Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other virus protection other than Norton and McAfee?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
My norton just ran out, and I'd like to try something different. I had a lot of pc issues and every time I'd call somebody about different things, they'd tell me it's probably my Norton. Do you think this is true or is this their answer for when they really don't know how to help you, lol!
Nikki

Jovan

Suspended
You can try out Trend Micro PC-Cillin. It's a bit oversensitive sometimes, is my only gripe. I'm currently using a trial of Windows Live OneCare and it isn't bad so far.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'll second the vote for Grisoft's AVG.

...and don't start that Mac vs. PC stuff here, the line is so blurred now that it's pointless.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hemingway Jones said:
You could just buy a Mac then you don't need one. ;)

Beat me to it. It's fun to look at virus attachments as Superman views bullets. :)

Norton is indeed well-known for being invasive and problematic, so they aren't just putting you off with an all-purpose answer. There are other alternatives out there. Good luck!

MKL

A-List Customer
ohairas, I have used both Avast and AVG. I have had good results from both. I am now running only Avast. If you are careful in what you download and with your attachments both of these free ones will work fine for you - if you want to go the free route. I used Norton for years but got tired of the problems it was giving my OS - on both my laptop and desktop. Norton works great for many, I suppose it depends on your configuration.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Grisoft AVG is very good. So is Trend Micro PCcillin.

One thing I will say about Trend Micro is that they tend to be the first to put out updates to address new threats - usually ahead or Symantec and Norton.

K

kpreed

:eek:fftopic: I do not know if I agree on the "get a Mac so you do not need it" thing. It is more like get a Mac and try to find one, I have found. I have a Mac because I found it a dangerous world for my Dell P.C. I had Grisoft AVG (free) and loved it, but when it was replacement time I went Mac. Now be sure there are viruses that can hurt Mac's out-there, just not many. At less then 1 Mac for every 10 computers it seems most virus writers just will not spend time to hurt Macs. No compliant here.

Jovan

Suspended
KittyT said:
Grisoft AVG is very good. So is Trend Micro PCcillin.

One thing I will say about Trend Micro is that they tend to be the first to put out updates to address new threats - usually ahead or Symantec and Norton.
Very true, in my experience.

S

Samsa

Hemingway Jones said:
You could just buy a Mac then you don't need one. ;)

I have a bad feeling that this is going to become less and less true the more popular Macs become.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner