Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have a Modern Open Road with the Cattlemans crease?!

chazwazzle

New in Town
Ever since first laying my eyes on this hat I feel in love! I know this might be frowned upon here since I like the cattleman and not the fedora style...but i know i can't be the only one! But since this is going to be my first big hat purchase ever, I like doing my research. I have searched for several pictures but nothing seems to come up but a few of LBJ and Buford Justice. Can anyone snap some pictures all the way around so i can get a good look at how the brim looks and of course other aspects of the hat once its on a head! Also it appears the brim is all up, all the way around...is there a way to bring the sides up more to give it a more traditional cowboy hat look without the front going up with? Thanks for looking and trying to help a hat-less friend out!

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
Cattlemans crease

I like the cattlemans crease although I do not have a modern hat. My Open Roads are all vintage. Here are some pics.
Feb112011001.jpg
Jan28OR002.jpg
BluegrassHappyPenguin009-2.jpg
BluegrassnightDec212011.jpg

I love the Open Road and like variations of the Cattleman. Such a classic look.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
By the way...no need to be timid about admitting your love of the cattleman's crease. Many of us here prefer it...or some variation of it. Here are some of my ORs and OR clones. As you can see, about three quarters of them sport a cattleman's crease.

sundaysdragon005.jpg

AF

Last edited:

chazwazzle

New in Town
JTOpenroad! Thats exactly what I wanted! And I love the bluegrass band! Since that's where I plan on wearing mine most of the time!

AF - i'm digging the old plantation vibe! I love that a hat can transform a personality so quickly! And that is quite the collection you have..............one day :eeek:

Jeff - awhile after posting this and about 50 next page clicks I came across your hat and some pictures in another post! And your pictures may be the deciding factor! Thanks!

I wish I could purchase a Vintage hat off ebay, but unfortunately my melon is huge! 7 3/4! I would love to try some on before purchasing but there aren't many stores out here in Montana that stock this size...let alone this hat. So it looks like Country Outfitter will most likely get my business! thanks so much guys!

DougC

Practically Family
I've got a 2007 with the cattleman and a more traditional brim shape--sides up and front down...great hat! It is the right size to wear to court and out to the barbeque pit.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've got a 2007 with the cattleman and a more traditional brim shape--sides up and front down...great hat! It is the right size to wear to court and out to the barbeque pit.
Every time I walk into court wearing a hat, our new bailiff glares at me. Its almost gotten to be a game. I time him to see how long it takes for him to assume his best Buford Pusser look to let me know I have my hat on...again.

AF

frussell

One Too Many
I love the look of the Open Road in a cattleman's crease, but found the new version a bit low in the crown for me. I've had better luck putting Campdrafts (silverbelly) in the same crease, with a bit more crown height like the old OR's had. I do have one semi-vintage OR that I've re-shaped dozens of times, but I always seem to come back to the old "LBJ" look, as it suits the hat, which definitely has some wear and "character" to it. Some guys here, like JT and Atticus really pull it off well, and show the style to its fullest advantage. One of my favorites for sure. Frank

chazwazzle

New in Town
Thanks for the pictures guys! I am a new owner of a Stetson Open Road....hopefully i will soon be a wearer of one too! The waiting is the hardest part!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda