Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever treat new Aero FQHH with Pecards?

too much coffee

Practically Family
FQHH is chrome-tanned and any treatment will have difficulty penetrating the leather, especially a thick goo like Pecards. You wind up with a lot more goop on your jacket than in it.

Leatherique didn't do anything noticeable. It also may contain some kind of solvent which makes me nervous. Repeated emails to Leatherique on this point have gone unanswered.

Best thing for leather, especially chrome-tanned leather, is just to wear it. The goal is not to keep your leather "moist." The goal is to keep it flexible, and the best way to keep your leather flexible is to flex it (ie. wear it).

My 2 cents.

Great advice.

chopperama

New in Town
A small observation from personal experience, years of having it drummed into my head and recommendation of a tailor.

My father had a leather jacket tailor made some years ago, which I now own. When he asked the tailor what upkeep would be needed to keep it supple, his simple reply was "use either saddle soap, or clear shoe dubbing when it starts to feel dry".

Was the tailor wrong? probably not based on his many years of trading. Was he right? well, the jacket is still supple with only three or four coats of dubbing applied over a period of 25 years.

I used the same method on a very thick hide flying jacket. It certainly kept that supple too.

Last edited:
Great advice.

Actually, if you put the FQHH in the sun (which I did with an Aero sample) and let the Pecards warm up, it indeed soaks right in. I mean, it really soaks in. That's the key - but I didn't do the jacket. I'm wearing it now and it's ~56ºf here and it's stiff as a board. I guess the sleeping and throwing around the house hasn't affect this thing one bit.
How do horses run so fast??? :eeek:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Actually, if you put the FQHH in the sun (which I did with an Aero sample) and let the Pecards warm up, it indeed soaks right in. I mean, it really soaks in. That's the key - but I didn't do the jacket. I'm wearing it now and it's ~56ºf here and it's stiff as a board. I guess the sleeping and throwing around the house hasn't affect this thing one bit.
How do horses run so fast??? :eeek:

Hi ButteMT61;

Yes your right, it will soak in when the product and the jacket are warm. The problem comes in with repeated applications in a short amount of time (more is better, remember?). Sadly a lot of guys will adhere to that philosophy. What they have then is an oiled soaked jacket that Filson Oiled Tin Cloth would be jealous of.
I would apply any product very sparingly based on how the jacket was used.

How do horses run so fast? HaHaHa!!

Tony B

One of the Regulars
It is probably not stiff because of lack of breaking in, that leather if full of wax and the wax just "sets" when it is cold.

Aether

One of the Regulars
It is probably not stiff because of lack of breaking in, that leather if full of wax and the wax just "sets" when it is cold.

I'm no expert but I reckon Tony has hit the nail on the head.

Broken-in or not, Aero/Horween FQHH stiffens up when it's cold. That was the main reason I sold my King of the Road. For me it was too stiff and restrictive in the winter to be comfortable for riding.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Rejuvenator oil won't change the color, but in my experience, it will strip the patina. I know because I had a nice patina forming on the jacket and Rejuvenator took it right off my Highwayman. There must be some kind of mild astringent in it.

What color was your jacket? Fortunately since mine is black, I don't have a whole lot of patina at this point so I should be fine (hopefully). :)

D

Deleted member 16736

What color was your jacket? Fortunately since mine is black, I don't have a whole lot of patina at this point so I should be fine (hopefully). :)

Mine was brown. Leatherique didn't damage it, I just don't know if it did anything. New jackets don't need treatment, especially chrome-tanned. My veg-tanned A-2 probably benefited somewhat from a little dressing.

How are you feeling, by the way?

Navin323i

Practically Family
Mine was brown. Leatherique didn't damage it, I just don't know if it did anything. New jackets don't need treatment, especially chrome-tanned. My veg-tanned A-2 probably benefited somewhat from a little dressing.

How are you feeling, by the way?

Heart-wise? Feeling great and blessed to still be alive today, thanks! :)

Yeah, I agree... new jackets definitely don't need treatment.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Rejuvenator oil won't change the color, but in my experience, it will strip the patina. I know because I had a nice patina forming on the jacket and Rejuvenator took it right off my Highwayman. There must be some kind of mild astringent in it.

Great news! My experiment was a success! Rejuvenator oil worked GREAT on my jacket and it didn't strip the patina. It also contains no solvent and you can apply the stuff liberally with your hands.

Here is what is stated on the bottle: "An emolient blend of ph correct proteins and collagens formulated to penetrate, restore tensile strength, luxurious suppleness, and expel dirt... contains no harmful silicone, wax, or petroleum products."

I can see why Aero sells this stuff. :)

D

Deleted member 16736

You need to get a life if you have to be so negative. Calm down and show some respect for others, and maybe then others will show you respect too.

D

Deleted member 16736

Heart-wise? Feeling great and blessed to still be alive today, thanks! :)

Yeah, I agree... new jackets definitely don't need treatment.

I'm very happy to hear you're feeling well. Enjoy your jacket.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I bought a near new FQHH Aero Halfbelt. It was a size too large, so I used a drawing up technique, by soaking it in hot water, then drying it in a dryer, at a super low setting, with a dozen damp towels, taking it out every 10 minutes, turning it inside out at every cycle, drawing up, and it now fits me like a glove. The leather became a bit dry from this, so I used a coating of Pecards, which did moisten the leather, made it softer, and more flexible. I have a near new Highwayman in FQHH, which fit me already like a glove, so I won't apply anything to this jacket for quite awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97