Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone done business with J.L. Powell?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Look at the Newton hat, how they've got the ribbon all scrunched and wrinkled.
Absurd prices on most everything.

vintage68

Practically Family
I'm sure Fawcett lids are great, it's just that I saw this hat and additional pictures in the catalog and thought it was almost exactly what I looking for in terms of shape, color, etc.

EricH

One of the Regulars
I'm with some of the others here. At that price, consider a custom made by any of the respected hatters known to the lounge. That said, that hat looks mighty close to the classic Akubras like the Snowy River, a much better value. They may not be beaver, but my Snowy River looks just as nice with a layer of wet rime ice on a cold winters day in Minnesota.

vintage68

Practically Family
I work as a writer in advertising, and I gotta say that the copywriting in Powell's catalog just rocks. If you don't buy anything from them and appreciate good ad copy you should request to be put on their mailing list.

Brief example: "These trousers....are beautifully crafted and equally versitile––wear them while thrashing about in the woods or deleting emails from sychophants."

nulty

One of the Regulars
Zohar said:
I've never heard of them. Perhaps somebody else here has?

Maybe if anyone here is in the illuminati or maybe a Princeton club or the old skull and bones on casual dress day....

The prices are just foolish regardless of how tasty the ads are..

If anyone here has the kind of scratch to afford the goods on that site ..hats off to ya brother.....

LeeB

Familiar Face
Anyone done business with J.L. Powell

I just recently recieved one of the print catlogs from this retailer. I will agree with the previous post concerning the excellent quality of thier ad copy. But, I have made the distinct observation that any company that has an accompanying story for thier products seems to labor under the notion that it justifies exhorbitant pricing (i.e. Willis & Geiger, J. Peterman, The Territory Ahead). That is not to say that I did not appreciate the look and quality of the the products. On the other hand, I cannot justify, to myself or my wife, paying the amounts listed for these products.

The one saving grace (in my humble opinion) of the afforementioned J.L. Powell company is that it is based in Michigan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay