Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Else Have & Use a Clothes Valet / Valet Stand?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0533_zpsb76e1c01.jpg

Anyone who's read the "Thrift Store Finds" thread lately, will know that I scavenged that beauty up there, for $5.00., and in doing-so, fulfilled a dream I had for many years, to own my own clothes valet. Finally, a dedicated piece of equipment for looking after my clothes and keeping my room that little bit tidier.

Do any of you other sharply-dressed gentlemen on this Lounge own and use a valet? Did you buy it? Where? Was it new or second-hand? Or did you inherit it through the family from an uncle or your father or grandfather?

I have always thought these things to be unique, fascinating and useful pieces of history. They tell a story of how much men's fashion and style has changed over the years. So if you have one, share it here!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
One of those has been on my back burner to get list for quite some time. Unfortunately they are not common in our thrift/curios stores here...

Edward

Bartender
I fancy one (maybe with an incorporated Corby trouser press) when I have my flat finished. Not before! When I am teaching in Beijing, the hotel we use has one in the room, and I love it.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I have a Corby 7700 trouser press and I think it's one of my best acquisitions since I turned clothes horse. A normal valet stand wouldn't do it for me, the trouser press is what makes it really valuable for me.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I use the back of my desk chair. My wife hates it.

I used to do that. But I was sick of having to move my clothes everytime I wanted to sit down. And I was too lazy to hang things up when I was only going to wear them again in a few minutes, anyway. That's why I wanted a valet. A stylish solution to temporary storage.

One of those has been on my back burner to get list for quite some time. Unfortunately they are not common in our thrift/curios stores here...

Having a valet was on my back-burner for years. But I never really saw one that I liked, for a price that I could afford, until I saw this one :)

My wife got me one years ago, and I must have gotten rid of it during a move. I wish I still had it.

Oh dear! They can be handy. Hope you find it, if you still have it!

Rathdown

Practically Family
Like Rudi I too have a Corby trouser press (my third in about 25 years) and I'd totally recommend them to the gentlemen of the FL. My first was free-standing, but the dogs knocked it down and it broke. It was replaced with a wall mounted unit in my dressing room. When I moved to the United States in 2007 I sought out another wall-mounted unit and I am pleased to say that my trousers have the sharpest creases in Augusta County.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I have a valet very similar to yours. I purchased it when I was stationed in Newport, RI about 15 years ago. I think I paid $35 from a furniture store that was having a sale. I absolutely love it. I am in the military and it is a great piece of gear to place my uniform on.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have one that I use occasionally to hang a jacket (trousers hang by their cuffs in the wardrobe) but mostly I use it for the accessory tray, which is handy for all my pocket things.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I bought one a couple of years ago and do infrequently lay out the the next day's ensemble. It has a padded seat, two drawers, and a tray that holds coins, wrist watch, tie tacs, pens, etc. However, the jacket hanger is loose, and there's no place to hang pants, so I would one day like to get a new one.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Below is a picture of mine. I once had a vintage one, which was a hand-me-down from my grandfather. Unfortunately it got broken in a move, so I bought the one in the picture as a replacement. When not using it for photographing clothing, it lives in my bedroom. Part of of nightly routine during the work week it to layout my clothes and accessories for the next morning on my valet. I find it quite useful.

IMG_1980_zps5b5b9543.jpg

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
I like yours Guttersnipe, it's a bit different from regular valets.

Where did you get that mannequin? Do you use it too regularly, showing your suits and jackets to your quests? :D

Chopper

New in Town
I have one just like Shangas's, also a thrift store find, I think I gave 8.00 for it. I use it everyday, work clothes at night, knocking around the house clothes in the morning.
wouldn't be without it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Out of curiosity, does anyone know just how far back the clothes valet dates? When did they become popular/when were they invented?

My gut instinct tells me the late Victorian-period, after the American Civil War. It was around that time, coming onto the 1870s, that men's clothing styles really approached the styles we have today, in the sense of jackets, trousers, ties, shirts, shoes and hats etc. Prior to this time, with more...'elaborate'...men's clothes, a valet would've been impractical.

I've been using this beauty since around 1970. A unique, fully functional platform scale/valet made by Fairbanks Morse Scales of St. Johnsbury, Vermont circa 1960.
IMG_0565_zpsa0e1f9d4.jpg
IMG_0568_zps23e46945.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925