Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know of a book showing WW2 RAF Cufflinks?

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know of a book that might have a clear photo showing an RAF officer wearing his cufflinks?
My uniform books have nothing on the cufflinks and the various WW2 books I have which do have a photo of an officer with his blouse off are not clear enough to show detail of the cuff.
Richard Todd in the "Dam Busters" movie wears cufflinks, but I have my doubts as to authenticity. They are little more than a round disk.
Though probably a private purchase item, there must be something in the King's Regulations regarding cufflinks.

Thanks, John

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Does anyone know of a book that might have a clear photo showing an RAF officer wearing his cufflinks?
My uniform books have nothing on the cufflinks and the various WW2 books I have which do have a photo of an officer with his blouse off are not clear enough to show detail of the cuff.
Richard Todd in the "Dam Busters" movie wears cufflinks, but I have my doubts as to authenticity. They are little more than a round disk.
Though probably a private purchase item, there must be something in the King's Regulations regarding cufflinks.

Thanks, John

Take a look at the RAF cufflinks on the Brigade UK site :

http://www.brigadeuk.com/

I hope this is of some help to you.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Thank you W4ASZ. Brigade has a nice selection!

John

My thought was that perhaps the design of the cufflinks had not changed since WWII.

I have purchased some goodies from them and been most satisfied. They can likely tell you if the designs are the same today as in WWII if you want to send them an e-mail.

Good luck with your quest !

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
any private purchase ones will suffice, a lot of men made their own from two RAF brass buttons and a link. Very easy to find the privately produced ones on ebay ranging in quality and price.
K

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Great idea using the buttons! I think that forage/side/garrison cap size brass buttons should be about right.

Thank you Kitty!

B-24J

One of the Regulars
RAF Cufflinks

Here are two examples of RAF links.

The first is RAF that, perhaps, might be better on a mess dress shirt.

RAF-Link-1.jpg

RAF-Link-2.jpg

The second is from Kitty_Sheridan's suggestion which works very nicely. I purchased four inexpensive Queen's Crown cap buttons and tied them together with blue thread. Pocket buttons are too large.

RAF-Link-Button-1.jpg

RAF-Link-Button-2.jpg

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21