my beer.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
The past, well 10 or 11 years I haven't bothered with New Years celebrations, it's all a "who gives a crap" mentality for me. The past 3 new years I drove for a local Taxi. I enjoyed that, not because of any celebrating, but drunk people tend to tip very generously, or sometimes drop cash in between the seats. When I drove on regular evenings, tips averaged $15-20. New Years they averaged $60-100, sometimes more.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Most people don't actually go for the ill effects, it is more of an exhuberence for the party that brings on a too much too fast engagement.

I cannot wait until I am in an environment where this is true. My peers generally, instead of going to party, go to get wasted. Bah. This is why I have found a small social circle, and generally end up staying in on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and increasingly Wednesday evenings. Too many pointlessly drunk people.

Undertow

I've come to think of NYE as amateur night. For the last decade or so we've been celebrating Eve of the Eve and then keep NYE intimate and local, though well dressed........

Does anyone else subscribe.....

With St. Valentine's Day nearing, should we not extend this question to other seemingly needless, Hallmark/Budweiser holidays? (without creating an entirely new thread - if one hasn't already been created for SVD).

I suggest the following "holidays", or rather days-designed, should be eliminated altogether for lack of purpose:
1. St. Valentine's Day
2. St. Patrick's Day
3. The Super Bowl (sure, you try telling millions of raving, drunken, face-painted men this isn't a holiday)
4. Groundhog Day
5. April Fools

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but seriously, do we need one more excuse to get smashed, hang out a window and shout, "Happy [X] Day!" or "Darling, I bought this $10k necklace for {X} Day; I really hope you like it," or "Awesome, the {X}'s are winning! Let's riot!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk