Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know whats going on with COW?

Sergei

Gone Home
Andiana148 said:
Well, it looks like everyone has to re-register huh?

No that would not be true. The whole COW php bullentin board is being transferred to the new hosting service. As you can gather, there are a lot of files (thousands) that need to be transferred via ftp from the old hoster to the new. It takes a lot of time to do that. So the expectation are all the historical posts with account information will be preserved.

Cross your fingers, everything gets transferred intact. MK just did this recently to the Fedora Lounge. He moved from one hoster to another. I think everything made it over except for about a few newer postings.

-Sergei

gobler

One of the Regulars
I have noticed a few test posts over at COW. I tried to log in :eek: but kept getting a wrong password/user name. Let us know if we do need to re-regester..gosh I hope not....

:cheers1:
Jeff

Sergei said:
No that would not be true. The whole COW php bullentin board is being transferred to the new hosting service. As you can gather, there are a lot of files (thousands) that need to be transferred via ftp from the old hoster to the new. It takes a lot of time to do that. So the expectation are all the historical posts with account information will be preserved.

Cross your fingers, everything gets transferred intact. MK just did this recently to the Fedora Lounge. He moved from one hoster to another. I think everything made it over except for about a few newer postings.

-Sergei

Woops.....well, Cooler King told me I had to re-register, and....oh great. Well, mods of COW, ignore my new name I registered under.. (I just registered undered Andiana without the '148'.)
I understand the number of posts doesn't matter, but it actually helped me know who was on the board longer and who may be able to answer sme questions I have efficiently. Oh well, I'm just a minor... :p

Michaelson

One Too Many
Why would Cooler King tell you that you had to re-register? There has not been anything posted anywhere that has said that to date. Regards. Michaelson

mmarosy

One of the Regulars
Ugh.

Crimeny people... take a deep breath and RELAX. There is NO need to re-register.

I repeat...DO NOT RE-REGISTER AT COW.

What is up now is only temporary and will be over-written when the database is restored. So whatever you do currently will mean squat. We actually expected it to be up by now, but as stated, our database is HUGE. We're still working on it and hope to have it up shortly.

Once up, we will need to do a major prune to the site. As AndyKev said, it's a combination of too many threads plus the amount of users at any given time that spiked our bandwidth and caused the problems.

So please tell CoolerKing and others to put down their "The End is Near" sandwich boards and quit spreading rumors of things they don't know anything about. All will be well in good time.

Sorry to be so brunt, but the workload on getting this thing working is wearing on us, and we don't need the extra hassle of putting out needless fires.

Mike

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
The efforts of all of you chugging away are appreciated. :drum:

Most of us continue to wait quietly. Take whatever time is required to get it done right, we will be ready to thank you again when you are done. ;) :cheers1:

Well said Jerry, here here!

Seriously, though, I think I've met some of the nicest mods, webmasters, and just people in general over at COW, and if it takes a whiel to get that back, I can wait for as long as it takes.

But..er..in the great wordsof Governor Ahhnold -
"DO IT NOW! COME ON! DO IT FOR THE PEOPLE OF CELIFORNEA!!!
DEIGEHAGAH!!!"

thank you. ;)

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Mr. Sable said:
I think COW being down has made me explore the Fedora Lounge a lot more, and that's a good thing, but I do miss the Gearheads.

I'd like to second that Sable. This past week has been incredibly informative for me, especially in the clothing department. I have to work on securing some higher yield employment, so I can start ordering some properly fitting clothes! My goal is to attend the next QM in style :cool2:

Dalexs

Practically Family
Yes It is true. COW is back. Handling the big database proved quite a task.
But in the end, you just knew who the winner wsa going to be!

Dalexs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy