Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone for a brand new crated Spitfire?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I makes me think of a story from around 1991. A journalist in Russia was in the hunt for a warehouse full of Harley Davidson motorcycles that had been sent from the USA to the USSR during WW2. I never saw him again, and have no idea if there was any truth in the story.

Peregrine

New in Town
I don't know what the truth of the matter is, of course...who said what to whom, and when. And from my point of view, it doesn't really matter so much that they are returned to the UK, just that someone, somewhere gets a few of them back up where they belong.

On an associated note, I was lucky enough to see ten Spitfires flying in formation at the Goodwood Revival last year. Magnificent sight and sound!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/goodwood-revival/8773783/Spitfires-at-the-Goodwood-Revival.html

loosebolts

Familiar Face
ok, cosmoline...let us pray there was cosmoline and that it has congealed over the spirfires and preserved them. there are vintage R-2800 engines packed in that stuff that look like they are brand new, but those are in sealed not wooden containers. i never thought i would actually hope for cosmoline in my life so much as in this moment. that and there was that rubbery green paint that British used to spray on things headed to south east Asia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner