Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have a Schott 641?

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Specifically the 641 in cowhide...I can't do horse...it's a personal thing.

I'm thinking of ordering one to wear on my bike. I don't know of any shops in my area that stock them so I was hoping to get a first hand report by someone here.

My questions specifically are....

1.) How is the fit? Did you go up a size like they suggest and if so how did that work out for you?

2.) Leather quality....I'm not expecting a Langlitz or Aero but how do you feel about the hide?

3.) Overall construction....is it a quality piece or should I look elsewhere?

I would appreciate any and all input....thank you.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I can't offer the information you are looking for, but I'm glad that you started this thread as I am also thinking of orderiing a 641. I will be very interested in the comments of others. I haven't seen too much in the way of info on this model on the internet as I have looked around. I think I would prefer this one over the 141, but I have many of the same questions that you have raised. One review that I read indicated that the person had obtained the jacket in their standard size and it was fine.

Mike

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a Schott 641 in cow. I originally ordered a size 44, which is one size up. It was too tight for my tastes, so I sent it back for a 46. The 46 gave me enough room to layer a sweater or a vest under the jacket, whereas the 44 did not.

I got caught in the rain once in the Schott, and it shrank a bit on me. Mostly in the arms. It is still a good fit, but just not enough for layering. But that's OK as I have plenty others to wear when I need to layer.

The jacket is well made with quality leather. It isn't nearly as tough as my Vanson, but still a nice hide. For my money the Vanson is a better jacket, and it is priced about the same as the Schott. I was going to get a Langlitz next year, but after I got the Vanson, I realized there was no need to bother. The Vanson leather is very similar to my Aero Highwayman and weighs 7.5 lbs. compared to 6 lbs. for the Aero, so it is probably a thicker hide.

If you like I can measure the thickness of the Schott leather with my calipers. You can then compare it to the thickness of the Vanson and the Highwayman hides.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
I have the 641 also, but in horse. I was never happy with the leather and continue to never really wear the jacket. I also needed to go 2 sizes up. Build quality was great and it's a very tough jacket, but I just never really liked the horsehide (it was back when Schott was fusing a felt to their hh to add body.. now they choose better hides that don't need the felt).

Tommer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic