Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone from the UK here? Need some advice on UK customs and a leather jacket EBay sale

Thuggee

Practically Family
Long story short sold a leather jacket to a buyer in the UK, ( shipped from Australia ) transaction happened through EBay, jacket now appears to be stuck in UK customs, buyer is now saying they are looking at cancelling the transaction, tracking shows “waiting for customs charges to be paid” or something to that effect, package was sent EMS fully insured/tracked for the full amount AU$900, the buyer is saying as they have no way of contacting customs they are looking at cancelling our transaction to get their money back , it’s been with customs for only 2 days or thereabouts , shouldn’t UK customs contact the buyer to collect the duty owed?I have a feeling I’m about to be screwed over by EBay and PayPal big time and out of pocket 1 jacket and $900, any advice would be helpful either for me or I can pass onto the buyer to resolve this I’m starting to get nervous, I should add before the transaction occurred I traded messages with the buyer they seemed aware of duty fees they would pay at their end so none of this should come as a surprise, I’m kind of feeling like I’m about to be scammed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thuggee

Practically Family
I’ll add this screen shot EBay/tracking it entered the UK 6 days ago & it now appears to be sitting with customs , buyers sent me a few messages now claiming it’s my fault and they are fast running out of patience & wanting their $ back
9dce9cbc50c82f33f61af64f3b96b21f.jpg

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m sorry to hear this.....seems to be occurring more and more often these days. Makes me a very nervous/reluctant seller on eBay.

Have you still got copies of the emails where they said they are willing to pay for customs on their end? Would be useful if/when they try to dispute the transaction.

Thuggee

Practically Family
Parcelforce will send a letter to the buyers address. The buyer is also able at this point to call Parcelforce directly by phone with the tracking number to pay the customs fee, I have done this before to save a day or two waiting for the letter.

Cheers thanks I thought it was something like that I’ve passed this onto the buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thuggee

Practically Family
I’m sorry to hear this.....seems to be occurring more and more often these days. Makes me a very nervous/reluctant seller on eBay.

Have you still got copies of the emails where they said they are willing to pay for customs on their end? Would be useful if/when they try to dispute the transaction.

Yes all coms through EBay he seemed aware of customs duties up front so I’m not sure why he’s being so impatient now, hopefully if all turns out ok, I’ve been pretty lucky with eBay for many years always makes me nervous though with items worth large amounts of money

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Parcelforce will send a letter to the buyers address. The buyer is also able at this point to call Parcelforce directly by phone with the tracking number to pay the customs fee, I have done this before to save a day or two waiting for the letter.

That's exactly it, if they still don't have the letter and are impatient, all they need to do is contact Parcelforce with the tracking number to pay the fee. Delivery is generally the day following payment.

robrinay

One Too Many
Even if he raises a dispute with eBay or paypal I doubt he’d win in these circumstances as it’s his responsibility as buyer to pay customs and a small collection charge that Parcelforce will charge on top of the duty. I’d advise you to contact eBay and speak to an advisor to reassure yourself and help to calm your nerves and raise the issue in advance with them just in case he’s upset when he sees the customs bill. The parcel appears to be at his local delivery depot - he just needs to go there with proof of identity and address (eg driving licence), and pay his dues and they’ll hand it over straight away. Cheers Rob

Last edited:

Fonzie

One Too Many
If it’s stopped in UK customs they will send him shortly a letter asking him to pay the fees, that’s the procedure. He just has to be patient, then pay his duty and they’ll send him the parcel no worries.
Different case is if he got buyer’s remorse, doesn’t want to pay and will make an eBay claim. Then you’re screwed.
Same thing happened to me and it was really hard for me to convince EBay that it wasn’t my fault.
Make sure you take pics of all emails, keep the postage receipt and any other proof of sale. Ask the guy about the custom’s letter if he received it.
I ended up getting refunded and the buyer lost the jacket.

robrinay

One Too Many
If it’s stopped in UK customs they will send him shortly a letter asking him to pay the fees, that’s the procedure. He just has to be patient, then pay his duty and they’ll send him the parcel no worries.
Different case is if he got buyer’s remorse, doesn’t want to pay and will make an eBay claim. Then you’re screwed.
Same thing happened to me and it was really hard for me to convince EBay that it wasn’t my fault.
Make sure you take pics of all emails, keep the postage receipt and any other proof of sale. Ask the guy about the custom’s letter if he received it.
I ended up getting refunded and the buyer lost the jacket.
So in fact you won and he won’t be screwed just inconvenienced

Last edited:

Fonzie

One Too Many
Even if he raises a dispute with eBay or paypal I doubt he’d win in these circumstances as it’s his responsibility as buyer to pay customs

Seems simple but eBay (almost) always sides with the buyer and the seller is considered guilty until proven innocent.
My experience putt me off eBay for good, they literally bullied me in some of the phone calls I had with them. Took me about six weeks to get my money back.
So make sure you empty your PayPal account ASAP if you have funds in it.
My advice.

Edward

Bartender
As others have noted, once it arrives in the UK and clears customs, he should be notified. The normal procedure is for it to go with Parcelforce, and they are generally reasonably quick at notifying the buyer. If they can't get to the buyer to leave a card (for example, if like me and many others the buyer lives in a block of flats with a locked security gate and so the Parcelforce bod can't get access while buyer is out / at work / elsewhere, then they send a letter in the regular post, which can take a couple of days. Soon as the buyer has paid the tax (4% import tax on total of cost of item plus cost of shipping, then 205 VAT on top of that), the item will be released for delivery.

I suspect either you've had the misfortune to have a nervous buyer, or it's a case of buyer's remorse (perhaps they have not bought internationally and faced a tax bill before, and are now facing paying more than they expected). You should be protected by the fact that eBay makes clear that all winnings bids entail entering into a binding contract, and also there are usually if memory serves automatic disclaimers to the fact that the buyer is responsible for any additional taxes which may result from a cross-border transaction.

dan_t

Practically Family
First: ONLY COMMUNICATE THROUGH THE EBAY MESSAGE SYSTEM.
Second: ONLY COMMUNICATE THROUGH THE EBAY MESSAGE SYSTEM.
Third: ONLY COMMUNICATE THROUGH THE EBAY MESSAGE SYSTEM.
You get the idea.
I’ve had these type of buyer initiated issues previously. Even though I had full transcripts of multiple conversations, eBay wouldn’t consider any of them whatsoever during the dispute process as they didn’t take place through the official eBay platform.
They’re bast#rds. Short & simple.
Good luck Thugee, I hope it all works out.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I’ll add this screen shot EBay/tracking it entered the UK 6 days ago & it now appears to be sitting with customs , buyers sent me a few messages now claiming it’s my fault and they are fast running out of patience & wanting their $ back
9dce9cbc50c82f33f61af64f3b96b21f.jpg

Once the parcel has reached the delivery depot it usually take 2 to 4 days for the customs invoice to reach the receiver of the parcel.
Once he pays he can choose the next available delivery day.

Mich486

One Too Many
Like others said above a letter from Parcel Force will be sent to the addressee with the amount to pay.

In fact, you don’t even need to wait for it, just go at your local Parcel Force depot with tracking number pay the charges and happy days.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Recently Parcel Force has been hugely inefficiency. I got one parcel sent back to the States last year because it was stuck at the custom without updating the delivery status nor any letter to demand for payment. Eventually I had to ask the seller to resend the item again (on my expenses of course). At that time, the last tracking point was that the parcel had left the country (USA) and on its way to the destination (UK). I believe that RoyalMail/Parcel Force's service is really getting worse and worse.

Provided that the UK custom is clearing the jacket, it takes at least 3-4days for the payment letter to arrive at your buyer's address. He/she can pay online with the tracking code and the jacket will be released. As long as it is on the tracking system, you are safe.

Thuggee

Practically Family
It would appear he now has the letter from Parcel Post regarding duty owed and he’s paid it , this is not before I’ve received several rude/angry messages through Ebay including swearing and rants about UK customs, somehow I’m partially at fault here according to the buyer, just no pleasing some people I always bend over backwards and go the extra yard in any transaction to accomodate people even nutters and I have encountered my share over the years through Ebay , I don’t think this is the end of this transaction he’s going to have some other issue with his practically brand new jacket I predict which he bought at 1/2 price retail from me.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, I too am sorry that this has happened to you, it seems a definite case of buyer's remorse. A couple of years back I bought a hat from a trader in San Diego in the US, although it was not on E-Bay.

Like you, I was given a tracking number. Once in the UK Parcelforce took over. Their driver left me a card explaining the amount of tax due. I took the card and the tax payment to the address on the card and they handed over the hat, simple as that.

For what it's worth, if a buyer and vendor want to take the risk, by inscribing the package with the words: "SAMPLES, OF NO INTRINSIC VALUE." you won't be taxed. but remember, the risk is all your's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner