Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else ever "jones" for their Golden Era fix?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I've been unusually busy lately preparing to open a new business next month, so I really haven't had much time for TV, movies, Internet surfing, or The Fedora Lounge in recent weeks. What little time I have managed to set aside for TV viewing has been mostly spent with my wife, watching the shows she likes to watch. Those tend to be modern procedural crime dramas such as Criminal Minds, Bones, etc., which are shows fully immersed in present-day culture and technology.

In the midst of this, I have found myself actually "jonesing" for Golden Era content. It's like I've almost had an overdose of modern life and culture and HAVE to get back to simpler times and classic tastes. at least in my viewing and reading pleasures. The only sure cure is a recommended daily allowance of film noir and dime pulp, followed by a dose of TFL. Sometimes I just have to have it. I just have to get my fix or I feel I'll go nuts.

Maybe I have a problem.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
NO...I think it is part of missing what once was....we do that a lot around here. Just watch Perry Mason re runs, or jump on You Tube and find something with Ginger Rodgers in it....you'll be fine.

GoetzManor

Familiar Face
In the midst of this, I have found myself actually "jonesing" for Golden Era content. It's like I've almost had an overdose of modern life and culture and HAVE to get back to simpler times and classic tastes. at least in my viewing and reading pleasures. The only sure cure is a recommended daily allowance of film noir and dime pulp, followed by a dose of TFL. Sometimes I just have to have it. I just have to get my fix or I feel I'll go nuts.

I feel the same way. However, I recently found a television station called Me-TV or Memorable Entertainment Television. It's entire lineup consists of tv shows from the 60s and the occasional Stooges marathon. On Saturday nights at 10:00, the station shows classic Universal and public domain horror movies complete with a goofy host. Then, on Sunday nights at 7, they have a block called Sunday Night Noir where they show two films of the Noir persuasion and then little shorts thereafter.

If that interests you, see if your provider carries the station. It's a nice alternative now that TVLand's all but gone to hell, but I digress...

Last edited:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I feel the same way. However, I recently found a television station called Me-TV or Memorable Entertainment Television.

If that interests you, see if your provider carries the station. It's a nice alternative now that TVLand's all but gone to hell, but I digress...

I love MeTV. I used to watch it religiously when we had cable. But now that we have gone to all streaming services via ROKU (thereby dropping our monthly bill from $150 to $16) I can pretty much access just about any old film or Tv show I want, anytime I want. And if not, I have a massive collection of noir downloads and DVDs. I'm not hurting for content, just the time to watch it.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I enjoy watching old films and TV shows between the silent era up through the 1960s very much, and the 1970s and 1980s are also some of my favorite cinematic periods as well. Contrary to whatever popular opinions may be now, I think that TV was especially strong between the mid-1950s through the 1960s. Some of my favorite shows are Dragnet, I Love Lucy, Peter Gunn, Johnny Staccato, The Saint, Gilligan's Island, and Star Trek. For later decades, I'm more interested in films than television shows. It's nice to get away from more modern programming though, and go see what people would have been watching throughout the decades. I've been getting into the silent era a little bit more, lately, as well.

Problems I feel are abundant in modern television are excessively immodest behavior and profanities on those "reality" shows. Only about a decade and a half ago, it seems that they started more innocently, I think as survival shows. Many of these people don't appear to take dignity seriously, since profanity is rampant. It seems that years ago, if people knew they were to make a television appearance, they would have taken dignity (and themselves) more seriously, and put in some more effort in being respectable.

Last edited:

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
I was raised on 60s TV, but as I got a little older the 70s happened and TV was absolutely dismal by comparison. I just stopped watching anything but an occasional PBS documentary, Saturday Night Live, or a decent movie then. Most everything on TV in the 70s was just cop shows or detective shows or really lame sitcoms that I don't even remember now. I didn't start watching again until about the 90s when shows like The X Files and Star Trek, The Next Generation came on which reminded me of my old sci-fi favorites from the 60s such as The Outer Limits, and The Twilight Zone.
Nowadays it's Netflix which has a lot of the old 60s shows I originally enjoyed, if I find myself needing a "fix" of nostalgic TV.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Closest it comes to "jonesing for a Golden Era fix" for me is a need for some steam locomotive action. It's getting harder and harder to get a decent Steam Fix-- seems like we've had no mainline excursions in the Midwest for quite a while. Something about the smell of burning coal (or fuel oil), the sound of that wailing whistle, and the feeling of the earth underneath trembling as those rods pound as the engine races by.. to me, it's magic.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Another vote for ME TV here. We get it over the air also. Of course, whenever I really get a hankering for the golden era I just put my trusty Casablanca dvd in, doesn't get any better than that!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Perry Mason is on so late.... :( My husband and I love Perry but we need to get up before 8am!

We do sometimes stay up for Cheers.

We think we're going to try Netflix as all the good shows are on late and we miss them due to being early risers.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Netflix has a good stock of old shows like The Twilight Zone, Andy Griffith, and Leave it to Beaver. They all start with the first episode too, which is quite cool.
Perry Mason is on so late.... :( My husband and I love Perry but we need to get up before 8am!

We do sometimes stay up for Cheers.

We think we're going to try Netflix as all the good shows are on late and we miss them due to being early risers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael