Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody Else Collect Sewing Machines?

59Lark

Practically Family
SHANGAS; you can always break it down, pack the head in one box, pack the wooden top in one box and break the stand down, unbolting the treadles sides and packing them in stryofoam sheeting and wrapping the centre of the stand with bubble wrap and mailing in about six boxes. thats how i ship treadles. I have shipped treadles to the yukon and to arizona from Canada. 59 lark

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This beautiful Singer Model 15 belongs to my father's friend's wife. She received it as a birthday present. She's a retired tailor and this machine sits in their living-room as a strictly decorative piece.

I went to their house today for a visit. While my dad and his friend were playing on their guitars making like they're in some 1960s rock-band, me and Pam (dad's friend's wife, the tailor) chatted about the sewing-machine.

With a bottle of Singer oil, a box of tissues, tweezers and a pair of pliers, I got the machine from a frozen, jammed state, to operational condition in about two hours of work.

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

It's a prewar machine. It's from 1939 according to the serial-number.

Now that I've gotten it running, Pam says she's inspired to clean it up completely, get her husband to tack on a new drive-belt (the old one is broken and long-gone) and start treadling away on it like she did in her childhood...

If the tabletop looks a bit rough, it's because the sewing-machine was stored in a garage for several years. It's the water-damage to the wood-finish. Pam's friends owned it and when they decided they just had no use for it anymore, they dug it out and gave it to her as a present. She's never used it, but now that I fixed it for her, she wants to start using it! :)

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah. On the same day, I also found THIS antique 'Jones' treadle machine at the flea-market:

IMG_1492.jpg

I didn't buy it, but I photographed it, just for the hell of it. I think it's possibly the SMALLEST machine I've ever seen! I don't think the photograph shows just how tiny it really is!

IMG_1489.jpg

I don't have a measuring tape or anything, but I reckon that machine-arm at the top there, would struggle to be nine inches from end to end. It was really tiny! The smallest thing I've seen outside of a toy machine!

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This "MODERN" sewing machine was a gift from my aunt:

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Originally, it was a treadle-machine. The treadle was toast, so she just gave me the machine-body. I'm gonna build a base & case for it, eventually.

IMG_0021.jpg

I don't know how old it is. I suspect either 1930s, or 1950s-60s.

IMG_0014.jpg

As you can see, it is in nearly PERFECT condition.

Once I've built the housing for it, I'm gonna buy a hand-crank for it and stick it on the end.

If anyone can tell me anything about this machine, please chime in. I've no idea how old it is.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My Singer Sewing Machine in wood case.

DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

DSC_0533.jpg

DSC_0534.jpg

and it's little mate...

DSC_0536.jpg

DSC_0537.jpg

I don't know the year this Singer was made. It's non-electric , operated only by
a handcrank on the side.It's in great condition ! The small "Stitchwell" was probably
a child's sewing machine but I could be mistaken [huh]

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
You have a Singer 128 there. I have an identical one at home, complete with the crank.

There's a serial-number on the machine, under the brass "SINGER MANUFACTURING CO." badge.

Type it out here, and I'll be able to tell you how old it is. My Singer 128 dates to 1936. This is a guess, but I suspect that yours is much older. Singer 128s came out in the 1860s or 70s and were made up until the end of the 1930s, I believe.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
you have a singer 128 there. I have an identical one at home, complete with the crank.

There's a serial-number on the machine, under the brass "singer manufacturing co." badge.

Type it out here, and i'll be able to tell you how old it is. My singer 128 dates to 1936. This is a guess, but i suspect that yours is much older. Singer 128s came out in the 1860s or 70s and were made up until the end of the 1930s, i believe.

f 8404890

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Well, I don't collect sewing machines, but I have been on the look out for a nice functional one to use. Snagged this on Craigslist for free. Gonna pick it up next week.
singer_zps1cfcf018.jpg

serial_zps9a69f05f.jpg

stand_zps269bfd37.jpg

plate_zps6075f2db.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's an industrial machine, likely from a clothing factory -- note the industrial-sized spool pins. There's nothing you can't sew with one of those, and if you clean it up and give it some oil it'll outlast human civilization.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That's an industrial machine, likely from a clothing factory -- note the industrial-sized spool pins. There's nothing you can't sew with one of those, and if you clean it up and give it some oil it'll outlast human civilization.

That is why I was so excited about it. Now I just have to see if I can get it into a sedan to get it down to my house from Trenton.

Mark G

A-List Customer
Going to get a Necchi Supernova Ultra, circa early 1960's from a friend. It had been serviced about ten years ago and only had about 2 1/2 hours since. Can't wait as I've heard nothing but good things about these Italian machines.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab

So, I have been doing my research. I think I am going to drain the oil (it has an oil pan, being an industrial machine) and replace it with new sewing machine oil.

I know that the old clothing factories used to offer women a chance to buy their machines when they left. My great grandmother actually had a very similar machine that she bought from the factory when she got married and had kids, and she actually continued to work from home for some time, by special arrangement because she was one of the best they had.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Give that thing enough thread, and you could sew up the universe!!

When my grandmother ran her clothing-shop, they all used residential Singers; Model 15s or similar. Like this:

IMG_1521.jpg

When my gran closed her shop in the 80s, all the machines were given away to my aunts and cousins, or else just thrown out. An aunt of mine still has the machine that my grandmother gave her. It's a "Butterfly"; a Chinese clone of a Singer 15, made in Shanghai, I believe. It looks like this:

New_Butterfly_brand_JA2_2_Household_sewing_machine_2_drawer_table_iron_stand_set.jpg

...but it's obviously a LOT more battered. That one is brand-new.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Ugh. Craigslist is so frustrating. I was going to go pick that machine up next Friday, but got an email today saying that he had just given it to someone else. My thoughts on the matter would probably get my post deleted.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I know, and I had been scanning craigslist to find one, but this one was free, and I was excited because I had already arranged to pick it up.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Are you looking for a mechanical (handcrank/treadle) or electrical (knee/foot-power) machine? Obviously, mechanical machines have the great benefit that they're easier to look after, and with handcranks, more portable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko