Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any pianists in the Fedora Lounge?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I apologise if this is a repost; I searched and didn't see any threads about pianos in the Fedora Lounge, so I thought I'd create my own.

Does anyone here play the piano? What do you play? What's your instrument and how long have you been tickling the ivories? Do you prefer older or more modern pianos?

I've been playing the piano on-and-off since I started at the age of seven (I'm 22 now). I still play fairly regularly (at least once a week, often more) and I'm still trying to learn new songs.

I don't have any formal musical tuition (I think that's obvious in my playing!), but I stopped taking lessons when I was 18 and my piano-teacher (an amazing old woman who owns about two dozen instruments --- no exaggeration), decided to retire for good. Her piano was an amazing Richard Lipp & Sohn upright which she said she got as a birthday present or a housewarming present, several, several, several years ago. It was an antique monster. She said it was made in 1910. It stood over 5ft high and it was an absolute joy to play...partly because it had original ivory keys, and partly because the tone suited the type of music I like to play - Golden Era pop & jazz!

So pianists, what are your pianos? And what do you play on them?

en_Yamaha-C3-Grand-Piano-1610.JPG

This isn't my piano, but it's the same model. A Yamaha C3 concert grand (ours was made in 1989).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
For those who DO play:

I have an 1890's "Practice Clavier" that needs a new home. It is silent - the keys have adjustable tension to allow a serious pianist to strengthen their fingers. It's a nifty piece that I am tired of moving!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I started playing the piano three years ago after playing classical guitar for many, many years. No formal training on the piano, Just a few lessons from my great aunt when I was 10. I play a lot of Beethoven and the romantics. Chopin being my favorite. I practice for an hour 1/2 a day on a Steinway designed Essex that I purchased three years ago as well.

Dan D

Familiar Face
A foot in both camps...

I work in a university music department, where I play all the time; a classical accompanist and repetiteur with an interest in French song and contemporary Minimalism, and, when I can, play jazz as well, influences are Chick Corea and Keith Jarrett, although I'm sure it's not apparent in my playing!

I've an ancient Collard & Collard iron-frame upright that's been my workhorse instrument for as long as I can remember, and is still going strong.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I've played for the past eleven years. I play on a modern Hoffmann stand piano, a costly investment from my mother at the time but worthwhile IMO as it really is a wonderful instrument.

While I like vintage things, and I know vintage string instruments are often the best ones (such as Stradivarius) however this doesn't apply to pianos. The older, the more worn they get and the lower the quality becomes. I have evidence for this as this has been the case with every old piano I have played. With pianos I definitely prefer modern to vintage, providing they are well made and do not sound like keyboards.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
AvEdwards,

I've heard people say that before (that older pianos aren't as good as modern ones), however, if I had a choice, I think I'd definitely go for an older one. In fact when I told my piano-teacher that we were buying a new piano, she practically insisted we bought an antique. She said the tone was better, materials were better and that construction was higher quality overall, compared with how most pianos are made today.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It's true that a lot of older pianos used nicer materials. When professionally restored their sound can also be restored to what it should be and if tuned regularly (which must be done even if no one plays on it as it will be ruined otherwise). However, not all modern pianos use cheaper materials, for example our Hoffmann piano at home is as good as any stand piano, vintage or not. Then again it cost a lot more than a cheaper piano, say a Yamaha (which IMHO do not make very good non-electrical pianos).

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
I've played for the past eleven years. I play on a modern Hoffmann stand piano, a costly investment from my mother at the time but worthwhile IMO as it really is a wonderful instrument.

While I like vintage things, and I know vintage string instruments are often the best ones (such as Stradivarius) however this doesn't apply to pianos. The older, the more worn they get and the lower the quality becomes. I have evidence for this as this has been the case with every old piano I have played. With pianos I definitely prefer modern to vintage, providing they are well made and do not sound like keyboards.

There is a 1929 Mason and Hamlin in the chapel at my former school...1929 was the company's last "original" year, if memory serves. It is tuned now and again, but is in sore need of regulation and is in "good" but certainly not great condition. It is far and away the best piano I've ever played. Beautiful, mellow tone and a touch as smooth as silk.

I've also played a few modern Steinways and I found that my opinion varied wildly...as well as Bechstein and Fazioli and yada yada the usual gamut of brands. In terms of large concert instruments, I've found that old pianos are consistently better. Maybe the tendency you have observed is in middle-of-the-road pianos? I could believe that less expensive pianos age poorly...I've certainly seen a lot of those as well.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I find that a lot of modern pianos sound exactly the same and that just by listening to them, you couldn't tell one piano apart from another. In contrast, I've found that no vintage/antique piano ever sounds the same as another. It's this variety that is one of the pulling-factors in my love of older pianos. Do others find this variety of tones (or lack thereof), to be true? Or is this just me? I prefer playing pianos which are a bit more mellow, slightly muffled and softer, instead of the bright, bouncy sound that you hear on most pianos today.

Plus, older pianos come with ivory keys. And playing on ivory is a real experience. The texture of the keys is so nice to touch. Gosh I wish I could afford a piano with ivory keys, but they must be so damn expensive...

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I play a little. Took lessons when I was a kid, but haven't in a long time. I didn't play much through college, but I've started up again since. All I have is a keyboard (Alesis QS 8.1) but it's a full 88 keys with a sort-of realistic action and it sounds pretty good. Takes up less room than a piano, and it's easier to move, which makes it more appropriate for my current living situation. I did build a stand for it out of 2x4s, so it doesn't wobble all over the place like typical keyboard stands seem to.

Plus, it has lots of different sounds, like a pretty realistic Hammond organ with simulated Leslie speaker, which is fun from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner