Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know if Schott does Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales?

dannyk

One Too Many
Totally wish I were going. Its on my jacket bucket list. It seems gimicky and like a stunt. But I have heard some stories of people getting truly awesome deals, and a few who have found some awesome one offs and test patterns. So PLEASE report back to us and let us know how it goes!

Gamma68

One Too Many
Yes, please report back with impressions and purchases. According to Schott, they have a “$50 or less” room with one-offs and prototypes. Wish I could go.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
56f8ba36658d34771460937494ba9306.jpg
8357f87a9009f502602ed33dfd47b20f.jpg
a20d2814acd248e574d6167d89896458.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regius

Im actually done. Quick in and out. But this is only because I’m
Familiar with their current models and am
No longer a big Schott fan, their new patterns significantly fashionized the armholes and sleeves, 90% of their styles no longer fit me. I was struggling to put the jackets on among the avid buyers. Having said so, Jason was there and I said hi and mentioned I tried to apply for a job there. It was a massive scene to be seen, I couldn’t believe There still are Americans who care about leather clothing! The people
Looked happy, buying up piles (to resell I think), the men were having a blast trying on the cafe racers etc. Some women too, trying on wool coats. The devide between Perfecto buyers vs single riders and half belts was distinct, Asians tended to buy Perfectos and Grizzly, while traditional American middle aged white men buys the other styles. The classics (118, 618, HH) are still pricey ($600), while the coats tended to reduce for up to 80% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I just noticed that Taylor's Leatherwear has a bunch of their older cowhide police jackets up as $99 closeouts again. There are less styles and sizes than last winter, but these things are a steal at $99 if there's one your size.

http://taylorsleatherwear.com/shop.php#!/$99-JACKETS

I am very happy with the Chicago model I bought a year ago when the closeout first began... at $199. No, of course it's not comparable in materials and workmanship to an $800 jacket... but it's rock solid and very warm! If they had a New Orleans model in my size, I'd pounce.

TaylorChicago2.jpg

Gamma68

One Too Many
I just noticed that Taylor's Leatherwear has a bunch of their older cowhide police jackets up as $99 closeouts again. There are less styles and sizes than last winter, but these things are a steal at $99 if there's one your size.

I am very happy with the Chicago model I bought a year ago when the closeout first began... at $199. No, of course it's not comparable in materials and workmanship to an $800 jacket... but it's rock solid and very warm! If they had a New Orleans model in my size, I'd pounce.

View attachment 146745

Looks like they might have a New Orleans in my size. I notice these sale jackets are imported. How’s the quality of the leather, construction, etc?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The cowhide is thick, with a heavy matte black top coat and not much in the way of scent. It doesn't have as nice grain or hand as the somewhat thinner cowhide on my (much more expensive) Schott 654. It's not gorgeous leather, but it is very tough and serviceable.

Construction quality is good, the seams, zipper, and snaps are solid. The five(!) inner pockets provide lots of storage, and between the Thinsulate lining, pile kidney panel, and tight inset wristlets on the sleeves, it is very warm. (My only complaint there is that there isn't a better neck closure, I have to wear a scarf to really seal it. The cross-zip New Orleans looks better in that regard.) It's my dead-of-winter leather jacket: I haven't pulled it out yet this year.

In terms of overall weight, it's much heavier than any other leather jacket I've owned... but note that I'm mainly an A-2 guy, I've never had a proper, full-featured moto jacket. My old naked cowhide Schott 674 from the eighties was the heaviest before this one. I ended up getting an XL Long, though I'm only 5'8", and had four inches taken off the sleeves (just $25, and it still shipped immediately); I actually like the slightly longer-than-intended body length, it's not like l need room for an equipment belt beneath.

With what off-the-rack Schott and Cockpit jackets cost nowadays, I'd say these jackets represent good value at their usual $300ish prices... and for $99, they're awesome. More pics:

TaylorChicago3.jpg TaylorChicago4.jpg TaylorChicago5.jpg TaylorChicago6.jpg

Gamma68

One Too Many
The cowhide is thick, with a heavy matte black top coat and not much in the way of scent. It doesn't have as nice grain or hand as the somewhat thinner cowhide on my (much more expensive) Schott 654. It's not gorgeous leather, but it is very tough and serviceable.

Construction quality is good, the seams, zipper, and snaps are solid. The five(!) inner pockets provide lots of storage, and between the Thinsulate lining, pile kidney panel, and tight inset wristlets on the sleeves, it is very warm. (My only complaint there is that there isn't a better neck closure, I have to wear a scarf to really seal it. The cross-zip New Orleans looks better in that regard.) It's my dead-of-winter leather jacket: I haven't pulled it out yet this year.

In terms of overall weight, it's much heavier than any other leather jacket I've owned... but note that I'm mainly an A-2 guy, I've never had a proper, full-featured moto jacket. My old naked cowhide Schott 674 from the eighties was the heaviest before this one. I ended up getting an XL Long, though I'm only 5'8", and had four inches taken off the sleeves (just $25, and it still shipped immediately); I actually like the slightly longer-than-intended body length, it's not like l need room for an equipment belt beneath.

With what off-the-rack Schott and Cockpit jackets cost nowadays, I'd say these jackets represent good value at their usual $300ish prices... and for $99, they're awesome. More pics:

View attachment 146818 View attachment 146819 View attachment 146820 View attachment 146821

Thanks for the info. In what country was your jacket made? I have one experience with a USA-made jacket from Taylor's but it was too small and I flipped it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also once got a sale jacket from them - a $99 G-1, about 13 years ago - that was too small, which I returned.

This jacket has a Made in Pakistan label. No big surprise, Pakistan's a major leather jacket producer.

Edward

Bartender

View attachment 146745

Same one as I have (though I think mine may be an earlier model absent the same inside pockets: it's in my office across town so can't check offhand...). Great jacket for rough and tumble / any use where you might not want to risk your more expensive collection. If they ever came up at silly money, based on my experience of this one I'd be very tempted by one of their NYPD peacoat-style jackets. A few other nice styles in the range too. Bit different to anything else you'd see over here, where leather, aside from the small number of MC police, was never seen on any UK police force - at least not to my knowledge.

This jacket has a Made in Pakistan label. No big surprise, Pakistan's a major leather jacket producer.

I suspect it would now be impossible to produce anything of even significantly lower quality for that price in the US or UK. Pakistan has been a big source of 'fashion leather' in the UK for as long as I've been wearing leather jackets. Back in the 80s, it wasn't uncommon for bigger UK cities to have at least one or two leather garment shops run by folks from the Pakistani diaspora, typically working with manufacturers back in the old country. I used to love those, they smelled wonderful! I don't see these so often now: there are a fair few here in the East End, though mostly wholesale now. I think a lot of the retail side of the business has gone online now. Quality inevitably varied, though I certainly handled some really good stuff among it. Typically, at that cheaper price compared to Schott and the likes, there was always a proportion of them that were every bit as good, but perhaps - inevitably at a much lower price point - a markedly higher variation in quality than one might expect at a higher price point.

Fifty150

One Too Many
very tempted by one of their NYPD peacoat-style jackets

At the present, they are offering 30% off. A good price. Shipping is free.

upload_2021-12-15_23-16-27.png

impossible to produce anything of even significantly lower quality for that price in the US or UK

3rd world countries are capable of producing top quality. Nikes and iPhones from China. Harley Davidson motorcycles from India.

I have a few Taylor jackets. There is nothing wrong with them. The imported jackets are produced to meet Taylor specification and quality control standard.

The only problem is that in the back of your mind, you know that it's not made in USA.

upload_2021-12-15_23-19-36.png

Fifty150

One Too Many
It should be noted that for authenticity, if you are currently in a small handful of police departments which issue this jacket, this is the jacket you get. NY State, NY City, Philadelphia.....maybe a few smaller departments. Current officers, if lucky enough to work motorcycles or horses, are issued this jacket. There is no other manufacturer selling a competing product. It's not like California Highway Patrol, where the jackets could come from several manufacturers like Cal Leather, Johnson Leather, Golden Bear, San Diego Leather, etc. Maybe someday, soon, another uniform manufacturer will step up to compete with a made in USA jacket.

1_-_nypd.4497Z_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Edward

Bartender
3rd world countries are capable of producing top quality. Nikes and iPhones from China. Harley Davidson motorcycles from India.

I have a few Taylor jackets. There is nothing wrong with them. The imported jackets are produced to meet Taylor specification and quality control standard.

The only problem is that in the back of your mind, you know that it's not made in USA.

View attachment 387953

I've seen the sale, but I'm staying clear of it for now. Maybe next year.... or if the eBay gods smile on me again. US manufacture has never been a priority for me - it's another import over here, after all - though I can see a certain appeal in the notion of a public body 'supporting' a home industry. Like everything else, though, money is finite: I imagine given the choice between US-manufacture and losing their traditional leathers, that's the deciding factor.

In case anyone is wondering how the jacket is suppose to fit, or has some wild idea that the jacket should be tight and short.....
3068958380_e08282f287_b.jpg

7f3e5bffa72bcdf1f8a6053d47a9821a.jpg
3069204326_75deb3f478_b.jpg
Highway-Patrol-Seton-Foundation.jpg
3067388336_961cae722e_b.jpg
3085399327_302433fcfe_b.jpg
tumblr_oyktjaD3s01w9g10jo1_1280.jpg

I love how traditional that uniform has stayed. The Met over here have gone all..... short sleeves and combat trousers. Just not the same.... For me, a traditional uniform like this carries a quiet air of authority without the coercive edge that a more military-style uniform brings with it.

Wouldn't tangle with the guys in this last photo, they look like they could be pretty handy in a ruck. Love how these jackets fit, bit of room to them. It's a style - and length - of leather I've not yet played with in my collection, but I find myself drawn to these days.

MrProper

In case anyone is wondering how the jacket is suppose to fit, or has some wild idea that the jacket should be tight and short.....
3068958380_e08282f287_b.jpg

7f3e5bffa72bcdf1f8a6053d47a9821a.jpg
3069204326_75deb3f478_b.jpg
Highway-Patrol-Seton-Foundation.jpg
3067388336_961cae722e_b.jpg
3085399327_302433fcfe_b.jpg
tumblr_oyktjaD3s01w9g10jo1_1280.jpg
So one or the other of these pictured jackets but already sits quite tight... lol ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy